Annie's will I bother diary ?

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Maggie1

Re: Annie's will I bother diary ?

Post by Maggie1 »

I don't know the youngsters of today eh. Its just take take take {rofwl}
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Think I have got the bit betweenmy teeth now )c( .
Saturday was spent giving the front garden a tidy - job not completely done but looking much better.
Sunday was , chuck everything out of the greenhouse and scrub inside and out and wash down the inner shelving from plastic greenhouses that I use for staging . Put back ONLY that which belongs in the greenhouse (though I did spy the boules set in a bucket) and give yourself a pat on the back Annie.
Today I dug in some more of the woodchips that Eck had dug out from the hens garden yesterday, to make a potato patch - its under the ornamental cherry tree so not certain if its a great place for tatties but only got 10 to go in there so >fi< . In the raised bed I planted 3 rows x 6 of white onion sets and put a clear plastic cover over to keep them protected. In the greenhouse I have started cosmos,tomato and pepper but they may have to come into the house at night as it is going very cold late on. When I did the clear out I unearthed 2 laundry baskets so lined one with plastic , punched holes, filled with compost (it weighed a ton , glad Eck was about) and sowed a few parsnip seeds , I reckon the basket will be plenty deep enough to get a few decent roots.
Nipped into the garden centre before my 2nd shift and bought 6 new strawberry plants for containers on the patio and 8 plug geraniums and a packet of Balconi yellow toms (thanks Helen).
All the seeds I planted last weekend are through and thriving ; 2 types butternut squash,green courgette,coriander,cauliflower (about 150 seedlings yike* ),lupin and sweet pea. I have put half the sweet pea into the greenhouse , I am hoping they will tolerate the cold nights.
Tomorrow if I have time its sowing Balconi toms, nasturtiums and potting up the strawbs but I am going into Glasgow with Eck in the morning so it will have to be teatime I tink before I get the chance.
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear - I hope you like the toms. The plants look like they have got a disease as they curl! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Todays chores , pot on some plug plant geraniums, start these freebie gladioli off in big trays of compost, Sow some Amsterdam carrot seeds in big rhino tub and get on with a bit more weeding. My Vicky plum looks done for - moving it 2 years ago did it no favours so am on the lookout for another one to plant in our bit of garden , none in the garden centre where I got the last one from. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow as the forecast says , still got lots more to do.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Todays chores in the garden ;
Plant my 2 roses I bought yesterday.
Prick out some of the cauliflower seedlings - I did 30 but must have 4 times that many -what a waste.
Sow 30 onion sets in compost to start in greenhouse
Plant 10 seed potatoes - 1st earlies - 5 in a big rhino tub and 5 in a compost bag (too many in the bag really but 2 of them were very small.
Sow 18 broad beans seeds in pots

Now in the greenhouse I have in tubs,baskets,trays or pots
potato,parsnip,carrot,onion,broad bean,cauliflower,marigold,gladioli,courgette,and 2 types of butternut squash
and in the house in seed trays
red and yellow cherry tomato,peppers,cosmos,marigold,nasturtiums.

The best news was a text I received from my friend at the smallholding saying the veg patch is now dug over (I didn't think in a month of Sundays her son would do it) and asking what was the planting plan for this year ? Off to see her on Tuesday to make those plans )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done Annie, you had better rest, as you will have the veggie patch to do now )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Toddled off to see the result of my friends sons digging and was impressed , more land opened out and levelled a bit as well - then I found out it wasn't the waste of space of a son but in fact his Dad that got stuck in so )app( to Robert.
My friend had loads of seeds that had been donated to us so we sifted through and apart from runner beans and carrots and rocket of which there were about 6 pkts each, there was a fairly good selection.
I came home and sowed,french beans (climbing and bush),3 types of cabbage,brussels, celery,mini sweet corn - I left the beans in the greenhouse but the rest are through in the little sitting room - more for Eck to moan about {warn} . Its been dull and cold here today with a few spits of rain , maybe tomorrow it will rain properly. Must pinch out the sweet peas tomorrow and maybe pot on the lupins.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Am glad it was ok for you, not to worry who dug it, it is done )c(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Today we have SNOW ! Just checked the seedlings in the greenhouse and they are non the worse looking, on the bright side the couple of Spring tubs we have look quite pretty decorated with snow around the yellow daffs and purple and red polyanthus.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Have thought about you all this morning, I have to say I like to see the spring flowers poking through snow, so pretty )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Well the seedlings are sprouting well indoors but there just isn't enough room so some things are having to go outside - rather too soon . Its all the fault of the unseasonal sun in March kidding me on that it was ok to sow seeds {warn} I haven't lost anything yet overnight in the greenhouse but neither is anything putting on anymore growth ,its mostly flower seedlings anyway as they are less important, I suppose, still hope I can keep them going though >fi<
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Well I spent some time today pricking out the seedlings - got to admit I get a bit bored after a while, anyway now have sprouts,red cabbage,savoy cabbage and some other cabbage (dont know why I have so many cabbages {rofwl} ) growing on >fi< .
Bought another titchy greenhouse for the shelving unit today as the weather is so up and down , I daren't leave anything but the toughest out in the greenhouse just yet , all this stuff I am potting on has to go somewhere !
Will get on with the peppers and toms tomorrow but they are a bit easier to handle , I am sorry to say the brassicas were a bit spindly .
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I see the tatties in the rhino tub and compost bag have both started sprouting and the carrots in the other rhino tub are also just coming through . Plenty of growth in the onions out in the raised bed and the ones in the greenhouse have also got signs of growth . I took some of the seedlings up to my friend to look after , to give me a bit more room as I want to start runner beans off this week . We raked and did a bit of weeding then got round to sowing our 1st row of veggies - 1 row of kelvedon wonder peas )c( .
Helped myself to some of Vals rhubarb and came home and made a crumble - lovely grub !

I posted somewhere that I was expecting free seeds from burds eye as there was an offer on the frozen peas I used this week, when I got home there was a note from the postie saying I had to collect the parcel from the p.o. 5 miles away as it needed a signature - what for free seeds {rofwl}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

You'll have to ask for redelivery. :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.