Bills 2012 garden diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Bills 2012 garden diary

Post by Annie »

Hope you got your pie for a teatime treat Bill , lovely lot of produce there )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Not yet Annie but think it might be today,i am being good )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Off to see some freinds near Cambridge tomorrow so had another hunt among the beans suprising how 48 hours later there is so many again.Found a cabbage to take as well .

Going to take a few tomatoes for them as well ,the yellow ones rarely make it to the table ,i eat as i pick :oops:

But lurking in the oven is something they wont be getting there hands on ,i kinew if i was a good boy i would get one )t'
Had to be quick before my wife saw me thats why its shakey )eat(

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You can come and be my friend as well if you like Bill {hug}
Hooray for a pie - did Mrs Bill catch you peeking ?
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:You can come and be my friend as well if you like Bill {hug}
Hooray for a pie - did Mrs Bill catch you peeking ?

Would love to be your freind Annie {hug} ,but Scotland wow its a long way to go ,my vegies would all be limp time i got there :-D .These are special people and we like to spoil them when we see them.
No she didnt catch me peeking only running my fingers under the cold tap as it was still very hot :oops:
But it tasted right nice. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Several empty spaces apearing around the garden now ,dont overwinter anything in the garden ,once a raised bed is empty will spread a layer of manure on top dependant on what its used for next year and cover with black plastic ,surpressing any weeds and warming the soil early next spring.
Have had me onions layed next to me leeks drying,but with rain forcast over next few days thought i best get them in the dry ,my little potting shed is turning out to be very usefull. )t'
Have trimmed some more leaves back on the tomatoes to let the sun in .
Cucumbers have never done well in my greenhouse so put one outside seems we have cucumbers )c(

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 14th August 2012

To hot to do much in the garden today ,saw we had loads Blackberries ready so went picking.

Bin told not to expect another pie untill apples ready }hairout{ just been outside to have a look ,got weeks to wait yet ,oh well never mind ,something to look forward to :-D

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wed 15th August 2012

Big change in the weather today ,dull with a few showers and a cool wind off the sea ,but not complaining will leave that to the hoiliday makers .
Decided would be a good day for sorting out the french beans in the polly tunnel ,this is how it looked before i went in ,both guns blazeing.
But the results were well worth the effort.
And this is how it looked after .
And again after a bit of a clean up ,also set 3 rows lettuce and 3 of cabbage ,what we dont eat the chooks will enjoy as the days get colder.
One of the tunnels residents ,see how dark that is after a summer on the compost.Should do a spot the frog competition

These are the red beet i planted a few weeks ago seem to be doing ok and should be ready before the colder weather arrives )t'

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Think you have the right idea , resting your raised beds Bill, my friend and I were discusssing what to do over the winter (I really hope teenage daughter doesn't dump all her horse muck on the garden for the 3rd year running) and I suggested covering with old carpet and cardboard as we pick the crops, fork over first , then cover up , the only trouble is its such a windy and exposed plot I have visions of flying carpets - just call me Aladdin
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Ok Aladdin :-D

The horse muck would be fine composted for a couple of years ,most of mine comes from a freind who has horses on Great Yarmouth sea front pulling landaus or carraiges.Usually a trailer load with my compost bins is enough ,it is a problem trying to keep beds covered when its windy ,i will have some spare slabs this year as going to put some more granit paths in this winter ,save some grass cutting next summer ,keep looking for ways to make it easyer.Old carpet would be a good option but may have to replace it every year >gl<

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Dont think my OH would wear me replacing the carpets in the house every year Bill, just to keep the weeds down on the veggie beds {rofwl}
I know horse muck needs a year to rot down and keep explaining this but it does not seem to sink in . Its ruddy infuriating as if she kept 2 horsemuck heaps going it would be ideal to dig in the former years but she dumps it in the garden because its nearer the stable block and not so muddy - so that means fresh muck on the patch all the time }hairout{ .
Your bean crop looks good - my french beans came to nothing but the runners are great so will have enough for the freezer and one or two of the broad beans are at last swelling - gosh its all very late even for up here.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

It would be sad if all that manure could not be put to a good cause ,some people would love a supply like that but becomes hard work if dumped where not wanted,maybe a sign out side ,free to good home ,thats the manure of course :-D
Runners have done well after a dodgy start and still plenty to come,alot of last years french beans in the garden rotted off at ground level last year ,reason i put them in tunnel this year great succes,may get another tunnel for next year as toying with idea of getting rid of our chickens before the winter will have alot more garden then.
Dont do broad beans as not a favourite of ours >gl<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wednesday 22nd August 2012

Picked today .but still awaiting sweetcorn :?

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I do love all your pictures Bill :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thank you )wav(

Hear is our favourite recipee for green tomatoe chutney ,ideal for the left over tomatoes.

Hear is one for anyone got a load of green tomatoes left.

Green Tom Chutney Apples at last
3lb green toms.
2 x green sweet peppers.
12oz onion.
1.5lbs apple.
8oz granulated suggar.
1 lemon, grated rind and juice.
1tbsp salt.
1tsp fresly ground black pepper.
1tsp ground mace.
1tsp ground ginger.
Toms in a pan of water, cover, gently bring to boil and simmer for 15 mins. Using a slotted spoon remove skin, one tom at a time, cut in half and remove seeds then rub seeds through a sieve and finely chop the halves.
Core,de-seed and finely chop peppers.
Finely chop onions.
Peel, core and finely chop apples.
Throw everything in a non reactive pan, gently bring to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours until quite thick and into the jars it goes, then seal.

Keeps for about a year.
It is yummy ,beats waiting for em to turn red >gl<