The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

It is chucking it down with rain here today. The girls are mostly under the coop even although the run has a roof and there is clear tarpaulin round most of the wire walls. I'm in countdown mode to Tuesday and hopefully some freedom for my little flock. I have put up little fences to prevent the girls accessing under the trees where the garden birds perch and feed and have and will continue to disinfect areas of hard standing. The Virkon people must be making a fortune! Even although I'm in Scotland and there has been little publicized instances of AI here (one wild bird in Dumfrieshire) it is still with some trepidation that I let the girls out. Think I'm a glass half empty sort of a person and worry that the girls will happen upon it nevertheless.

Would be nice to hear how you all are coping and what the next couple of months have in store for your feathered friends.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Loving yet another new diarists diary, been away for a short while and some lovely new members have appeared )like(
Referring to your diary 'title' my absolute favourite moment in a film is the ending of Jurassic World with the 'tamish' raptors who so so resemble our girls running.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

sandy wrote:Loving yet another new diarists diary, been away for a short while and some lovely new members have appeared )like(
Referring to your diary 'title' my absolute favourite moment in a film is the ending of Jurassic World with the 'tamish' raptors who so so resemble our girls running.

Hi Sandy. Good to make your acquaintance. Yes I enjoyed seeing the girls ancestors in Jurassic World too )like(
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Definite red letter day today. Matilda laid her first egg. She spent 3/4 hour in the coop really quiet, making herself comfy in a nest box. She hardly made a sound but popped out the coop a wee while later leaving a little cream egg behind. Clever girl.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like( )c( )c(
Looking back at your pictures reminds me how they change.
Next big milestone 3 eggs the same day.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Mo wrote:)like( )c( )c(
Looking back at your pictures reminds me how they change.
Next big milestone 3 eggs the same day.

It is indeed. I was soooo excited when I first had two in the nest box, but three? That'll be ace.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Had a fab weekend. The girls are allowed out and accompanied me as I took advantage of Sunday's nice weather to tidy up the garden. I have also started making little tubes of plastic coated wire to place around emerging perennials that might be a tasty snack for them. By the time I finish this the garden will have a whole bunch of new architectural structures :?
manda

Post by manda »

Loving the posts....Hamble is gorgeous ...I love Barnvelders :-D

I call my lot the Rangiora Raptors :-D We've got Turkeys too ..often the lawn in front of my kitchen window looks like Jurassic Park {rofwl}

They're life changing aren't they?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hello,

I'm loving the pictures and especially your 'mirror, mirror' which made me chuckle!

Hope they are all doing well. :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

manda wrote:Loving the posts....Hamble is gorgeous ...I love Barnvelders :-D

I call my lot the Rangiora Raptors :-D We've got Turkeys too ..often the lawn in front of my kitchen window looks like Jurassic Park {rofwl}

They're life changing aren't they?

Life changing indeed. I have only had the girls since end Aug last year and already I can't imagine life without chickens.

You must post a photo of your very own Jurassic Park. It sound great.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Minxy wrote:Hello,

I'm loving the pictures and especially your 'mirror, mirror' which made me chuckle!

Hope they are all doing well. :)

Thanks Minxy. Girls are well. Now it's getting a bit lighter I am managing to let them free range for 40 mins in the morning before work and another half hour afterwards. They and I enjoy that very much. The weekends are even better as I am able to let them out loads.
manda

Post by manda »

I love our boys (Terry & Trev)
and they've proved their Turkey prowess and our Turkey numbers have grown this year ...
This young lady has 6 chicks... and this time has been a great mummy (sadly her and our other Jenny the first time round were appalling and only 2 babies survived).

These 2 chickens have each got a Turkey poult after they were abandonned eggs ot quite hatched in the nest...hubby stuffed one egg under each of these two who refused to get off their nests...and now they have babies that are the same size as them now ...every now and again they seem to look at them sideways like "what is going on here?" {rofwl}
We have lots of new babies at the moment (chicken wise) but no pics of them yet as the Mums get stressed when you get too near because they are so little.
This is what greeted me this morning
I know it's cupboard love because they know on my way in from work I'll fill up the feeder :-D
I love it though they're full of chatter especially the Turkeys...especially Terry and Trev who obviously have to make sure everyone knows they are in charge.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

is it just me. I can't see the pictures that have been posted?
Amber.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

amber66 wrote:is it just me. I can't see the pictures that have been posted?
Amber.

Sadly I can't see the pictures either {cry}
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

No I can't see the photo's either. I love turkeys, it would be great to see them.