Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Jannie's 2013 Diary.

Post by jannie »

Thanks LL .. the planters have really done what I wanted as in surrounding the courtyard with food. The mini fruit trees are interplanted with salad crops creating a lovely secluded area to sit and eat. :-D

We had the first feed of new potatoes today .. there really is nothing better than eating baby new potatoes straight out of the ground is there?

also had the first radish .. a quick wash under the tap and eaten whilst still warm from the sun.

I have a baby spaghetti squash )c( .. it must like growing on the log store.. >veg4<

The broad beans have an amazing crop of flowers looks like a bumper year.

and finally ..I love watching the runner beans grow and they are growing like magic beans with all the warm sunshine so thought I'd share another photo of them 2 days after the last photo.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww Jannie, why don't you open your garden to the public, one of those garden schemes, I am sure they would be able to give you some tips etc )t'

{rofwl} {rofwl} {hug&kiss}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Ha ha Perchy. {rofwl}

Funny you should say that though because I was having a conversation with some friends on Saturday evening who always grow the 'best runner beans' they were saying what a terrible year it is for runner beans, so I emailed them the picture I posted here ..I can't print the reply I had. >dowhat< {rofwl} I'm just lucky I guess. :?
perchy

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:Ha ha Perchy. {rofwl}

Funny you should say that though because I was having a conversation with some friends on Saturday evening who always grow the 'best runner beans' they were saying what a terrible year it is for runner beans, so I emailed them the picture I posted here ..I can't print the reply I had. >dowhat< {rofwl} I'm just lucky I guess. :?

yike* was it in Welsh?

I think it was rude!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Let's just say there were a few choice words. {rofwl}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just tell them to bog off Jannie :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I've emailed them the message Richard ...'Lord Lane of Down says bog off' {rofwl}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I don't care !!

xx :-D :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Richard wrote:I don't care !!

xx :-D :-D

I'm so glad Richard .. I've sent them a link here so they can see this pic... )grin2(

The weather turned really nasty here last night but no damage done..though I did move my basket tomatoes under the veranda as I would hate to lose them now.

The peas are doing well and stood up to the gales.

The first cucumber plant is really growing fast.. though the second sowings are catching up

.. there are already half a dozen little cucumbers on it. )t'

I'm sure the rain is going to do the garden the world of good but it is really miserable after the prolonged dry spell we've had .. really hope we haven't seen the last of the sun this summer. >fi<
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I have a bit of catching up to do in my diary as I've been away in the caravan. :-D As usual my son took good care of the garden and ate well as a reward. )t' He had 2 eggs a day from the new chooks as well as plenty of new potatoes, lettuce, radish, cucumbers, strawberries and raspberries so he was well pleased.
I've only been back for a few days but the produce keeps coming despite the best efforts of Mr Blackbird to beat me to the soft fruit.
This is today's pickings .. a few cherries, peas, blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries

There are plenty of peas nearly ready

Broad beans

Courgettes

Cucumbers

Runner beans

The outdoor tomatoes and salad crops are really enjoying the lovely weather.

and finally .. the sweet peas are glorious this year. As I'm typing this their beautiful scent is wafting in through the back door. :-D

It's a lot of work keeping the garden watered in this hot weather but it is so worth it not to have to keep inspecting plants for blight and rot. Everything looks so healthy in the sunshine. )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' I'd agree that watering is becoming a long chore but it's nice to see things coming along in leaps and bounds now.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Watering is still the biggest chore in the garden this week but with so much produce to pick it is paying back ..we haven't eaten any shop bought fruit and veg in nearly 2 weeks. Courgettes, peas, spring onions, chives, cress, cucumbers, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, white and red currants, lettuce, baby beetroot, broad beans, a couple of cherry tomatoes and potatoes all keeping us well fed ...along with the first few blueberries which didn't make the trug. :-D

The runner beans should be ready to pick the first feed within the next few days..

The cucumbers are providing a bumper crop again .. we have picked 5 already and there are plenty more on the way..

the mini cucumbers that I grow for the grandchildren, as at about 4 inches they make an ideal snack, are nearly ready .. a good crop again this year.

I have picked 2 cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse so far, but if this weather holds there is going to be a huge crop as all the outdoor plants are really healthy as well this year .. just as well I didn't give up on them as planned. :-D

I'm experimenting growing spaghetti squash in a pot and letting it grow along the wood store roof .. I think it like it there..

Image. )t' )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Bit late in posting this but had the first runner beans on Sunday. )c( We had family over so as there wasn't enough to go around .. I sliced them up and put them in parcels of veg and herbs from the garden and cooked them on the BBQ whilst I spit roast a couple of chickens which my neighbour raised on his farm. I think everyone was impressed to have a meal without air miles. )t'

I forgot to take a photo before I sliced them :oops: ..this is one of the parcels just before adding the herbs ...

There are a couple of pounds ready to pick once the grandkids go home later, can't pick them whilst they are here or they'll go the same way as the soft fruit. )eat( .. My youngest granddaughter ( two and a half) picked all the ripe tomatoes from the outdoor plants yesterday whilst her Bamps was supposed to be keeping an eye on the children while I made their lunch }hairout{ .. I searched everywhere when I spotted them gone .... found them in the recycling bin!!!!!!!!!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

It was a beautiful day to enjoy the garden yesterday. First job was to wander around with the trug and see what was ready to harvest for dinner.

I'm having to give a lot of salad leaves away as they are growing wild ...

and the cress is seriously overgrown.

Peppers and chillies are nearly ready

Plums starting to ripen too

I might be lucky and have a few grapes. >fi<

A few more photos I took on my wander around. )t'

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

It's been a while since I updated on here .. laptop problems, holidays and grandchildren have all kept me away from DTL but not the garden. It's been an amazing year for produce and my freezers are proof that you don't need a very big garden to produce enough fruit and veg to get through the best part of the year.
These pictures show just some of the produce ...

These are from my little cox's orange pippin tree

My little plum tree after I'd picked a bowlful

Bramblys

Don't know the variety of this apple as the tree was a seedling I found in the garden when we moved here. They are good desert apples.Image

Tomatoes are still going strong.

The last of the runner beans

Chillies and peppers are ripening at last

and for the first year ever in my garden .... I have grapes. :-D :-D

)t'