Jo's diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
chickenjo
Lively Laner

Jo's diary 2013

Post by chickenjo »

Hi all,

Well I'm relatively new to all of this. Every year I buy herbs and plants and usually kill them. But this year I'm serious. I've bought a small greenhouse, pots, the lot. And, after having seen Jannie's diary entry, I decided to visit eBay and bought myself a load of seeds (I did get rather carried away).

I've set aside an area of the garden and this year I will keep the hens in their pen and not give in to cute googly eyes which led to the demise of both my potatoes and borlotti beans last year. They will only be out under strict supervision.

And so I thought to help me, I'd keep a diary on here. This weekend I plan to set up the greenhouse (if the snow doesn't visit) and begin potting up my broad beans. I'm rather excited about it all. I'm also going wildlife friendly for the front garden and have bought some red sunflower seeds which seem a little different and a wildlife mix to sow along the side of the house which faces onto the path and so can't really be used for much as most likely some yobs will use it as a litter bin. But wildflowers don't cost much and I may have some success.

So wish me luck and I'm going to attempt to keep writing! Oh, and here's a picture of the grand seed collection so far.
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251666_10152613559525503_1938127249_n.jpg
1 tolerant husband, 2 lazy but crazy shibas (Dali and Yoshi), countless fish and shrimp and 3 (soon to be 4) cheerful chooks: Eleanor the prissy pekin, Anastasia the warbling wyandotte, and Georgiana the rock chick.

Rehomed after being reared as chicks: Ginger (he was actually a boy) and Marilyn who are now frolicking in someone else's garden!

Deeply missed are Eowyn and Arwen, the demanding but gorgeous ex-batts that thought they had the same rights as the dogs; Isabella the silkie beauty and Lizzie the elderly pekin I adopted with her hubby Henry, also passed.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Jo's diary 2013

Post by jannie »

Hi Jo ..So glad you're going to keep a diary, it will be good to see how you get on. )t'
It's not always easy ..but when you put the first crop on your plate it will be so worth it. Glad my post inspired you to buy some seeds and have a go. If you have any questions there is always someone on here to help and encourage. :-D
chickenjo
Lively Laner

Re: Jo's diary 2013

Post by chickenjo »

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/21894_10152620026070503_142590186_n.jpg

Well the little greenhouse is up and I've put in a couple of trays with 12 borlotto beans, 12 broad beans, 12 carrots (purple haze?) and 12 purple sprouting broccoli. It's possibly a bit soon, but as I've a fair few seeds I thought I'd make a practice run at least and if they come out good, then that'll be nice.

Next weekend I need to properly prep the ground which I want to plant in.

Can't wait to get planting more seeds...
1 tolerant husband, 2 lazy but crazy shibas (Dali and Yoshi), countless fish and shrimp and 3 (soon to be 4) cheerful chooks: Eleanor the prissy pekin, Anastasia the warbling wyandotte, and Georgiana the rock chick.

Rehomed after being reared as chicks: Ginger (he was actually a boy) and Marilyn who are now frolicking in someone else's garden!

Deeply missed are Eowyn and Arwen, the demanding but gorgeous ex-batts that thought they had the same rights as the dogs; Isabella the silkie beauty and Lizzie the elderly pekin I adopted with her hubby Henry, also passed.