Als 2012 diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: Als 2012 diary

Post by HappyBob »

Cracking greenhouse that, must be a picture full of toms and cukes. Good job well done.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Thanks Bob, but its far from finished. I have never actualy used it, last year I let a mate put a few pots in but that the only use its had for many years. I will be taking the staging out completely on the other side to make room for pots on the floor. At the end opposite the door there is a lean to greenhouse, I am considering connecting the two to gether so the door at the other end (as it is now) can be taken out and that end completely glazed. There is plenty of room at that end for a grape vine and maybe a peach tree. I am just looking forward to getting everything done so I can paint it. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

What a fab project to have on the go )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I have started with the paint. )c( I will post a pic tomorrow.
I had a look at the area where the pigs were kept today and it has dried out nicely. Richard has inspired me toget things rolling so tomorrow I will fire up the old rotavator and turn it all over.
Still a bit early for me to get stuff in the ground but I may start a few things off on the kitchen windowsill. Hmm that will cost me a bunch of flowers and probably a box of chocolates.
Funny how growing things is either a very pink or very blue job in different houeholds. :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Think it's the weather factor more than anything Al, first nice day for about 4 month's !!

Strange how that gives the motivation )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

We have had a realy mild almost warm day too, no more than 14 degrees outside but almost a feeling of spring. )c(
Very little in the way of rain too so if we dont get any over night the ground should be just right. )t'
Sara

Post by Sara »

Wow thats looking good Al :-D
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I made a start with the rotavator but the petrol tap decided break and dump about a pint of petrol all over the red hot exhaust. yike*
It didnt catch fire but that is the first time I have seen steeming petrol.
I turned off the engine and retired to a safe distance to retrieve my fire fighting equipment.
That should be read as, ran away like a girl and fetched a bucket of water) {rofwl}
A mate has given me a very similar engine so its just as easy to bolt that on while I order a new petrol tank for the other engine. )t'
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Got the engines swapped over this morning and finaly got some serious rotavating done. :-D
Still got just under half to do but my arms are acheing so thats tomorrows job. )t'

AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I got a bit more rotavating done today so the whole plot has now been turned over twice.
Despite the rain its actualy starting to dry out nicely.
I am still undecided weather or not to go with raised beds, I have plenty of wood to make them so it wouldn't cost anything but time to make them.
All of the seeds I ordered online arrived today including some from real seeds which I am looking forward to sewing. I bought some tomato seeds from them and apparently each tom can get upto 1lb should be good for cookers. )t'
Still have to order or find my cucumbers though I grew socrates two years running and had excellent results. I tried a different one last year and didnt like it so its back to socrates.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Wow, that looks great! :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have you tried burpless cues Al?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

No I havent Helen, the thing I like about socrates is its an all female variety so no picking out male flowers.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

If you've had pigs on the ground, I'd be tempted to plant straight into it. It should be very fertile and things would grow really well. My husbands plot doesn't have any borders and we just plant straight into it and it grows really well. Im very jealous of your green house. Its beautiful! Have fun. )t'
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Thanks all,
I cant believe how well the pigs have cleared that ground, I haven't found a single weed or even any roots. Not bad when you consider before I got the pigs it was shoulder high with brambles, nettles and every other weed you can imagine. All I did was strim it flat and let the pigs do the rest.