Davina's 2013 grow our own diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Re: Davina's 2013 grow our own diary

Post by davina112 »

Yesterday we ate the first of the sweetcorn from the Polly tunnel, it was delicious.
Tomatoes are ripening quickly now, froze some cauli yesterday.
[center][/center]Davina
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

davina112 wrote:Yesterday we ate the first of the sweetcorn from the Polly tunnel, it was delicious.
Tomatoes are ripening quickly now, froze some cauli yesterday.

Dont them sweetcorn taste different to what you buy in the shops looking forward to getting some off mine by the weekend >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Sweetcorn again for tea, gorgeous, but the butter isn't good for the waistline :oops:
[center][/center]Davina
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Well the garden is looking sad, and that's just how I feel about it. It hasn't been a good year, partly down to me I suppose but not totally. Holidaying first 2 weeks in September is not good. I had lost my enthusiasm when I arrived home.
Looking forward already to spring and the thoughts of what I can grow.
It feels like it is going to be a lonnnnnnnnng winter
I has spring cabbage in the Polly tunnel at this time last year, all I have in now are celeriac, not sure what they are going to do, but >fi<
[center][/center]Davina
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

davina112 wrote:I had lost my enthusiasm when I arrived home.

{hug} it can happen especially at the end of a busy season - sometimes I feel that way when there's so much to do and it all needs doing at the same time. Over the years I gradually shifted from the "freshly picked that day" and "harvest and deal with it right away" veggies to winter stores - often a lot of stuff does not need to be harvested or used right away other than keep a close eye on the weather (too much rain, frost forecast, pests getting out of hand - something that then needs attention) Even then, enthusiasm can wane and winter is a good time to rest up and before you know it you'll be rearing to get back into it, just to get outside for fresh air and look forward to new spring growth )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I know you are right LL, I'm sure come March I will be chomping at the bit and desperately wanting to get out and do something.
[center][/center]Davina
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

The veg patch has been weeded and tidied, and had lots of horse poo added to it, so it will be ready for planting next year.
Hubby has increased the depth of the raised beds in the Polly tunnel, and those too will have horse poo added to them this weekend.
The only thing I have left growing now are leeks and sprouts outdoors and celeriac in the Polly tunnel.
Hubby has had a great idea, bless him, 2 summers ago we made a walk in run at the back of the garden for the chooks as they dig up all the veggies, but I didn't like seeing them fastened in, so we tried to cover the veg instead. So next year we are going to plant the veggies that need netting in the run and let the chooks free range in the garden )t'
[center][/center]Davina