Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Monday 11.03.2013

Looks like spring will be a little late this year,this was the scene at 7.30am this morning and with a temp of minus 2 deg c,have brought all my veggy seed sets indoors as far to cold in the greenhouse }hairout{
Listening to the weather forcast ,could last untill end of month {cry}

A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

It's the same up here Bill. Will your seedlings be ok? We haven't started planting yet which I'm quite glad about now!
Stay warm {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} one of the reasons why I tend to leave things later rather than go for "early" sowings as the weather always has to have the last laugh. Later sowings generally catch up with earlier sowings - and usually the greenhouse can cope with the odd wobble but at least by then it won't be as sub arctic.

billnorfolk wrote:Listening to the weather forcast ,could last untill end of month {cry}

Sometimes worth looking at the MetOffice link - scroll down to UK forecast and type in your location to get your region. Short term forecasts tend to be fairly accurate, the month forecast may change but gives a general outlook of expectations.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Oh Blimey Bill yike*
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

MissEllie wrote:It's the same up here Bill. Will your seedlings be ok? We haven't started planting yet which I'm quite glad about now!
Stay warm {hug}

Yes MissEllie things should be ok ,brought the vegie seeds indoors on the window sill keeping the Tomatoe plants company )t'.Jersey spuds in pollytunnel should be ok ground warm as had some sun,so just a few lettuce plants left in greenhouse they have been out all winter so will be fine .Will soon be time to repot my Tomatoes but they can stay indoors so not to much of a problem at the moment ,hope it soon warms up though )t'

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Morning Bill, just catching up with your diary and can hardly credit the difference a week makes - certainly knocking progress on the head for you.
I am just going to buy tommy plants from the garden centre this year as only want about 6 and can pick the varieties, without having to buy a full packet that may go to waste and they aren't in yet, I suspect maybe Easter weekend so I will ned to be sharp to get the healthiest specimens.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:{hug} one of the reasons why I tend to leave things later rather than go for "early" sowings as the weather always has to have the last laugh. Later sowings generally catch up with earlier sowings - and usually the greenhouse can cope with the odd wobble but at least by then it won't be as sub arctic.

billnorfolk wrote:Listening to the weather forcast ,could last untill end of month {cry}

Sometimes worth looking at the MetOffice link - scroll down to UK forecast and type in your location to get your region. Short term forecasts tend to be fairly accurate, the month forecast may change but gives a general outlook of expectations.

Yes its a fact they do catch up ,but hopefully nothing to come to any harm at the moment.

Yes i do watch the local forcast and as you say fairly accurate .

Had early spuds planted on 12th March last year ,lots of veggie sown in pollytunnel,Tomatoes transplanted to bigger pots,leeks,peas in gutters all sown before now,have been hanging on and wont do anything outside till weather improves,will continue with things i can get indoors though ,i can see lots of things will be 4to6 weeks behind last year >dowhat< )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Oh Blimey Bill yike*

Yes its a bit of a pain Angela,but never mind ,how are things in your part of the world today ,better than hear i hope :-D

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:Morning Bill, just catching up with your diary and can hardly credit the difference a week makes - certainly knocking progress on the head for you.
I am just going to buy tommy plants from the garden centre this year as only want about 6 and can pick the varieties, without having to buy a full packet that may go to waste and they aren't in yet, I suspect maybe Easter weekend so I will ned to be sharp to get the healthiest specimens.

Morning Annie

Brrrrrrrrrr i think is the key word today ,sounds like a good idea you have there with your toms,mine soon need repotting .Was saying to LL going to be around 6 weeks behind this year on some things,just cant fathom the weather at moment,several times had snow in March but never as cold as this just +1 at moment and looks set until end of month will be a short growing season if so. }hairout{ >gl<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thursday 24th March

Realy cant understand this weather ,hovering around 10 deg at moment ,reluctant to go outside and do much as snow forcast for tomorrow,must get Tomatoe plants repotted as soon as >fi<

Will try to video for those who arent to sure ,and show a way to cure the leggy ones )w(

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures and diary entries Bill )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:

Yes its a bit of a pain Angela,but never mind ,how are things in your part of the world today ,better than hear i hope :-D

Sorry I missed this, it blinkin freeeeeeeezing here, no snow ....... Yet !
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

billnorfolk wrote:Thursday 24th March

Bill stop wishing your life away its the 21st March {rofwl}
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Benny&Co wrote:Wonderful pictures and diary entries Bill )t'

Thank you Bev ,will be running out of things to say if weather doesnt soon improve :-D

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:

Sorry I missed this, it blinkin freeeeeeeezing here, no snow ....... Yet !

Hi Angela keep looking out the window,we suposed to get some soon,but hopeing not }hairout{