Louise's Chicken Diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Louise's Chicken Diary

Post by KarenE »

Hi CC

It's called Flubenvet, google it as you can get it from lots of places. You may even be able to get it from a country smallholder horsey type shop (ask at the counter as sometimes they have them behind & not out on shelves). It's quite expensive but it doesn't go off as quick as the pellets.
I usually cut a grape into quarters, then pop the smallest cut side into some powder, shale off any excess and then very carefuly (!!!) give each girl a portion. I say very carefully because it never works out like that! They aren't terribly polite.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much for that info Karen. I usually order the Flub pellets on line, so I will look to see if I can find the power and I'll try the grape trick!! Girls have had a lovely weekend, with lots of dust bathing in my borders - in fact yesterday when I had to go in I had to carry Ivy and Olive out of the borders. They were all having such a lovely time and Vi was actually purring. They are being a little naughty at the moment. They are waking up early (obviously because of the time of year), but they are "creating" and being very loud at about 5.30am. They have never done this before and are usually quiet until I get up to let them out. I was wondering if it is because I take the food out at night (because of the mouse situation) and there is nothing for them. Saying that I am always up before 6.00am, so they don't have to wait long for breakfast. Think it's a bit of a habit at the moment, but I worry about the neighbours - don't want any complaints.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Can you block the light from their coop? If it's dark they won't creat. Also are they in the coop till you let them out, or are they in the run and creating?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen - that's a good idea to block the light. Might try covering up the coop - thanks very much for the idea. They have a coop with built in run at the bottom, which they are free to come down into at any time as they are also in a walk in run. I think they are creating just to come out into their walk in run. Luckily I am an early riser and got up this morning before they had a chance to start!!! I'll be ready for bed before it's time to go to work!! Thanks again Karen - good idea.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

HI , You can try , I would suggest you take away all alarm clocks they maybe hiding.
On a serious note . They do not need light to crow .
One thing you cannot stop unless complete sound /light proofing (Or dr.uging them to sleep late ) because there is a dawn chorus . Wild birds will wake them up and they will join in.
Bob
Keep trying at least people will see the effort . (Then winter comes and you can lay in.)
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Everyone. Can't believe it's been so long since I have updated my diary. Rose, Violet, Olive and Ivy are enjoying their summer. Lots of garden time at the weekends and lots of dust bathing going on. Rose and Vi are always together and Olive and Ivy are always together. Vi still likes to give the little girls a little head peck every so often to keep reminding them who's boss. Rose is very good with them now. Babies know when to get out of the way and just seem to accept the situation, in their pleasant little happy manner. They will all be going on their holidays in September. Found a nice lady that will look after them while we are away so have booked them in with her. The lady at the farm that had Rose and Vi last year is not doing chickens any more. Think I prefer this set up though as they were a bit afraid of the horses and all the other animals and all the open space (I was worried about their security). Looking forward to a nice weekend, hopefully and I intend to do a good clean out of coops and run (bought some more Ground Sanitiser - so am going to give it a good dousing). Hope everyone and their animals are all well.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad to hear your girls are getting along well )like( Where is the holiday home CC?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Just catching up with everyone on the Forum and hoping all are doing well. We returned from holiday last week and collected our girls from a lovely lady who has been looking after them. The Outcome - Three healthy girls and one poorly Ivy. I must admit I was worried about the older girls Rose and Violet who have now taken to brewing softies. They were fine, but my poor little Ivy is very lethargic, crown dropped down. Knew it would be too much to ask for that everyone would be OK. Just can't put my finger on it. She has had a spa bath and been dosed with Epsom Salts. She has stopped laying and has a mucky bum. Thankfully she is still eating and drinking. I have made a vet's appointment for Thursday. Not sure if it was the trauma of going away or if the older girls have been bullying her. The lady said they had all been fine. Can't feel anything untoward and her stomach is not bloated. I'll have to take it day by day and if she does go any worse will make an earlier appointment. At the moment she is pottering around quite happily, but I can tell she is not 100% but I haven't a clue what's going on. I swear these chickens will be the death of me. On a lighter note, thank goodness all the cats were fine while we were away and have now forgiven us for the abandonment!!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Check her for bugs , worms and the general things like molting (new feathers ) .
It does throw them well off .
It is that time of year again .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Bob for your reply. She is only 9 months old so I am not expecting a moult this year. Can't see any bugs, but will get some wormer when I go to the vets. She has a very mucky bum, but is ambling around doing chickeny things and thank goodness she is still eating and drinking. Going to have another Epsom Salts bath later and a nice blow dry. Please keep your fingers crossed for her, she is still only a baby. Thank you.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi CC, sorry to hear ivy is under the weather. Perhaps she's been thrown off kilter by the move into & out of chicken boarding. Maybe moving into a strange environment has kicked off dome pecking order issues?

But mainly - the usual questions. Is she laying; when did she last lay; what's her crop like morning & night, when was she wormed last and what does her undercarriage feel like? Finally, any sniffles, raspy breathing, bubbly eyes or runny noses?
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I hope Ivy picks up soon, be interested up know her symptoms x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Karen and Sandy for your replies. I am so happy and relieved to say that Ivy seems to have picked up (touch wood - I really don't want to tempt fate here by saying this). She is eating and drinking well. She had a really messy bottom a couple of days ago so we gave her another Spa (Epsom Salts bath) and a dose of Epsom Salts orally. Her lovely bottom has returned so her runs must have stopped. She is pottering around with Olive quite happily and even jumping up onto the roof of the coop. She hasn't laid this last week, but I can feel no bloat in her stomach. Her crown was flopped over but it is looking more normal now. I am thinking along the lines of her being distressed with the boarding (possibly older girls giving her a hard time) or she has eaten something she shouldn't from the lady's garden. We had a vet's appointment this morning but because she was so perky I cancelled as I didn't want to stress her out any more. I will obviously keep a close eye on her - but - fingers crossed - I am hoping we are over the worst. To say I am relieved is an understatement. I am hoping she will get back to her laying then I will know for certain that she is OK. Thanks again guys - It's great to have the support from you all, especially when things go wrong.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I do like a good ending .
Gives one hope when bad times come round .
hope it is all ok .
Give her a hug .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks Bob.