Ruth's better late than never diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Ruth's better late than never diary

Post by ChrisG »

Having tackled the weeds late last year, I had managed to clear about half the veg-plot-to-be. When I finally got out to it this year (what with all the wet and illness) most of it was still clear, with a few large (very large) thistle plants growing. I have dug those out on the half plot and between Hubby and me, we have managed to get two deep beds made and edged. The first one had two x 70litre bags of compost added. This is to be the roots bed.

The second bed, I removed all the top soil to the depth of one spit (this is going to be my square foot potato bed), then dug over the next spit (not as deep as the subsoil), raked it level, added one x 70 litre bag of compost, raked it again then planted the potatoes. The plan is that instead of earthing up, when they grow through, the top soil I removed will be mixed with more compost and replaced over the growing shoots.

Photos to follow - (not on the PC at the moment, so cant upload as the camera doesnt have a connection for the laptop).
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Ruth's better late than never diary

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

>fi< for a productive year for you.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

overall how big a vegetable garden do you have, Ruth? Sounds pretty big. And by the way, I love the picture of the kitten on the computer keyboard. Is that your cat?
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks LBF and AL.

AL, no, it isnt my cat; found it on the net with the caption: "I cant access my emails today because something has crashed on my computer and my mouse is missing"

The whole garden is between 1/2 and 3/4 acre, so we do have lots of space. The veg plot area is about 20' x 60'. There will be 10 beds eventually, two for each type of crop in the rotation a la John Seymour and two for permanent crops (like asparagus - yum )eat( - cant wait to grow my own asparagus!) and a space for a seed bed for the brassicas which will go into the space occupied by the peas and beans once they are cleared.

Next to the veg plot, there is going to be a mini orchard and maybe, depending on the neighbours, some chickens. That whole area is about 60' x 60', so plenty of space for both.

I would post some piccies, but my PC has decided to corrupt the file that opens windows, so until it's fixed, cant do much! But I did manage to plant my onion sets, carrots and beetroot yesterday and cut down the next nettle patch to extend the veg plot - before it started raining again!
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Big undertaking lady! Sounds like an enormous amount of work, but won't it be great when all is planted and growing. Good luck to you.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

It's all very overgrown at the moment with branbles and nettles (and raspberry canes :? ). It is hard work, but honestly, I find it relaxing. Just being out in the fresh air with nothing but the birds (and occasionally Hubby) for company can be very therapeutic. Heaps better than working in the world of family law!
Chris xx

Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Ruth, I didn't realize you are an attorney. Are you actively practicing these days?
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I dont work as such any more, no, but I am still a trustee of a charity that assists parents who have access denied them for no good reason (usually because the parent with care doesnt want the other parent to have access).
Chris xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Been out on the plot. Put in most of another deep bed (mostly Hubby, with me supervising!), then dug over about 20' of nettle patch. I know it is hard work getting nettle roots out and you have to be thorough, but I am fed up! After half an hour of digging, I was exhausted, so have had to come in for a rest. Before the Dr gave me those poison pills, I could have dug half the plot before having to rest! }hairout{ It is making progress extremely slow. Feel like I havent eaten for a month and so dizzy it's difficult to know if I'm still staning upright.
Chris xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

After recuperating for half an hour and eating, went back outside. Dug over the whole of bed 3, raked it level, added 140 ltr compost, forked it in, raked it level again.

Then, after dinner (tea) went out again and while Hubby created deep bed #4, I cut down the next nettle patch. Far too tired to dig over the bed, so that will be for tomorrow, along with planting peas and beans in bed 3 and then sowing lettuce, spinach and whatever in bed 4.

While I was preparing the space and edging the area for bed 4, there were some youths playing football on the bowling green }hairout{ (No respect for anyone or anything - the footie pitch is less than 100 yards away). Thought they had kicked the ball against the newly mended fence (council's fence - they mend it about once every 2 months }hairout{ ). The noise however continued - the lad was kicking the new boards in an attempt to break the fence! I shouted 'what do you think you are doing?' and he stopped and ran away. But it does take the fun out of gardening in that area. Left me worrying about whether they will be over the fence, destroy the deep beds, ruin the crops, steal the crops etc etc. It's not paranoia - it has been done before and we have been vandalised or burgled over 50 times in nearly 17 years. What they cant steal, they spoil }hairout{ But it is lovely during the day, when the sun is shining and all you can hear is the birds singing and a few pleasant neighbours chatting over the fence. Must try to concentrate on that and not on the negative.
Chris xx

Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

What in the name of heaven is WRONG with people!! Sad that you've had to put up with such vandalism, Ruth. Did you call the police on the brats?
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I used to but dont bother now. That was a decision we made when our windows were shot full of holes and we caught a lad in the garden discharging a firearm and the police took 28 hours to turn up! Round here, they blame it on the government for closing the mines = no employment. [They shut the mines in the 1970s!]
Chris xx

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

RuthG wrote: Round here, they blame it on the government for closing the mines = no employment. [They shut the mines in the 1970s!]

Seems to be the default answer to all of the worlds ills in some areas.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Planting just about up to date at last. Peas, Fr beans, carrots, lattuce, radish, spring onions, red and white onions, pickling onions, cabbage, cauli, calabrese, courgette, leeks, swede, beetroot. I think that's about all. Forgot to get any celery seed, so havent planted any of that. Potatoes are all showing through (except about 4, which isnt bad out of 44 put in), will need earthing up, just as soon as the slower ones do a bit of a catch up - wouldnt want to suffocate them after all the trouble the garden has been this year.

Have been back on the PC for about a week, so it's time I got my pics sorted. Will upload shortly )t'
Chris xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Aargh, just when I thought I knew what I was doing on photobucket, they've gone and changed everything. Hope this pic is the right size - it was so easy before with the preset sizes, but I couldnt find them this time }hairout{

Anyway, this is the veg garden with two of the deep beds done. The furthest one has carrots, onions and beetroot in it, the nearer one has the potatoes.

There are now two more beds, with peas, beans and bassicas in one and lettuce, leeks, courgettes etc in the other. Will get pics of the growing potatoes and onions and the four beds.
Chris xx