LBF's 2013 Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

LBF's 2013 Diary

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Well - I started a diary last year, and it all fell by the wayside as I decided instead to move the chickens, sort out other bits of the garden & eventually move house.
New house now, new garden & new challenges.
I've been reading a bit about forest gardening recently, and I'm keen to try out this style of growing for myself.
The area towards the back of our garden is earmarked for this experiment - the chicken run & compost bins take up part of the space, and then there are two triangles of ground separated by a gravel path.

The first area has a blackcurrant bush and a couple of gooseberry bushes. There are also some roses and a bay tree. The chicken run (you can just see the corner of it on the right hand side of the photo) is home to a pear tree.
IMAG0704 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr (apologies for picture quality, taken on my 'phone, just as it was getting dark this evening)

The second area has some strawberries (inside the stacked tyres), a little bit of spinach, a tree that might be a hazel, several old rhubarb crowns (which were moved last autumn, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they survive) & not a lot else. Image
IMAG0705 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr

I'm still plotting and planning - there's nothing better than making a nice, long, expensive list, and then editing it down to something more reasonable and affordable.

I fancy a cob nut tree (or maybe two - not sure how much room they need), some nasturtiums. I'm going to try growing beans on strings attached to the top of the chicken run. Lots of mint, because I can never have too much. Raspberries.

We also have a small square-ish plot at the front of the house, which I'm hoping will become a more traditional vegetable patch.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experimented with forest gardening?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: LBF's 2013 Diary

Post by MissEllie »

I've no advice LBF as I'm the worlds worst gardener, just wanted to say good luck with your plans, it looks like there's a lot of great plants in there )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

We have garlic peeping above ground now )c( - the greenhouse garlic is about 2" high, and the outdoor garlic started to show just this morning.

The rhubarb I moved in the autumn is growing away nicely, and I have about 6" of growth from a piece of root that I must have missed when I moved it - not sure if that will do anything or not.

I also moved a gooseberry bush, and I'm very pleased to see that it's starting to green up nicely now & looking generally very healthy. (I injured my eye in the process of digging it out, so it was half-in half-out for a couple of weeks before I could see well enough to move it safely - I was worried that I'd killed it off.

About half the raspberry canes and strawberries have gone in this afternoon, the rest tomorrow all being well.

I brought alpine strawberries over from the old house in a pot, and they've started sending out runners left right & centre, so I've put the pot in the corner bed by the lawn, in the hope that they will rampage there as well as they used to at the old house.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Doesn't Alys wotserface do forest gardening - her with the little garden in Birmingham.

Fowler, Alys Fowler! I would imagine she has a blog/book to go with her telly programme!

I was intrigued, but have a big open garden so I couldn't follow suit. I'll keep reading your diary to see how it goes.... I need to know how it works :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I think the forest gardening thing will be a long-term project, bits and pieces changing over time rather than a clean sweep and starting afresh. I'm still reading through the books I've acquired on the subject.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Please can I ask where abouts in the country you are?
I would like to get on with gardening, maybe get some strawberry plants, but I am up North and not sure its time yet. My Raspberry canes arn't doing much and no sign of the Garlic I planted at New Year.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

We are wayyyyyyyyyy down in Cornwall - we've had a grand total of 1/2 an inch of snow this winter, and about three frosts - I'd rather have had more snow, but it's quite nice to see things growing. I would imagine you would need to wait a bit though
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Saz, I am in Yorkshire and my raspberries and strawberries were fab last year )t'
[center][/center]Davina
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Yeah think I will wait before I rush out to buy strawberry plants. We haven't had much snow but lots of frost.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Interesting link LBF.
I have tried various ways of multi layer growing over the years and it is not often that the yield is worth it. If you are just looking for an attractive "woodland" garden that gives some returns in edible plants then definitely go for it. But everything will suffer a bit from the competition for light so don't rely on it for your main crop.
I have soft fruit under my apple trees and they look nice but give a lower yield the deeper under the shade.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Greenhouse mostly cleared out now, and a very temporary piece of cardboard put in across the missing glass at the back. I've put some seeds in today - lots of tomatoes of various kinds and sweet peas. The old wheelbarrow I discovered hiding in the brambles when we moved in has now been sown with nasturtiums, so hopefully that will be a nice show - if I can keep the chickens away from it.

Strawberry plants are doing nicely, as is the rhubarb (I ought to be able to cut enough for a pie next week I think). Gooseberry bushes and apple tree are leafing up nicely, blackcurrants are shooting out madly. It's definitely feeling like spring here :-D
(not really what all you snowed-in-people are wanting to hear, I'm sure!)

Raspberry canes aren't doing anything at the moment - they went in about six weeks ago, should I be able to see some signs of life by now?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:(not really what all you snowed-in-people are wanting to hear, I'm sure!)

)gr: no, LOL but glad you are able to get things going

LittleBrownFrog wrote: The old wheelbarrow I discovered hiding in the brambles when we moved in has now been sown with nasturtiums

ohhh, a few years back I rescued a builders wheelbarrow out of a skip hoping I could use it as a planter but it's just sat on my plot looking rather useless. I like the idea of nasturtiums in it so I might just do the same )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I was planning on painting the wheelbarrow & making it look pretty, but didn't get round to it, so have settled for just bashing some drainage holes in the bottom & planting it up - once the nasturtiums get going, you won't be able to see the wheelbarrow anyway.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

We'll be having rhubarb crumble for pudding tonight - the first rhubarb of the year for us. Raspberry canes are starting to shoot as well, garlic is coming along nicely, blackcurrants and gooseberries are leafing up really well.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

My watercress showed its face today :-D Tomatoes are coming on nicely, thyme seedlings looking healthy (I bought a thyme plant yesterday, because I thought the seeds weren't going to come up!).
Beautiful sunshine today, so warm and lovely - really spring-like. I caught the sun slightly while out walking the dog.
I need to get some salad leaves in now.
Have been looking at the area outside the kitchen, trying to work out what has been planted there by the previous owners - I have it earmarked as a little herb garden, but don't want to rip out too many plants without knowing what they are.