The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by stripeddonkey »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , probably been eating shell fish and making Pearls ....
new one on me.
Bob

Jings, if only it were a pearl :-D The mystery goes on.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's probably a bit of weird membrane or something. I'm just guessing!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Bit worried tonight...

When I looked in on my chickens tonight, my 10 month old Barnevelder Hamble, started to cluck at me and brought up a little bit of slightly yellow liquid - I'm guessing two tablespoons worth max. There was no obvious smell and Hamble seemed unphased. She was as loud and alert as usual. The chickens had been in the coop for some four hours so hadn't had food or drink in this time. I felt Hambles crop and it was full as it normally is, not squidgy. What could this be?
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

stripeddonkey wrote:Sweetcorn! The girls are now addicted to it. I hang up or throw in a cob and the three girls have it eaten in no time. Broccoli is still welcomed but sweetcorn - jings, they love it.

Girls getting out for 40 mins before I have to go to work. They explore the garden then wander round to the kitchen. They duck in and have a nibble of cat food then toddle back out to the garden again. Some of my hostas are peeking through the soil. I'm making little wire tubes to protect them from scratching and pecking. Methinks I have my work cut out.

Hello darling! I'm back. I had a fabulous holiday and am now jetlagged. Cubans all keep chickens so I was in heaven! )wav( :-D

My girls love the sweetcorn too, as well as sunflowers. I grew some gigantic ones over the summer and placed the heads inside their run. They polished them off in no time at all. :-D

I hope all is well with you and yours.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Regarding the yellow liquid, if the crop is fine dont worry. My Ruby used to do this all the time, a sort of reflux
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Is Hamble still okay? No more problems?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:Is Hamble still okay? No more problems?

Hi,

Yes,thanks for asking, Hamble appears totally fine now. All I can think of is that I was a bit over generous with sweet corn and cabbage and she gorged herself.

Feel a bit rotten because the morning after her 'episode' I was eager to check her crop was empty and she doesn't like being handled. As I held her to 'have a feel' she was squawking which spurred her two flock mates to have a go at her - Hamble is lowest in the pecking order. Poor girl was traumatised and is now giving me a wide berth. I'm working on winning her trust.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Great news that everyone can let their chooks run free as of Wed.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

More Hamble news. She sat in the nest box on Matilda's egg for three or more hours yesterday evening. She grumbled when I lifted her off the nest. Could she be a little broody? She was OK today. It'll be interesting to see how she behaves tomorrow when she lays again!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

yep.
Broody girls can be a total different character .
Thanks for showing how to spell broody .Must remember it .
Bob
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Couldn't tell how long Hamble sat on the nest today as I was at work. She was off it and mingling with the other girls when I got home though.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you are home over the Easter weekend it might be worth turfing her out and shutting the coop after they have all laid. Break the habit while she's still thinking about being broody as it can be hard to stop once it's properly established. Certainly take the eggs away as soon as you can after they are laid. Not so easy if you are working.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, it sounds like she might be thinking about it. She also may just fancy a bit of peace and quiet in the coop. But keep an eye on her and as Mo says, turf her out if she starts doing it again.
Karen
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Thanks folks. I'll keep a close eye. Good news is because I am around and able to let them out, the leur of the garden is too much for Hamble to bare.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Spent Friday and Saturday working in the garden. Hamble, Florence and little Matilda had a field day. I was laying stepping stones and bedding in an arch so lots of exposed soil and beasties. I never tire of hearing their footsteps behind me as I walk over the wooden decking to the kitchen. It's almost always Matilda and often all three. They are like little dogs, following me around. They don't always come to call - unless they see me holding a corn cob - but they will come running if they realise I have moved to another part of the garden without them. Today was pretty miserable - lots of rain - so they were mostly confined to their run. Tomorrow is meant to be better so hopefully more gardening with the girls. Hope you are all having a great Easter weekend.