Als 2012 diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Als 2012 diary

Post by AL37 »

This year I intend to scale up my veg growing. I have plenty of space at the small holdings which upto now has been wasted in terms of growing.
First jobs,
Fix up the large greenhouse on plot 2, the wind has taken out a few panes of glass I may even get round to a coat of paint.

Rotovate the area where the pigs were, they did a great job of clearing the weeds so as soon as the gound is dry enough I will turn it over.

The above rotovator, When I took over plot 2 there was an old merry tiller in one of the sheds, according to the previous tenant it hasn't run since he was a kid. It has a newish honda engine fitted, well when I say newish, they stopped making that engine in the early 80's but its newish in comparison to the rest of the rotovator. I will get on and see if its salvageable.

I will post some pics later. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Steve the Gas

Re: Als 2012 diary

Post by Steve the Gas »

Don't you have the pigs now Al? :?
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

No Steve, They have gone to a new home. We were broken into a number of times and the last time there was nothing to take so the attacked one of the pigs. She wasn't seriously injured but it was bad enough. Taking a few tools etc is one thing but atacking animals is an entirely different matter. I made the sad decision to rehome the pigs for their safety.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

{mr.angry} {mr.angry}

I understand. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

So sorry to hear about your pigs Al {cry} aren't there some rotters out there hey.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I got the old rotovator running yesterday but the ground is still to boggy to test drive it.
Today I will be making a start on patching up that old greenhouse. The wind did take out a few panes of glass so a day of glass cutting and siliconeing awaits. :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

AL37 wrote:I got the old rotovator running yesterday but the ground is still to boggy to test drive it.
Today I will be making a start on patching up that old greenhouse. The wind did take out a few panes of glass so a day of glass cutting and siliconeing awaits. :-D

Wow, how did you get the old rotovator running?
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

The main problem with it was a lack of spark at the plug so further investigation showed the ignition coil to be knackered. The coil on this engine is a magneto coil(it generates its own electricity from inside the flywheel). I replaced that with a car coil but now the engine has no way of making electricity so I had to set it up with a battery. Wired it all up and got a good spark. I then discovered there was no fuel getting through so I removed the carburetor and stripped it down. Nothing in there was actualy broken so I gave it a good clean and put it back together. It then fired up on the second pull.
Once I have had a few hours work from it with the auxillary coil and battery I will buy the correct replacement coil and put it back together as it should be. )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

:shock: You actually know what you are talking about this time, don't you Al? )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Nah, I made it all up. Mrs Al fixed it realy. )grin2(

+pinn+
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

This is the greenhouse as of lunch time today,

The gap in the side did have polycarbonate sheets in, they were smoked so didn't let a huge amount of light in. That is now glazed, I will be doing the roof above there also when I get my ladders back. :-D

I have replaced whats left of this door with an old glazed door that was on an old shed that I will be taking down.

Once I have finished the external glazing I want to remove this partition and door.

The old solid fuel stove, I would have liked to keep this, it has water pipes running all the way round the greenhouse but every joint leeks. I will probably take it out and put it in one of the sheds.
So not much to do then. :-D
It will be a few days before I get the paint brush I think. {rofwl}
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

AL37 wrote:The main problem with it was ........ )t'

So, basically, you rebuilt it.
:-D
Good job!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

got a bit more work done on the greenhouse today.
All the old staging was rotten so that is on the fire pile, You can see the old heating pipes under where the staging goes. I will be getting the scrap man out for those I think. :-D

Picture taken from the other end, looking a bit better. :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

It's lovely I am not at all envy}}

Well done for your hard work )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ooooh, lovely. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com