LBF's 2012 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

LBF's 2012 Diary

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Here's a few pictures of what my vegetable patch looks like after a year of not growing anything in it, and not really paying any attention to it }hairout{ Have started already, cutting some of the evil-grassy-weedy-stuff down to make it easier to dig out. The chooks like to help with the gardening, and they have very cleverly trained Rose to dig up worms for them ... much nicer than digging them up themselves, as Rose serves them on plates, with a leafy garnish )t'
IMAG0180 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
IMAG0181 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
IMAG0182 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
IMAG0183 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: LBF's 2012 Diary

Post by Lillia »

Very nice, LittleBrownFrog; it's exciting! I can't wait to get things started again :-D
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

A work in progress then )j; Looking forward to seeing your progress )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Brilliant, it will be so good to see how it all comes together )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Reasonably productive day - have cleared the worst of the weeds from just over half of the patch:
IMAG0195 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
There's a bit more cleared than is shown in this picture, but the other photos were all taken by small people, and feature my backside quite prominently, so I'm not sharing! The chickens are just enjoying their supper of mealworms, scattered over the veggie patch )t'
I might have managed to clear a bit more today, but had to spend some time retrieving Tabitha from the downstairs toilet ... we have new windows, and it hadn't even occurred to me that the chooks would be able to get in through the open window - must have taken some impressive manoeuvering, certainly made an impressive mess }hairout{
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

No pictures, just a quick update. I've been busy with other, indoor stuff lately, but getting a few things sorted outside as well.
Mostly I've been busy dividing and repotting my mint farm )j; - nearly at the point where I can keep myself constantly supplied with fresh mint for my mint tea.
I've also started putting up a little fence around the veggie patch - using the one material we have plenty of, bamboo. We tried this a few years ago, fencing off a corner for leaf mould, and it withstood a few seasons, so was well worth it. Short lengths of dried bamboo for the uprights, woven together with the bamboo I cut a couple of weeks ago. It's just high enough to deter the chickens (hopefully).
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Got a good project going there LBF, looking good!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Well ... looks like I might have solved my bamboo problem - I cut it all down to about a foot high yesterday (because the new chicken run is going in the area I posted pictures of ... the chickens and the veggies are swapping places) ... was just talking to the lollipop lady & she's going to send her hubby round to dig it out for me, because they want a big clump of thuggish bamboo for a corner of their land )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

So- all of the above photographs of the 'vegetable patch', actually show the area where the new chicken run will be. Hopefully the aviary panels will be here during the week, ready to be put up at the weekend (or Wednesday afternoon if they get here in time). For now, the chicken coop has been moved across to its new location & they are just free ranging all day. We have taken down the old run, because that is the area where the veggies are going.

Today I have demolished the little shed at the top of the garden (to the absolute horror of my 3 year old ... "Daddy is going to be cross with you!") & broken it all up for firewood. There's just the floor & the pallet it's sitting on to get rid of tomorrow, but that shouldn't take too long.

Tomatoes are coming on nicely. I've got one pepper plant & one chilli plant on the go as well - not had a huge amount of success with either in the past, so just sticking to one plant of each this year. Alpine strawberries are doing well, 'normal' strawberries need to go out this week really.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Excellent, LBF, it's looking really good )t' Cant wait to see the rest of the year as the project progresses )c(
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best