Stewart's Allotment Diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
stewpot
Lively Laner

Re: Stewart's Allotment Diary 2013

Post by stewpot »

MissEllie wrote:Wow Stewart, it's looking great )t'
I wouldn't worry about allotment neighbours, there's always folk in life who like to feel superior - luckily we know that all members of Down the Lane ARE superior )w(

)t'
Don't worry we take it all with a pinch of salt
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Stewpots DTL Allotment Diary 2013
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Right this should bring us bang up to date with the scorchio weekend just gone. So down again we went to the allotment sproglets in tow.

I really wanted to finish digging the middle section. I attacked it with gusto on Saturday and made a break through one side to the raspberry canes, but come Sunday it was too hot to quite finish so I have about a 3' x 4' section to finish

Got the last 8 spuds in and nearly all the seed in the raised beds are up so got another 2 small cheap cloches.

But here is the new tool I got on the previous Friday. Broke apart a thinner type pallet in 5 mins. )t'

Good lady spent a lot of time and hard work clearing out between the raspberries as well. Also got some of the peas we re-sowed at the front of the shed coming up - much excitement!

Well Sunday was stupid hot and I'd caught the sun a bit on saturday so I sorted out the shed drainage. There were 2 half pipes to dustbins on the side opposite the blue butt. But they stopped me raising the security flap over the shed window. Off they came. But needed to set up on other side as we realised how easy it is to use up your water.

I have rigged up drainpipe to one dustbin and placed the other under the eaves for now. Still have 2 more dustbins to place maybe on overflows. But built a stand for one dustbin and a lid for the blue water butt to stop all the leaves and crud going in as well all from pallet wood.

Planted tomato, cucumber and corguette seeds at home as well. Very pleased as peas, sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower seeds all coming up in seed trays and pots along fence in the back garden

TTFN
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

stewpot wrote: We seem to have had a phantom strimmer and burner! I knew the committee had been tidying vacant plots by ploughing them to encourage someone to take them. But it appears someone got a bee in their bonnet about the weeds left on ours we hadn't got to

Sometimes it's difficult to know if someone had a bee in their bonnet or if they thought they were doing you a favour - a bit like my neighbour would come over on my side of the garden to trim the privet hedge without asking me first and when I asked them not to do that, they genuinely got upset ( :oops: making me feel awkward afterwards) as they thought they were helping me ..... Even so, having a bonfire on your plot was well out of order especially as it looks like they burned their rubbish not yours

Re: water - is the only water available coming from the water butts off the shed roof, or do you also have mains water piped on to the site? If you have to provide your own, then you'll need several more butts!! Having said that, I noticed your location is Wales .... even so, a dry stretch of weather can be very stressful if you have to ration what you need to water.
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

lancashire lass wrote:
stewpot wrote: We seem to have had a phantom strimmer and burner! I knew the committee had been tidying vacant plots by ploughing them to encourage someone to take them. But it appears someone got a bee in their bonnet about the weeds left on ours we hadn't got to

Sometimes it's difficult to know if someone had a bee in their bonnet or if they thought they were doing you a favour - a bit like my neighbour would come over on my side of the garden to trim the privet hedge without asking me first and when I asked them not to do that, they genuinely got upset ( :oops: making me feel awkward afterwards) as they thought they were helping me ..... Even so, having a bonfire on your plot was well out of order especially as it looks like they burned their rubbish not yours

Re: water - is the only water available coming from the water butts off the shed roof, or do you also have mains water piped on to the site? If you have to provide your own, then you'll need several more butts!! Having said that, I noticed your location is Wales .... even so, a dry stretch of weather can be very stressful if you have to ration what you need to water.

Wasn't actual neighbour but someone one across. But like I said all under the bridge now except fire which was a no no.

Are you trying to say it rains all the time in Wales because you're pretty right. But we have had short dry stretch and its the raised beds which are most concern. We don't have any mains water on site.

We are up to 3 dustbins and water butt which we need to fill but yes need another butt or 2 ideally. Then some decent rain to fill them. Just lightish stuff the last 2 days although that will be enough for the plants for a while but not to fill the bins.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Looking realy good Stewart,great raised beds its the way i go so much easier to plan and work on .It is lovely when the children have there own garden and can see things grow.Used to get mine hooked on Radishes quick and easy to grow ,would need Jack Danials now to have the same effect {rofwl} .
Keep up the good work its looking good . )t'

Forgot to thank your Swansea team ,beating Wigan has given our Norwich lads a bit of breathing space )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome to the Lane, Stewart, interesting reading your diary.
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

billnorfolk wrote:Looking realy good Stewart,great raised beds its the way i go so much easier to plan and work on .It is lovely when the children have there own garden and can see things grow.Used to get mine hooked on Radishes quick and easy to grow ,would need Jack Danials now to have the same effect {rofwl} .

Forgot to thank your Swansea team ,beating Wigan has given our Norwich lads a bit of breathing space )t'

Lol don't worry Bill not my Swansea. I live in Newport and am english. But wales is a great english county all the same :-D . Only kidding love it hear and wife Welsh anyway.

Your boys did a bit well against the baggies yesterday anyway so you should be okay.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

stewpot wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:Looking realy good Stewart,great raised beds its the way i go so much easier to plan and work on .It is lovely when the children have there own garden and can see things grow.Used to get mine hooked on Radishes quick and easy to grow ,would need Jack Danials now to have the same effect {rofwl} .

Lol don't worry Bill not my Swansea. I live in Newport and am english. But wales is a great english county all the same :-D . Only kidding love it hear and wife Welsh anyway.

Your boys did a bit well against the baggies yesterday anyway so you should be okay.

Looks like we going to stay up now Finally got some rain only trouble living in the east driest part of the country .Every thin g looking good on your plot ,keep up the good work )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Well Saturday was too busy to get down there, but we did manage a couple of hours on Sunday. Kids are getting a bit bored of us digging so might have to change the way we work as still half to dig. They like to plant and do.

Finished the digging right up to the Raspberry canes and dig a jig to celebrate. Also weeding almost done between them. Need to find a few stakes and wires as they ar getting a bit battered in the winds now they are taller.

Harvested another batch of Rhubarb. More of my favourite crumble yum. Also wife did a rhubarb muffin recipe and they were lush.

Loads of stuff shooting in seed trays and pots in the back garden. Broad beans, runner beans and French Beans as well as Green sprouting that I only planted last week.

Exciting times
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

stewpot wrote:Also wife did a rhubarb muffin recipe and they were lush

hmmm, I think your wife needs to visit the cookery section and post this recipe )t'

stewpot wrote:Kids are getting a bit bored of us digging so might have to change the way we work as still half to dig. They like to plant and do.

I can't remember if you have or not, but how about getting the kids to start off a couple of sunflowers (sow a few to be sure of germination and then they have to choose one or two each) and let them look after and measure how tall they grow - maybe make it a "competition" to see who can grow the tallest. The flower heads are full of nectar and very attractive to bees (encouraging them on to the plot to visit other fruiting flowers) and the seed heads will make great winter treats for the wild birds so nothing is wasted. You will need some sturdy stakes to make sure the sunflowers are not blown over as the heads can make them a bit top heavy.
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

lancashire lass wrote:
stewpot wrote:Also wife did a rhubarb muffin recipe and they were lush

hmmm, I think your wife needs to visit the cookery section and post this recipe )t'

stewpot wrote:Kids are getting a bit bored of us digging so might have to change the way we work as still half to dig. They like to plant and do.

I can't remember if you have or not, but how about getting the kids to start off a couple of sunflowers (sow a few to be sure of germination and then they have to choose one or two each) and let them look after and measure how tall they grow - maybe make it a "competition" to see who can grow the tallest. The flower heads are full of nectar and very attractive to bees (encouraging them on to the plot to visit other fruiting flowers) and the seed heads will make great winter treats for the wild birds so nothing is wasted. You will need some sturdy stakes to make sure the sunflowers are not blown over as the heads can make them a bit top heavy.

I will try and get her to disclose. Out of a book so don't know how Richard is with that re:copyright etc

We did do sunflowers but none have grown except wife's lol. They were old seeds though. We nhave said we will try some more. Anyway son (3 yrs) help do spuds so he will be keen when they come up and just loves digging and getting mucky as well its daughter (9 yrs) whogets bored now. She has attention span of goldfish anyway.

be better once things growing more and start to harvest
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

stewpot wrote:Out of a book so don't know how Richard is with that re:copyright etc

you could have pleaded ignorance if you hadn't mentioned the book LOL, but providing you include the author & the book title (maybe a link to the book on say Amazon), there should be no reason for copyright issues
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

I get back with that recipe shortly

Well enormous amounts of rain yesterday so hopeful that will top up the butts. Just hope it hasn't battered the plants down.

Seeds at home still coming up strong. More green sprouting, french beans and about 6 runner beans. Just corgettes and tomatos left to sprou.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Well you know once the courgettes start they will go like wild fire , good old courgettes.
Whats the temperatures like with you - we are still getting it far too cold for this time of year in this bit of Scotland, I have toms and cucs in the greenhouse that are doing ok, even one or two flowers starting to form but we certainly need some warmth for the outside stuff to get a fair chance ?
Great to see the whole of your family down the lottie , too often its the man of the houses' escape )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Well I am hoping they go like stink Annie. Got 24 planted. Weather has been very very wet down here this week. Battery warning light kept coming on last night on drive home - water getting in and aqua planeing on motorway. Quite a bit colder this week but not too bad. Its the wind more than anything. But seeds are all outside and going great guns. Still about a month behind because of the weather and we weren't very organised

Good news though. Just had text from my good lady wife who has managed to got hold of 2 blueberry plants for £3 in B&M bargains in Cardiff. Last 2 in shop so we're going to give those a go