Paddys Patch

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Paddys Patch

Post by paddy graham »

Just took some photos of my jungle and as soon as I get help with posting them I will put them on.Only moved in here in October so not done a lot outside and as the place had been empty for about six years you can guess what the land is like.Because of health problems last year I never even tried to keep a garden and the year before I had a large corner of a field,but,as a few from the old forum may remember,just as everything was begining to come good the farmers cows got in,what they never ate they trampled so lost heart there a bit.
This time its all mine so I can only blame me if it goes wrong.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Paddys Patch

Post by Benny&Co »

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Paddy )t' :-D

This might help you with uploading them, if you have Photobucket
http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12564
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you, Paddy, but it will be so rewarding. I'm looking forward to the pics too :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Paddy, what grows well where you live? Besides potatoes :-D What do you plan on growing?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Well its always well watered as we get a lot of rain.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Lillia wrote:Paddy, what grows well where you live? Besides potatoes :-D What do you plan on growing?

Spuds and cabbage, )t' .Ithink,after doing a bit today.looking at the soil,almost anything will grow.This land has not been used for veg for at least six years so hoping for the best ever.Took a lot of "sally" sticks back end of last year so have been putting them in today as I want an instant hedge this year and they will grow anywhere,also started turning over a plot for onion sets at the weekend.Though we do get frost here,its not very hard frosts as the sea is only just a stretch away so hopefully I can get lots started a bit sooner than anyone inland.
As Maggie said,there is not a problem with watering here,and she lives only about 30 mile from here.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Great~ now what are sally sticks, please? Googling it didn't help :-D Hope you post your pics.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Lillia wrote:Great~ now what are sally sticks, please? Googling it didn't help :-D Hope you post your pics.

"Sally"or "Withy" are both names,sadly not used much nowdays,as a lot of old,local names are forgotten,shame but thats the way of things.Anyway back to Sally,they are Willow trees,and will grow fast and almost anywhere,so hopefully in a couple of month I will be able to start Knitting them into each other like hurdles,and maybe next year will be able to cut them back and dry the sticks for weaving.
Will try and work out how to put photos on in the next few days,Knowing me though,dont hold your breath lol.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

paddy graham wrote:
Lillia wrote:Great~ now what are sally sticks, please? Googling it didn't help :-D Hope you post your pics.

"Sally"or "Withy" are both names,sadly not used much nowdays,as a lot of old,local names are forgotten,shame but thats the way of things.Anyway back to Sally,they are Willow trees,and will grow fast and almost anywhere,so hopefully in a couple of month I will be able to start Knitting them into each other like hurdles,and maybe next year will be able to cut them back and dry the sticks for weaving.
Will try and work out how to put photos on in the next few days,Knowing me though,dont hold your breath lol.

I see, Paddy, it's like what they did in, "Tales fron the Green Valley" then :-D I thought that was so clever! Aah, take your time on the photos...hearing about it all is good enough for now.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Yes like that,but these are or will be a living hurdle that grows thicker every year.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

You sound like a man with a plan Paddy, good luck with your new land and look forward to seeing your pics )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap