Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' I enjoyed the "last" walkabout ... gosh, your garden and set up is so neat and tidy (my garden and allotment look very messy, I'd be too embarrassed to video it hence carefully cropped piccies LOL)
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

G'Morning Bill. I think a book would be a good idea for future generations, when you watch " who do you think you are " they crave information from their ancestors.
Your boat was lovely, it would be nice to have another one, have you got a date yet ?
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:)t' I enjoyed the "last" walkabout ... gosh, your garden and set up is so neat and tidy (my garden and allotment look very messy, I'd be too embarrassed to video it hence carefully cropped piccies LOL)

Thanks LL,The difference between us is that i dont do a full time job,and its my garden,just out my back gate,believe me before i retired it didnt look like it does now :oops: but i am sure once you have the spare time you then do the little jobs you can never find time for )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:G'Morning Bill. I think a book would be a good idea for future generations, when you watch " who do you think you are " they crave information from their ancestors.
Your boat was lovely, it would be nice to have another one, have you got a date yet ?

Afternoon Angela

Writing books was never my fore,now reading them is a different matter ,i do love a good read. )t'
Yep i keep peruseing ebay looking at boats but until i know i can realy use one again wont be tempted.
Still no date as yet :-D

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Friday 20th September 2013

Have been manureing and covering some of my finished beds today ,my smallest bed which is made up of bagged compost was first ,a thin lair of well rotted manure toped off with 2 bags of cheap compost covered and will be ready for next spring.
Where the runner beans were is next ,first i dig a trench and fill with well rotted compost

Once its covered do the same the other side ,both sides done and ready fo covering.
Covers on and gone nigh nights for the winter )t'

The reason i do them this way is 2 fold ,it stops the cats fromnext door useing it for a toilet,also stops any heavy rain leaching goodness out of the soil .Over the winter the worms will do a sterling job of breaking it up and aireateing the soil ready for the spring.
I will get them all done as they become empty )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday 22nd September 2013

Some of you may like to try this as a way of getting rid of hard to compost plants ,this morning i have mulched up 5 sprout plants that had gone to seed and blown ,all but the last foot near the root was chopped up ready for the compost bin ,sweetcorn all of the plants will mulch up makeing them much easier and faster to compost. )t'
BEFORE
AFTER
Wouldnt recomend you use a grasscutter with the plastic blades ,but a petrol rotary mower with a steel blade soon makes short work of them.For safety sake wear a pair of safety glasses although nothing shot out .

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

G'Mornin Bill, I use our mower as a Hoover to get all the leaves off the lawn )t' Other stuff I send off in the green recycle bin, let the council earn some of the extortionate rates it charges us. sile}
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:G'Mornin Bill, I use our mower as a Hoover to get all the leaves off the lawn )t' Other stuff I send off in the green recycle bin, let the council earn some of the extortionate rates it charges us. sile}

Ilike to compost as much as i can Angela to go back into the soil for next years crop,some things take years to rot but this way compost in a few months.Yes they make a good vacume for the garden and leaves make a good compost )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 24th September 2013

Pulled all the sweetcorn up today as not going to get anymore,had a nice few off them but with change in weather and colder nights think i can call it a day for this years sweetcorn.
Problem is now ,job for lawnmower man me thinks .
Probably to much there for even that >coc<
Did manage to rescue a few more small ripe cobs.
Have covered the bed to keep cats off ,tomorrow will spread some compost on and cover properly,that will be another one gone nigh nights for the winter. )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

G'Evenin Bill, nice neat and tidy you got that bed whipped into shape. I've sorted the polytunnel out it was a right old job got about 10 kilos of green toms for chutney. )t'
Angela
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Coooeeeeee Bill, whachyer doin ?
Angela
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Hi Bill I want to cover my veg beds this year and was wondering what you use to cover yours. If it was plastic sheet would it go mouldy underneath or would it be best to use that tarpaulin material (woven type material)?
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Coooeeeeee Bill, whachyer doin ?

Hiya Angela

Not alot ,bit of garden maintainence trimming hedges ,covering the beds that are done,very quiet on the garden at the moment .How did your green tomatoe chutney turn out ? )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Funky chicken wrote:Hi Bill I want to cover my veg beds this year and was wondering what you use to cover yours. If it was plastic sheet would it go mouldy underneath or would it be best to use that tarpaulin material (woven type material)?

Hello Funky chicken

I use black plastic,its cheap,easy to cut ,supresses the weeds and keeps the soil warm.If you allready have the other stuff shouldnt be a problem with useing it ,i have a small sheet on my bean bed.Never found any evidence of mould under them when lifted,plenty of worm activity but thats what you want )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 1st October 2013

Allways think autum is a sad time of the year,it is nice to reap the fruits of your labours but garden starting to look bare ,eventhe greenhouse looks sad ,just a few tomatoes plants nearly bare of there leaves and the last of there fruits trying to ripen in the ever shortening days of autum {cry}

But still got a nice lot of leeks and parsnips to keep us going ,and although the leaves are like lace the sprouts are going to be good .
The bed where i had the sweetcorn is now manured and covered for the winter ,the frame holds the cover on nicely.Will have onions and leeks in next year.
Both of this years potatoe beds are empty now ,apart fromthe ones i have missed }hairout{ ,the covered one has been heavily manured and will be used for sweetcorn next year ,the other for burning up any rubbish the lightly manured before covering ,may lime it in the spring before useing it for next years brassicas.
Still got a few bits in the pollytunnel carrots,red beet and lettuce .
Soon be time to gather our few apples cant wait to try the red ones.