Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Re: Sues Vegetable Diary 2012

Post by little brown hen »

It was dry and almost sunny this morning, so I cycled to the allotment. I got a bit of digging done, and planted cabbage and brussels sprout seeds. I put cut down water bottles over them to try and keep a bit of warmth and for them to grow into.
The potatoes are doing well, I banked them up on Thursday. I had some clarkia growing in the plastic greenhouse, and it was getting rather big, so I planted 3/4 of the tray out beside my fruit bed, then I decided to cover them with a cloche so they wouldn't get too cold. I'll give them a few days out and then uncover them.
The back of my greenhouse had a corner broken off one of the pieces of glass, so I patched that up with another piece of glass.
Image A corner of my allotment.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Sue, I love your scarehen crow {rofwl}
Its been a lovely day up here for the garden too but we are getting really cold nights and some of my things are suffering {cry} .
Keep up the good work
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Annie my scare-chickens were in a book my sister in law gave me when we first started growing things, and I didn't have hens, so I used potato sacks and plastic bags and a big stick and made my own.
Have you got any gardening fleece? That is good for keeping plants warm when the weather is rubbish, it lets the rain through and can be rinsed out if it gets muddy and you want to store it.
I went up today on the way home from church to tape up the broken glass on the back of the greenhouse. I put a odd shaped piece and used a little hooky thing to rest it on, and used the clip on the side to hold it in place, now it has waterproof tape on two sides so it shouldn't fall off, and the greenhouse wont have water coming in up there. I am getting leaks in the bottom. There are two gaps and I'll plug them when I take the fleece down from the roof and sides. I'll empty the greenhouse out and tidy it all up again and I'll be able to make it completely water proof. I hope. )t'
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Love the scarehens, as well as a scarecrow, dog and cat, I think a scare hen is in order! )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Went up to the allotment with wood tied to my trike. I put it on my strawberry frame to give the lid something to rest on. It made me realise how wonky the strawberry bed frame is, but I'll sort that next winter.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Sue I have always wanted a trike - though not up here as its too bloomin hilly !
Your lottie is surely coming along
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

My trike is wonderful, but I couldnt have had it when we lived in Penicuik,cos we were up a hill! Allotments doing ok, just need the warm weather. We're off on holiday next week, so hopefully by the time I get back, I'll be able to do some serious planting. :-D
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Spent 5 hours on the allotment today. We've been on holiday for a week, and its amazing how the weeds have grown with the rain and now hot weather. It was 24 degrees today!
I planted leeks, squash and pumpkins. Ive still got to weed the fruit bed. There's always tomorrow for that. :-D Now It's going to need watering every day. )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You take a week off to relax and come back to twice as much work , great eh ? I get super Musselboro Leeks from a local garden centre they are due in last week of May - that pencilled in to my calender .
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

I went down every evening last week to keep everything watered. I needed to bank up the potatoes, but the soil was like rocks, (solid clay,) and I couldnt do anything with it.
Now weve had rain, and I went yesterday and banked up the spuds, and apart from the greenhouse I wont have to water this week. Ive got swedes and sweetcorn just showing through the soil in the greenhouse. In my big pond I found the first baby frog for this year, it still has its tail, but it was nice to see.
Image First strawberrys- yum!
ImageMy sister painted this Gnome for me, she's called Hildagard.
New frog
perchy

Post by perchy »

Looks lovely Sue and I love the gnome, you really have worked hard on the plot, and strawberries, yum, I have some in the greenhouse, and lots of flowers outdoors but no fruit yet.

)t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

We have had a bit of rain this evening as well Sue its great not having to get the hose out for a couple of days - apart from the pots of course they never seem to get enough to drink. Are you hoping for a strawberry tea at the weekend ?
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

I was back at the allotment today to plant a clematis, and water the greenhouse and I picked some lettuce, and had a salad with some of the strawberries. It was very tasty.
Ive also grown a herb called Parcel. Its parsley and something else together, and was nice. I did find when I picked some rocket to go with the mix I got some poppy leaves too. I didnt eat them, they were very hairy - yuk!
Ive got some flowers on my tomatoes, and a flower on one of the ornamental gourd plants I love it when the plants start producing food. :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

We have had some strawberries and they were delicious, very sweet and just the right temperature being in the greenhouse. I too love it when you know you are going to be able to eat something within weeks, very rewarding )t'
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Went this evening and came back with lettuce, onions, strawberries and peas.
My friend Joy, who's visiting this weekend, took this picture of me.