Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by stripeddonkey »

No problem CC. I too am very soft on my girls. So much so that if they hear a rustle they will all run towards it from wherever they are hoping for a raisin or a bit of digestive biscuit >ch<

They have ad-lib pellets and nice greens as well as whatever they munch around the garden so they get a diverse and interesting diet.

That said, I wish I could get them out more. I'm terrified they get bored in the run now they know what the world outside is like. Made a rod for my own back there ! Am planning on extending the run this autumn for them.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I feel exactly the same as you do with regard to them being locked up. I always feel really guilty when I go to work because I lock them in their coop (Inside their run). I do this for safety as although the run is secure enough there is always the fear of something breaking in when I am not at home. The minute I get home I rush to let them out - yes I to have made a rod for my own back. Rose and Vi run after me when I walk up and down the garden - so much so that I have to be careful not to step on them. They must think I am Mother Hen with a never ending supply of treats just for them. Well I suppose I am!!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

That's the problem with chickens, they very quickly learn how to wrap us round their claws!! And are quite shameless ar resorting to emotional blackmail to get treats. Read the Henpals Diary and that will give you an insight intot heir sneaky ways! (But don't crack on you've read it as we're not supposed to!)

As far as worming goes, you could try the grape method if pellets are proving problematic. Cut a grape into 4, dip one of the cut sides in flub powder and carefully try to make sure each chicken gets a bit of flubbed grape. Repeat for 7 days (is it 7 on the dosage instructions?) It's not scientific and probably not the way it should be done at all, but quite a few people (me included) use it. The 2 flaws are that it's not a propoper scientific dose, and of course trying to ensure the greediest girl doesn't gobble up all the grape bits!

My girls still get treats when being wormed too, and I found the pellets didn't go down well at all, although it was easier when they were confined due to avian flu. And as long as they've got space and bordedom busters, they are fine in a run although they would have you think otherwise. We may have to do it again come winter if avian flu comes back again. )gr:
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Do you ever pour some water on your pellets to make them soggy, I do this with a dish every day and three dishes in the Peds house, they go mad for them! When I am worning the girls I just water all the pellets down to ensure they eat all the flub pellets
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Karen and Sandy for your suggestions. The flub powder with grapes sounds a very good idea indeed. Might be a silly question, but can you just buy the powder? Might try this next worming time. Yes Sandy the girls have 2 dishes for their layers pellets, one dry and the other I always put water on as they seem to prefer this. Not doing too badly with the pellets at the moment though with the help of boneless sardines in tomato sauce!!!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, have a look online. I need to get some myself. It lasts for ages as only use tiny bits of it, unlike the pellets which only have a short shelf life.

Some people only worm when they know they have wormy chickens - they will gave a worm count done & that way don't over-stress the system with unnecessary worming, which can be tough on them (although mine never seem to find it so, apart from the reduction in treats which is very stressful!)

You could try sweet corn, or scrambled egg if you fancy a change from sardines. Both go down a treat and I have used sweetcorn as a flub dose before now too!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Well for once it has been a lovely bank holiday weekend and that meant lots of garden time and play out time for Rose and Violet. I think it is their very best thing in all the world (apart from mealworms) to be let out in the garden to "play". They have been flapping and chasing the wild birds that come into the garden. Violet half flies, half runs, flapping like mad down the garden. She was so enthusiastic with her chasing that she bumped into the washing line crop (unhurt). Their antics are so funny!!! Rose loves to sunbath and as soon as she feels the sun on her body, her neck feathers come up and down she goes to lie in the sun. Funny thing is Violet has never sunbathed. She is the only girl I have had that has never done this - no matter how hot it is. It always amazes me how different their personalities are. Hope everyone has had a nice weekend and all flocks are well.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Who needs telly when you have hens eh?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi everyone. Hope you are all OK and all the flocks. Just a quick update (haven't done it for so long now). Rose and Violet are going on their holidays on Sunday for a week. They don't know it yet, however!! They are keeping themselves busy at the moment and enjoying their garden time when we are at home, eating lots of treats, dust bathing and generally having a good time - bless. They will not be happy on Sunday morning when we put them into the cat carrier. When they see it coming up the garden they run away and we have a right job getting both in. We get one in and then when we catch the other, the first one in jumps out!! Luckily they are very good travellers and once in the car will be as good as gold. The journey to the farm should only take about 15/20 minutes. They have not been to this farm before so it will all be a new experience. Fingers crossed it will all go smoothly. I need complete peace of mind to enable me to go from home and leave the animals and this farm has a good review as it looks after all sorts of small pets apparently. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi hope they meet a young boy as well.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hope Rose and Violet have a great holiday

.. and you too :-D Have a great time and I'm sure Rose and Violet will be in very good hands
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much Karen - Had a fabulous holiday and so did Rose and Vi. They stayed on a farm and were in very good hands with a lovely lady who had her own chickens, geese, donkeys and horses. I was in my element there it was a superb place. Rose and Vi had there own quarters - part of a field sectioned off with their coop in the middle. I don't think they have ever seen as much grass in all their lives. When we first dropped them off they were terrified of the horses, who were in the next field and I realised they had never seen a horse before. Apparently they did settle down when they got a bit more used to them. Must have been quite intimidating when you are only a little girl. The lady had 5 Rhode Island Reds (what big birds in comparison to my Warrens). They were old girls but they looked so healthy and that reassured me that this lady certainly knew what she was doing with chickens. When we got Rose and Vi home they were so happy running around and making sweet happy little noises. Vi got over excited we think as she seemed to sprain her leg later on in the afternoon. I couldn't believe it, I got them home in perfect health and then in her excitement she hurt her leg through running and jumping off her table. Anyway after a good night's sleep and a dose of Metacam this morning things seem to be improving, thank goodness. Hope everyone and their animals are all well - I've got some catching up to do with the diaries to see what you are all up to.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad you had a good hols , though Rose and Violet sound like they had a better time than you {rofwl}

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Break is good ,a good break is even better ,
Bob
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I love the way describe your girls CC and the things they get up to, the thought of them making those lovely happy lititle noises is so cute.

I can just imagine them obviously pleased as punch to be back home with thier doting mum :-D.

Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx