HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Post by HappyBob »

Just a few more picture updates on the dairy..not done agreat deal this week as being busy with other work.

Calabese planted out, also managed to get some cabbage, kale and winter cabbage planted out (not in photo)

Couple of the chickenshed build..

Potato,s through and on their way..

General veiw of the Garden from one of my greenhouses..

Dont ever grow up, its a trap
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Wow, that is a fantastic plot you have there )t'
[center][/center]Davina
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

davina112 wrote:Wow, that is a fantastic plot you have there )t'

Thanks davina, I took on another half a plot this year in Feb making two full plots so have been doing abit of jigging about. Its not as I,d like it yet but I think i,m getting closer.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Very nice Bob, what type of poultry people are you going to install ?
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:Very nice Bob, what type of poultry people are you going to install ?

Hi Angela, I think i,m going to move half a dozen light Sussex in to start with. I havent kept hens before so dont want too many just incase its not for me. If I do take to keeping them then I have always fancied rearing the odd table bird so that maybe happen at a later date. Or if i hatch my own eggs then the roos could be used for the table.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:
HensAloud wrote:Very nice Bob, what type of poultry people are you going to install ?

Hi Angela, I think i,m going to move half a dozen light Sussex in to start with. I havent kept hens before so dont want too many just incase its not for me. If I do take to keeping them then I have always fancied rearing the odd table bird so that maybe happen at a later date. Or if i hatch my own eggs then the roos could be used for the table.

I like light Sussex, I have 2 and one bantam one Marg, who appears on my garden tour. You'll have to harden your heart to eat one, I won't buy a whole chicken to cook these days as it looks like a......... Dead chicken ! {rofwl}
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:
HappyBob wrote:

I have always fancied rearing the odd table bird so that maybe happen at a later date. Or if i hatch my own eggs then the roos could be used for the table.

You'll have to harden your heart to eat one, I won't buy a whole chicken to cook these days as it looks like a......... Dead chicken ! {rofwl}

Haha Angela you sound like my Mrs, she says when the time comes to do the deed that it will be like one of the episodes of the "Good life" when Tom was all gun ho about providing his own chicken meat but didnt have the heart to go through with it..... {rofwl} {rofwl}
Maybe I will just buy the first couple of fresh chickens and tell little fibs till my heart hardens.... :-D ' Or to save face declare that we are now Vegitarians ....... :oops:
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Once soft hearted ........ Always soft hearted, good luck being a veggie ! {rofwl}
Angela
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Bob the chicken shed has come on great since i last looked in and your plot is fab.
Ive just one question how on earth do you manage to fit everything in and keep your lotti in that condition i am in awe )b(

I can remember when i was a kid and my Dad had the plot and hens and we once had home bred cockeral for christmas dinner, i think we probably ate more home raised chicken than Mum and Dad let on to us :-D

Good luck with your girls soon you will wonder how you have lived without them, have you got an area for them to free range when you're there.
Oh and long legs to run and catch them when they spot you're produce with thier beady eyes {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:Once soft hearted ........ Always soft hearted, good luck being a veggie ! {rofwl}

Ha, I,ve got a feeling I,m gonna have to get use to the taste of Quorn burgers real quick.. :-D
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:
HensAloud wrote:Once soft hearted ........ Always soft hearted, good luck being a veggie ! {rofwl}

Ha, I,ve got a feeling I,m gonna have to get use to the taste of Quorn burgers real quick.. :-D

{rofwl}
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Linda S wrote:Hi Bob the chicken shed has come on great since i last looked in and your plot is fab.
Ive just one question how on earth do you manage to fit everything in and keep your lotti in that condition i am in awe )b(

I can remember when i was a kid and my Dad had the plot and hens and we once had home bred cockeral for christmas dinner, i think we probably ate more home raised chicken than Mum and Dad let on to us :-D

Good luck with your girls soon you will wonder how you have lived without them, have you got an area for them to free range when you're there.
Oh and long legs to run and catch them when they spot you're produce with thier beady eyes {rofwl} Lindaxx

Thanks for your kind comments Linda, but I think the photo,s make it look tidier then it actually is :-D . I have now nearly finished the coop that will sit inside of the chicken shed, so am not far off getting some girls to fill it. I do intend to put up an outside run eventually, probably after I rebuild the fence that I took down that will be moved to the new garden boundary. Nice story of your dads endevours to feed the family )t' .
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Jobs done this week, planted out 24 parsnips sown in tubes after first sowing failed dramatically due to old seed, also planted 10 runner beans, 10 waxbeans, and 10 summer cabbage and some more lettuce. Moved leaks, celery, and sweetcorn into the cold frame to be planted out sometime next week. Sown some more raddish and spring onions for continuity.

Prepared carrot bed for seed sowing, also leek and sweetcorn beds.

Took a small cut of comfrey to fill comfrey barrel, to make comfrey extract, this will be ready in around two or three weeks time.

Glysophated all the paths as the weeds have kicked on due to all the rain and a short spell of warm weather, this gets done around once a month (the weedkilling, not the sun coming out :-D although it has sometimes felt that way this year).

Started work on the chicken coop that will stay inside the chicken shed, didnt have a plan, just made it up as I went along using what materials I had to hand, hope the chickens like it when I get them.. )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HappyBob wrote:Jobs done this week, planted out 24 parsnips sown in tubes after first sowing failed dramatically due to old seed, also planted 10 runner beans, 10 waxbeans, and 10 summer cabbage and some more lettuce. Moved leaks, celery, and sweetcorn into the cold frame to be planted out sometime next week. Sown some more raddish and spring onions for continuity.

Prepared carrot bed for seed sowing, also leek and sweetcorn beds.

Took a small cut of comfrey to fill comfrey barrel, to make comfrey extract, this will be ready in around two or three weeks time.

Glysophated all the paths as the weeds have kicked on due to all the rain and a short spell of warm weather, this gets done around once a month (the weedkilling, not the sun coming out :-D although it has sometimes felt that way this year).

Started work on the chicken coop that will stay inside the chicken shed, didnt have a plan, just made it up as I went along using what materials I had to hand, hope the chickens like it when I get them.. )t'

Your parrsnips in tubes germinated ok then Bob,cant wait to see how mine turn out,only did 10 but should be ok without any disturbance ,saving tubes for next year now if they are ok will try carrot and redbeet as well ,i have done me runners in them for a while now allways turn out ok.
Bet you are looking forward to getting your girls now realy enjoyed mine when i had them and do still miss them but got to much for me in the end but at least i tried.
Allotement looking good ,wish the weather was . }hairout{ )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

The parsnips in the tubes were up after ten days Bill, the trick if growing in toilet tubes is as soon as you see the seedling appear is to get them in the ground, I use a bulb planter to make a nice hole to pop them in around a foot apart. Bill I dont know what tubes you are growing your snips in but if toilet tubes they wont be saveable as the tube eventually rots away. The damn weather has turned a bit today, it raining now as I look out of the window. Still it gives me an excuse to spend a nice day in my music/studio room after a few chores )t' )t' .