boodles garden diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: boodles garden diary 2013

Post by jemberelli »

Glad you've managed to get out into the garden Mrs Boodles. You're right about the bit at a time thing - seeing a bit of progress really does spur you on, I'm exactly the same! Fingers crossed for continuing sun & nice days x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Ba ck from pulmonary rehab and moved rest of lavetaria ready for going up the tip. Have also sown some Thessoloniki tomatoes (memories of Greece), chillies and sweet peppers. Have`nt got a greenhouse so they will be adorning the windowsills. Hope it is fine tomorrow as want to get rid of some more ivy and brambles.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Well, the weather does`nt give you much chance or incentive to do much re:sowing stuff or getting outside BUT, I am well pleased as my thessaloniki tomatoes have come through, will have to nurture them along, no chillies or peppers yet.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I agree about the weather - it wasn't that long ago when planting my potatoes mid-March was deemed to be the norm for my area but of late this has been shifting later and later to about mid-end April.

Re: chillies and peppers - a windowsill might simply not be warm enough for germination as ideally they need a temperature of around 24oC. Have you got an airing cupboard or some other warm spot where you could put the pots? It does make a difference )t'
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks for the tip LL, i think I will try that and put some in airing cupboard.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Just potted on the tomato plants, they look pretty healthy but going to do what I normally do other years and that is get a plastic greenhouse thing for indoors and then next week can get cracking on sowing some more seeds. Think I might have to admit defeat with chillies and peppers, although have germinated they are just getting taller and no sign of first proper leaves. Could well buy some plants.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

mrs boodles wrote:although have germinated they are just getting taller and no sign of first proper leaves.

they just need more light and less heat round the roots but do keep the room warm. Over the past month I've had mine in a "grow box" which is just a cardboard box lined with foil and a grow light mounted on the top. However, space was getting tight so I moved some of the less delicate ones into the back bedroom with a south facing window and had a radiator in the room to stop it getting too cold in there (to about 15oC), and surprisingly despite lack of sunlight, they are doing better than the ones in the grow box >coc<

It might also be the variety - I noticed the ones called Nepalese Bell have grown incredibly leggy yet they have been getting just as much light as some of the others, so I'm convinced it must be the variety.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Even though the sun has been shining today and the sky blue, the wind has been bitter so can`t do much outside still.
Have sown some seeds though,
Tomatoes - more thessaloniki, garden perle and some tigarella.
Cucumber - crystal apple
Leeks - musselborough/

Have some cucamelon seeds which when I saw advertised in seed catalogue fascinated me so bought some and will try and get them sown this week.

Going to a bq shop tomorrow as over 60`s club and hoping they might have some bits for the garden.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I dont know what your ground is like Mrs Boodles but my back garden needs a pick axe to break the soil, no rain for some time now and really drying winds, chuck in a couple of frosts an you get the idea.
April is bringing itchy fingers isn't it?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

We have been having frosts too Annie but hoping that it will change soon (that is probably wishful thinking) Seeds are on windowsills and going to get a plastic green house thing for them hopefully tomorrow so they can have a bit more warmth.
It is so frustrating not being able to get out in garden and do stuff, I have got all these plans going round in my head and can`t get them started cos of the rotten weather.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Started day before yesterday to move gravel off an area I want to make into a bed for courgettes, can only do a little at time so disappointed to have bad weather yesterday. It is a bit better so hopefully can get out and do a bit more.

Cuca melon seeds not through yet nor leeks, but some more tomatoes through also crystal apple cucumber.
Its all very stop start at moment, think weathermean said would be nicer weekend so will be booting hubby out of bed to help me have a sort out in garden.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Have managed to get the area I want for courgettes dug, hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the timber round the edges and then get it raked and tidied.

Leeks are through in tray and also the cucumbers, lets hope the weather stays reasonable, got so much to do. Hope to post some photos of garden etc in a few weeks when further on in jobs, wish I could do more instead of just little bit at a time.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs Boodles, thats the best way to garden , a bit at a time . Its what I do and then I don't spend the next week bent double with back ache. Its lovely to do a bit and stand back and admire, doesn't matter if its digging or weeding or dead heading or picking the first strawberries. Its a hobby that is best done at a leisurely pace )t'

)ot: Have you seen HOLBY this week ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Yes Annie, watched, you have it later don`t you.
Hubby has got home from work early and is hopefully going to cut the grass.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Had a great day, sun shining and warm so repotted a load of peppers (they actually got going in the end) and my thessaloniki tomatoes. Have sown patty pan squash, spaghetti squash, more tomatoes ( last lot I did are so leggy I am just going to leave and see what happens) crystal apple cucumbers and cucamelon. AGAIN.

the cucamelons are meant to be dead easy to germinate and grow but the first lot I did were rubbish so will see how these get on.

Edging round courgette bed so hopefully will be able to completely finish tomorrow, does`nt look wonderfully elegant as have used wood from somewhere else but its being frugal.

Now relaxing with a hot drink and piece of fruit cake. happy days :-D