Scooby's 2012 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Scooby's 2012 Diary

Post by Scooby88 »

So I am a complete beginner but have decided (mainly for theraputic reasons) to take up gardening. So far I have sowed some seeds, which I have decided to keep in the house as I have no greenhouse. I did however purchase a small walk in green house for around £20 which I plan to put the plants in once the weather gets a bit better. I got some seeds for 29p from A.ldi.

This was the mess created during potting...

and the end result..

I have maris pipers in spud bags, they were planted on Paddy's day so are sprouting nicely. The strawbs I plan to grow in hanging baskets. I bought some clever hanging bags for my toms and I plan to grow the rest in some raised bedding areas which hopefully the OH will build over the next few weeks. If it isnt done in time I will put the rest in tubs, I hear carrots grow well in tubs.

So, fingers crossed my first attempt at growing veg & flowers turns out ok. :)
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Scooby's 2012 Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Well done scooby ,you will find it very theraputic,nothing better than home grown veg )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its a nightmare using your kitchen as a greenhouse isn't it but fab end results from you )t'
I started of with one of those mini greenhouses too and grew really smashing tomatoes in it!
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done and good luck, I love making a mess when sowing and planting, so nice when all tidied up and have a good show for your efforts )t'

Aldi has some right bargains too, I love it )t'

Keep us posted
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

My lettuce, marigolds and Strawbs are sprouting! Very exciting :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Scooby88 wrote:My lettuce, marigolds and Strawbs are sprouting! Very exciting :-D

)c( )c(
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Re: Scooby's 2012 Diary ([pics)

Post by Scooby88 »

So my veg is doing really quite well! I have re-potted my toms, runner beans, sunflowers and lettuce. I made my own window box for my lettuce out of some old wood I found in the garden,

My carrots are sprouting nicely, I have bought 2 giant tubs I plan to put the carrots in and out on the patio. Can I put them straight into the big tubs now??

Ive put the spuds out today to harden them off,

Strawberries are coming on nicely, I plan to put them in hanging baskts (2nd hand ones Ive had donated.)

My sunflowers have been moved to bigger pots, but some are floppy. When will I need to prop them up with a stake?

My Dahilias are looking ok, I have re-potted the strongest looking seedlings since the pic below.

All together I dont think im doing too bad. I got a packet of chilli and mixed peppers seeds for 89p yesterday so plan to grow some of those too. :)
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

I expect you know this already, but you mustn't disturb the roots of the carrots, and it you just carefully tear the bottom off the peat pots the carrots will carry on and grow in the ground. I had a lot of success with this last year. :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thanks LBH. I think I have put too many seeds in the post, will this matter? I have a huge container so I am going to put them out in that soon. When do you think it will be ok to put them in the big tub and outside?
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

most of my seeds have been transferred outside, I hope this is ok? I didnt know how long to wait before putting them in the greenhouse but I was running out of room in the house.

HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Its fine to put them outside in a green house Scooby, but just keep an eye on the night temperatures. You look as though you have everything under control. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow and well done Scoobs, brilliant photos and looks like you're doing fantastic :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thank you! :) I'm enjoying every minute
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Dont worry about having too many seeds in the pots Scooby, as they grow you can take out one or two while they are tiny and have them in a salad and leave one to grow to full size. )t'
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

I was wondering, how long til things start to actually look like plants and not seedling? My toms and lettuce each have only 2 tiny leaves, they were planted on the 30th April, as does my strawbs. The spuds which I planted on paddys day seem to be doing ok, I have them outside in the greenhouse.

Everything seems to have stopped growing, or maybe it is just me being impatient :-D