Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Re: Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Post by Mallard »

Not seen a ladybird like that, but according to google it's a friendly aphid eater!
Nice work! )t'
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Thanks Mallard, if its anything like last year with all the white fly I'll need all the help I can get!
I went up today and planted the last potatoes before we get all the wet weather they've promised for tomorrow. Ive got dwarf beans beginning to show in the greenhouse, and radishes coming up in the ground. Everything is looking much better for the bit of rain we've had. )t'
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Managed to get this morning at the allotment. I tidied one side of the greenhouse. I didnt have a proper shelf under the table on one side, so I used dahlia stakes and cut them down to fit, then wired them to the table and put rabbit wire over the top so nothing can fall between the stakes. I got some of the paths weeded too. My seedlings in the greenhouse are doing well, I have baby tomato plants, aubergine and my dwarf beans are doing really well. :-D Im glad I went this morning because we had thunder and lightening this afternoon and lots of rain. )t'
Image Apple blossom starting to come out.
Image Bertram the paint your own Gnome. I was given him at Easter by my OH because I cant eat chocolate. My Gnome is much better because I have him for ever. He's living by the big pond.
Image The bottom shelf is the one I put in today. :-D
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Looking good Sue, isn't the blossom pretty, I love this time of year.

Love the gnome, how kind {hug}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Thank you Perchy. I was amazed when he gave me the gnome, because he doesn't really 'do' Easter, I cant eat chocolate because it brings on my Menieres disease, so I get a bit left out, so my gnome was just perfect.
perchy

Post by perchy »

little brown hen wrote:Thank you Perchy. I was amazed when he gave me the gnome, because he doesn't really 'do' Easter, I cant eat chocolate because it brings on my Menieres disease, so I get a bit left out, so my gnome was just perfect.

lovely thought Sue even better when you are not expecting it {hug}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Image Inside the greenhouse
Image Aubergines.
Image Dwarf beans.
Image Tomatoes, not as big as Perchys, :-D but getting there.
Image It looks rather weedy, but hopefully it will get bigger. or I'll go and buy some from the garden centre
Image Apple blossom starting to open.
Image I only put this in a month ago, but its flowering! )app(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thats a busy looking greenhouse Sue, mines the same stuck all over the place, I so need to get some outside but still too cold up here. I have a load of stuff needing potted on too - help.
The new tree that you have blossom on, do you mind me asking where you got it from ? Was is a garden centre or another kind of store ? I ask because I want a new Vicky plum and they are so expensive in the garden centres at least £40 but I notice one or two places selling bare rooted ones for less than £10 but can't make up my mind whether to give one a go or not.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Image Bought this box to put my environmesh in, This emptied the second shelf down as in the picture below.

Annie, I think I bought the cherry tree in B&Q. I say think because my memory has totally failed me and Im not sure. :oops: I do remember it was 2 for £25 and I swithered over that, and just got the one. Sorry Im not much help. I've been trying to remember since yesterday, but if I do remember I'll pm you.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Went to the allotment to plant a blackberry, and a climbing plant. Found the label for the cherry and it was from B*Q. Ive also bought a pear tree, but thats still to be planted.
I bought fish for my small pond. They are Rosy Minnows and really tiny, they spend most of their time hiding, but hopefully they'll get brave soon and we'll be able to see them.
I got some new shelves for the greenhouse. They are narrower that the previous ones, and give me more room in the centre of the green house.
Image New shelving.
Image Tree peony starting to open.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Sue, I think I might just pop along to Beeq on Weds ( use my diamond card) and see what fruit trees they have )t' . I use the inside of mini greenhouses for my 'staging' in the greenhouse - I find it quite strong enough and easy to wipe clean and at between £10 - £20 a heck of a lot cheaper than metal shelving. Still not much room in my greenhouse but thats probably got something to do with the 2 garden chairs in there - Eck and I like a cuppa in the greenhouse )cof( {rofwl} .
Tree peony what a beauty !
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Thanks Annie, I love my tree peony. I have one at home thats lilac, and the flowers are the size of a dinner plate! I bought a pear tree yesterday and that was beeq and £20, so hopefully your branch has some in stock.
Im blowing my own trumpet here, but our Warden asked me if I would be a sub warden keeping an eye on the block where my allotment is. There are other sub wardens looking after other areas in our site, so I was quite chuffed he asked me and I said 'yes'. :-D
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

little brown hen wrote:Thanks Annie, I love my tree peony. I have one at home thats lilac, and the flowers are the size of a dinner plate! I bought a pear tree yesterday and that was beeq and £20, so hopefully your branch has some in stock.
Im blowing my own trumpet here, but our Warden asked me if I would be a sub warden keeping an eye on the block where my allotment is. There are other sub wardens looking after other areas in our site, so I was quite chuffed he asked me and I said 'yes'. :-D

Sue I am hoping they have a vicky plum tree for me . What will you be required to do as a 'subby' ? If you like I have a spare lollipop lady jacket that might make you look more official {rofwl}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

That would be fun, it would look very official. I just have to keep an eye on the block where my allotment is and let the warden know if there is a problem. There are chickens as well as veg to look at, and I always have a little cluck with the girls when I have a wander. I planted my tree today, not where I originally was going to put it, but Im pleased with it. I also planted out three of my tomato plants. I have them in a 'tent' so hopefully they'll be alright, and my dwarf beans were growing out of the bottom of their pots, so Ive put them in too, and they are under a tunnel, so hopefully they'll be fine too. I just hope it warms up a bit, with better temperature and rain everything would get going and could be planted out. Fingers crossed for next month being a bit better.
Image Dwarf beans.
Image The tunnel for the beans.
Image The tomato tent. There's supposed to be a growbag, but Ive planted straight into the ground.
Image The peony opened up.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Oh boy, I went to put down new bark chippings where the paths are getting really boggy, and found my two big cloches had been blown over, one was infront of my greenhouse, the other on my neighbours plot. I got them sorted, and managed to weed the areas where they had been before I put them back. I put the cover on one of them, and weighted the bottom of the cover down with bricks, and the other I just put the frame up with bricks resting on the bottom. I did get my paths done by putting plastic down and shovelling chippings onto it and driving them back to my plot. I did two trips and got all the boggy bits done.