Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:I finally got to see the video - I like it bill )t' I'm afraid my shed both at the allotment and at home are too cluttered for filming :oops:

billnorfolk wrote:Makes you wonder if all this chitting is realy needed

oh I absolutely agree that there is no need for chitting whatsoever - you only have to see the rogue potatoes that get left behind the year before coming up without any help. I think on a small scale, as in home gardens, chitting has already started the growing process and in the right conditions such as a warmer planting area means they get off quicker and you can get some early potatoes before the farmers are ready. I also think chitting is just something to keep gardeners occupied so that they don't plant them too early LOL

I had to tidy my shed to do anything in there lancashire lass,i bung everything in out of the way through the winter then have to sort it to use it. :oops:

Probably not going to chit my main crop spuds and see what happens,some of them rogue ones grow from little bits of root ,tiny bits of potatoe,its a problem with planting them you have to have another cleer out again the following year.

Glad you liked the vid was my first go at it ,will try another soon. >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Jemberelli wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:Makes you wonder if all this chitting is realy needed

lancashire lass wrote: I also think chitting is just something to keep gardeners occupied so that they don't plant them too early LOL

Or in the case of a novice like myself, it made me feel like I had half a clue! I just wanted to get going and make a start on doing something >veg5<

We are all novices jemberelli and that is half the fun,cos if it goes wrong then you have an excuse )w( ,no mater how much we do or think we know can learn something new everyday.I find veg gardening one of the most satisfying things you can do and the end product is vegetables that taste better than any you will buy in Tescos (might not look as good ) .Believe me with half a clue you can grow what ever you want >gl<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

MissEllie wrote:Great video Billy )t' those toms are bound to be yummy with all your TLC.
That's really interesting about chitting, will pass that onto OH :-D

Thank you MissEllie,think we are down to our last jar of chutney ,so hope they hurry up. )t'

OH will be happy with me if he can get away with no chitting )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:LL is so right about the rogue tatties that pop up in a neat row of beans or peas that you have planted in the current year. Though strangely, I find these can yield some of the best crops, makes you think twice about chitting eh ?

You are so right Annie can be a pain,but as you say some of the best spuds come from them rogue ones. >dowhat<

Think the little kidney potatoes i have ,may plant in the polly tunnell to see how they get on )wav(

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Friday 01.03.2013 temp 6.0 deg c

Well i had a choice today pruneing or tidying the polly tunnel >shrug< Well with the cold wind showing no signs of dropping or warming up thought polly tunnel is the place for me.

After a couple of hours looked bit better,i am not letting this cold spell beat me and i am going to put my early kidney potatoes in there in the next couple of days,so dug in some well rotted manure added a little fresh compost and we ready to go.

Took most of my carrots out just before christmas but left a row ,and had forgot about them ,this is the result.
Even after the cold weather and snow the polly tunnel offered enough protection,usually i take the cover off but looking at putting a new one on next year thought i would leave it on .It is going to be a late spring this year and not in any hurry to get things outside.The lettuce i set new years day are slowly slowly ,probably end up setting in the polly tunnel as well. )t'
Image )

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:Took most of my carrots out just before christmas but left a row ,and had forgot about them ,this is the result.

I had some surplus carrots that were too fiddly for whatever reason to bother dealing with and then they started to get a bit smelly in the bag so I decided to tip them on one of the squash beds with intentions of digging them as compost later. They were covered in snow, ice, rain - you name it - and after 2 months they looked as fresh as the day I dug them up, doh. Makes sense really as they would normally set flower in the 2nd year.

The beds in the polytunnel are looking good )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Good morning Lancashire lass

The one problem i have with these polly tunnels is the zips ,they realy arent up to opening and closeing lots of times specially when the weather is cold as zips are plastic,hence the reason i hadnt been in for several weeks .You are right though they should keep ok but was surprised the frost hadnt got them ,like yours they were still good. )t'

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Bill I hate zips on anything too many still useable jackets, jeans etc as well as these plastic covers on mini greenhouses, cloches have to be binned becuase of useless plastic zips. I am sure in the good old days ,zips had metal teeth which lasted far longer.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:Bill I hate zips on anything too many still useable jackets, jeans etc as well as these plastic covers on mini greenhouses, cloches have to be binned becuase of useless plastic zips. I am sure in the good old days ,zips had metal teeth which lasted far longer.

You are right Annie will have to see if i can design a door so can do away with zips ,started playing up last year }hairout{ but worse now.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday2.03.2013

Tried another couple of videos today ,have been busy planting my kidney potatoes in the polly tunnel,the reason for this is to beat the weather a bit as still a bit to cold at the moment.Well hear goes.

Click on the picture below and it should go straight to it. >fi<

This next one is part two of the one above. )t'

Same again click the below picture to go to the video part 2

One thing i like to do once i have stuff growing in the polly tunnel or greanhouse is any water leave in there to get the same temp ,no shocks then for your plants )t'

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Bill, thank you for taking the time to make & post your videos. I am finding them very informative - keep them coming!! )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Jemberelli thank you very much for your coments ,it is very nice of you. {hug} .Trying to find away to do it so can have both hands free,not easy gardening with one hand :? .Realy glad you and some of the other members find them usefull. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLxL4Bj0Wo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua10KTlHyR0

Above are a couple of utube shortcuts to the last couple of videos,might be a bit better to watch as utube stabilise them so less shake )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 5.03.2013

Certainly a spring like day today,but sadly the weathermen say its not set to last .Back to the potting shed today ,sowing caulies,cabbage and a few sprouts ,click the first picture belowe for another short video ,sorry about the sound for some reason doesnt pick sound up to well.

I have sowed all the caulies i need as seems the early sowings seem to do better than the late ones ,may get to hot for them.Most of what i grow are destined for the freezer.

Will continue to sow a few lettuce and cabbage every few weeks,hopefully to spread them out a bit.

First glimps of the Tomatoes i set on 27/02 two or three just starting to show. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday 9.03.2013

Rain rain go away,come again another day.Wish today i could get it to go away . :?

This is the picture outside my drive taken 10 minutes ago.

Oh well at least i have some football to watch. )c(