Jannie's 2012 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Jannie's 2012 Diary

Post by jannie »

Haven't posted here for 2 weeks because .... apart from watering the greenhouse and pulling weeds ..I haven't done a thing in the garden. :oops: There is so much I need to do but this weather is really holding things up .. The potatoes in bags need to be hardened off to go out ..but the hail storms would finish them

I need to get the tomatoes , peppers and chillies into the greenhouse but there's no room..

The courgettes have flower buds on ..so need to go into their final pots .. but I can't put up my cold frame as the garden is still a building site .. hubby is trying to lay the slabs but weather is holding him up too }hairout{

Getting really worried about my bedding plants .. They were all sowed the same time some are really strong but some are showing signs that they are dampening off }hairout{

It has to be the compost!! }hairout{ .. had to buy some as I used all my own in the new raised bed ..I started a new bag for the petunias and they are great, but the impatiens and lobelia look really sad .. will try and pot the best of them into fresh compost this week to try and rescue them.

pansies are growing well ( sorry Lizzie {hug} )

and I have flowers on the potatoes in the little polytunnel .. don't ask me why but they are growing like triffids !
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I know how frustrating the weather can be Jannie, a few weeks ago I was disheartened at how well every one else was doing but now I am catching up just a bit as our weather has been a bit kinder recently, cold but at least mainly dry.
I am losing seedlings too and blamed it on the compost but now I wonder if its caused by very strong paint fumes. Eck glossed the paintwork in the hallway next to the little room the seedlings are in and the smell is still lingering.
I must say apart from the bedding plants your produce looks wonderful )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Not bad Jannie }hairout{

I have had some morning glory die off think that was damping off, such a shame, the temp in the greenhouse really isn't good enough to keep it all moist but nice and humid, lets hope the damp stops soon and we have some dry weather >fi<
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Annie .. I think it's got to be the compost with mine.. everything that's failing is from the same bag .. it's probably old stock that has got the mold spores in. Thank goodness it seems it's just the one bag )t'

It's difficult getting the humidity right isn't it Perchy .. I am back and fore the greenhouse like a yo-yo opening and shutting the windows when the sun comes out .. it's not getting warm enough to open the auto vent }hairout{
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Went out the greenhouse to sort out the plants that are suffering and pot on the cucumbers ... the skies went black ..then the thunder and lightening started ..I got really scared and ran in the house blubbering {cry} .. gosh! I feel silly now the sun's back out :oops: {rofwl}
perchy

Post by perchy »

{hug} {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

All looks grand Jannie )t' :-D

I put some spuds in a bag a good while ago now and nothing much has happened - wonder if it's because of the hail stones? Didn't realise >dum<

See I learn so much from you lovely folks on here {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jannie wrote:Annie .. I think it's got to be the compost with mine.. everything that's failing is from the same bag .. it's probably old stock that has got the mold spores in. Thank goodness it seems it's just the one bag )t'

It's difficult getting the humidity right isn't it Perchy .. I am back and fore the greenhouse like a yo-yo opening and shutting the windows when the sun comes out .. it's not getting warm enough to open the auto vent }hairout{

Hi jannie

Dont know if you use a peat free compost or not ,unfortunately some are from recycleing plants ie kitchen and garden waste ,some of the garden waste can contain weed killer from grass clippings .I have had some problems myself ,but this year NOT used peat free recycled and had no problems ,coincidence or not .Hope every thing picks up for you ,but the weather is alot to blame.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

That's a good point about the compost Bill )t' .. It's amazing the difference between each bag isn't it .. hopefully won't have to buy any next year, as I don't get any problems with my own :-D
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Weathermen got our forecast completely wrong today and I spent most of the day in the garden in lovely sunshine :-D

The potatoes in sacks are now out of the greenhouse and starting to flower

The courgettes are in their final pots in the greenhouse and, though a little spindly from being kept in the house too long, have baby courgettes on them

The Broad beans have flowers on

The runner beans are hardened off and ready to be planted out tomorrow

The bedding plants are now out of the greenhouse into the temporary cold frame on the new courtyard which is still not finished because of the wet weather but getting there )t'
the mini fruit trees in the new raised planter are in flower and all the herbs I sowed have germinated and are growing well.

picked the first of the mixed radishes for tea .. they were all shapes and sizes but delicious
Image )grin2(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its really not a nice trait to own up to but Jannie I am so envious of your veggies , so much in advance of mine and they look really healthy too. I know you have had a fair bit of the wet weather but are you in a fairly sheltered spot ? My sisters caravan in Saundersfoot seems to miss a lot of the deluges and the garden around each of the caravans are always a picture of health. Wonder if Eck would move to Wales ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thankyou Annie {hug} ..Yes we are in a very sheltered valley .. we do tend to get a lot of rain but we're sheltered from the damaging winds. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures Jannie :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

A week away and I came home to a alien garden..I can't believe how much everything has grown .. :shock: ..

I planted out the runner beans just before I went and they are now climbing well,

The courgettes have lots of babies on them so will be tasting them soon

The broad beans have more than doubled in size and are covered in flowers,

The cabbages and caulis are doing well even though son forgot to water them

The potatoes are taking over

I put my hand in the compost to see how their doing and straight away found....

going to have some for dinner tonight :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

}hairout{ }hairout{

I cannot believe you have been away for a week and your garden is still like Gardener's World, all that worrying for nothing!!

Don't look at mine {rofwl}