HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Post by HappyBob »

Well its being lovely to get back on the allottment after a very cold start to the year, and have had a very good 4 days. Got all my double digging done, made a start moving my comfrey patches onto the new half allotment I have taken over this year as I think i may get a few chickens on the allotment in the future and where I intend to put the coop and run is the reason for moving the comfrey (very hard work though). Sown my onions, leeks, broad beans,lettuce plus radish and spring onion in 8" pots in the greenhouse. All the other beds dug over before winter, have been knocked down and raked level. Its starting to feel as spring is making an appearance now. Happy days.. :-D :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Well over the last few days I managed to get the four comfrey patches moved over to the new allotment. Planted out the two apple tree,s I bought earlier in the year. Took 40 chrysanth cuttings. Gave the spring cauli,s and cabbage a good liquid feed of comfrey extract made from last year diluted to 10:1. Starting clearing the very back of the new allotment, where the previous tennant had let it grow out of control, although i did find a lovely heap of well rotted leafmould so this got barrowed away to one of my compost bins. Dressed veg beds with growmore around 4oz per sqare yard. The real spring seems a lot closer now so will get my spuds and onion sets in over the next few days, as well as a lot of seed sowing under glass.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I've had comfrey for years and I can't get rid of it, even the tiniest bit of Barky root grows. Well done Bob for shifting it. )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

No doubts bits will have been left behind and these will be dealt with by painting glysophate over the leaves when they start regrowing, may take two or three applications but they will eventually disapear (he says confidentley, but not too sure) :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

HappyBob wrote:No doubts bits will have been left behind and these will be dealt with by painting glysophate over the leaves when they start regrowing, may take two or three applications but they will eventually disapear (he says confidentley, but not too sure) :-D

ha ... I had 2 rogue comfrey plants on my other plot that defied all herbicides }hairout{ I never did succeed in getting rid of them.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

lancashire lass wrote:
HappyBob wrote:No doubts bits will have been left behind and these will be dealt with by painting glysophate over the leaves when they start regrowing, may take two or three applications but they will eventually disapear (he says confidentley, but not too sure) :-D

ha ... I had 2 rogue comfrey plants on my other plot that defied all herbicides }hairout{ I never did succeed in getting rid of them.

Hmmmm....I only put them in two year ago so they were not that established but I do understand where your coming from LL. Another possibility is that I,m serious considering putting some chickens on the allotment and the ex comfrey bed is where the new proposed run would be sited, so maybe the chickens could help see off any attempt of regrowth ?
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hello there Bob

Got some better weather arriving at the weekend ,listening to the forcast. )t'

How you getting on with the camera you bought ?keep lookig for a walkabout on your plot )w(

Managed to get me spuds and Onions done through the week,slowly getting there blooming artheritus my bigest problem ,everything you do is hard work,usually little easier once warmer weather gets hear ,just ordered some more veggie mesh going to cover another bed this year ,trying blue water pipe seems to be working ok on smaller beds ,hopefully will be ok on the bigger ones .
Cup of tea just arrived catch you later )wav(
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

A few pic updates since the last time I uploaded pics..

New greenhouse sited a month or so ago

New half allotment showing transplanted comfrey beds..

Nice to see seed sowing finally happening..

A few beds prepared and waiting for planting/sowing..

Old tayberry canes cut out and last years growth tied in..

Garlic doing ok..

General veiw showing my three greenhouses..

Start of the back clean up of new allotment..

A few hours later but still a bit of work left to do to complete it..

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Great photos Bob, good luck with the old comfrey }hairout{
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

HensAloud wrote:Great photos Bob, good luck with the old comfrey }hairout{

Judging on other peoples efforts and experience to eradicate it, I may have to just learn to embrace it, a little bit like having to work with some one you really dislike ..... {rofwl}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Bob, I love reading your gardening diary, and your allotment looks brilliant. Did you ever read Mavis Appleby's column in the Garden Newspaper? She stopped writing some time since, but I always enjoyed it. Yesterday OH put up his mini greenhouse, which takes the seedlings and smaller stuff out of the greenhouse, it is a sign of spring (?!), when it goes up.

Best of luck with your gardening, and if you get hens.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

You certainly have a size to look after Bob and it looks realy tidy for such a large plot,well done.
5 degrees warmer today and finally a change of wind direction,lost the E by N now got some South at long last ,should be much warmer now. )t'

Comeing from Yorkshire myself allways remember my dad growing Comfry to dry and use as an infusion like a tea for stomach upsets,and soaked and used as a poltice on strains and sprains )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh Bob that looks a fantastic allotment, it must take a lot of work, its all so neat. you are very lucky being able to have greenhouses etc. When I had allotments we were not allowed anything like that, no sheds nothing, which was pretty disappointing.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its a big space that Bob but its looking great , im another one who enjoys reading your diary and gleaning bits of knowlege. You are all great on here with sharehing hints and tips )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Thankyou everyone for your words of encouragement. Today planted out 80 red onion (red baron)+ 150 onion (turbo) sets. Managed to get 1st earlies planted out as well. I think I mentioned in last years dairy that I plant my potato,s out using a bulb planter this makes the job a lot easier, although the potato beds had been double dug and a large amount of well rotted manure incorporated, I still threw a trowel full of last years garden compost under the tuber and another trowel full on top of the tuber for good measure. Also scored for a load of horse manure that one of the horse lads wanted rid of.