Stewart's Allotment Diary 2013

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
stewpot
Lively Laner

Re: Stewart's Allotment Diary 2013

Post by stewpot »

Well that's a result! Apparently they came up as £2 when she got to the till so 2 for £2 it is. Lovely )t'
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Stewpots DTL Allotment Diary 2013
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Great dairy Stewart and it looks like your well on top of things down your garden. Am I right in reading your post that you are growing 24 courgette plants? yike* they yeild a very lot of produce of each plant so if true I hope you have loads of neighbours to give them to :-D Again great thread and your garden looks great.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

HappyBob wrote:Great dairy Stewart and it looks like your well on top of things down your garden. Am I right in reading your post that you are growing 24 courgette plants? yike* they yeild a very lot of produce of each plant so if true I hope you have loads of neighbours to give them to :-D Again great thread and your garden looks great.

Yeah misses has pointed that out but me and the ids got carried away to what the hell lo. Just going to grow as much as we can this year. Can always freeze it, turn it into sauces and freeze it or give away to family. Just better get digging that last 200m2 now!

Weather looks to have improved a little so hopefully can get up there this weekend. Need some DPM or tough plastic now to cover it until planted. Have to work on that one.
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Blimey, nothing like a challenge, but aren't you doing well !!

Great stuff.

Richard )t' )t'

(PS. there's some birthday greetings down in Members Chat) )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Enjoying your post, Stewart. What fabulous soil you have, and I love your daughter's little garden.
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

My oh my 2 months since I posted - bad boy. So much has happened life so busy, narrowly avoided redundancy and the allotment coming along nicely.

Okay so an update is due which means I have to get around to downloading the pictures from my phone.

Quick verbal one though:

The jungle is 2/3 chopped down and plasticed up
Taking the old compost heap apart and getting some nice new potatoes out of it - should be a good free crop )t'
Starting to harvest - salad leaf, leaf beet and about 2lb of raspberries so far.
Spuds are coming into flower so not long now
carrots and parsnips going great guns
Going to build 2 more raised beds
Delivery on friday of a huge load of old scaffold planks to rebuild compost bins properly
Corgettes, cabbages, caulis, runners and sprouts all in and doing well
Peas frying in the heat
Running out of water in the butts - argh!

Thats a quite run down for now lol. Be back in a few days with some pictures. Hoping to get website up about it in next few weeks as well as I am enjoying doing this so much
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Nice to see the update stewpot )t'
[center][/center]Davina
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

davina112 wrote:Nice to see the update stewpot )t'

Nice to be back Davina. Hopefully I'll get some pics up tonight
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Ok I want to take back on a journey in time to a place called... The Twili.. ok maybe not but lets hawk back a couple of months to about 10th of May

Yet more May Rhubarb!

And as if by magic Mr Benn style...Rhubarb Muffins. They were very nice but perhaps needed more rhubarb in them.

We were late with seeds so just started coming through in May - Cabbages, caulis, peas and a single broad bean and a free tuft of cat hair

First one down will try to keep it nice and steady over next few days as have time and get it up to date.

Excited today getting an absolute load of scaffold planks dekivered to allotment from scaffolders at work - scheduled to build a new compost bin and some more raised beds possibly

Looks like could get my hands on an IBC for a real big water but as well
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Okay we're getting there again so let's finish off May

Daughters Garden coming along nicely

Extra onions all in and sprouting dispite the birds digging them up:

Raised bed one with the salad stuff

Raised Bed 2 with the carrots and parsnips

Raspberries shooting along with spuds

Sugar snap peas going very slow

A few sweetcorn we're trying out. Will probably mostly use these for seed for next year
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Last of May stuff

Cabbages in and netted with custom keepnet job
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Into June now and flying with warm and some wet weather so everything growing - including those pesky weeds and rogue potato plants everywhere

View from the shed:

Unfortunately some of the jungle is still there and the old compost heap which has spuds growing in it

ImageImage

Although got some cheapish big roll of damproof membrane from Wicks so hack down weeds and covering for digging later.

Raised beds flourishing and carrots and parsnips growing fast. Salad crop is being harvested already and is lovely and cruchy
ImageImage

Green sprouting in now from pots along with sprouts
ImageImage

First 6 corgettes from 24 planted and strawberries are looking nice. Not many plants this year but will have own area next year for runners to go mad when we plan properly
ImageImage

More soon...
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

And more on June. We have been busy bees this month.

The raspberries which were here when we took the plot are a real boon. Going great guns and lots of fruit on them

The potatoes have shot up with the damp warm weather

The veggies are doing well even though in a bit late - runners, broad beans and french beans. Not many broad beans as I am the only one who definitely likes them so we shall see next year after they have tasted them fresh. Got some cheap mesh over the canes as well as the peas didn't want to climb those

Only problem is trees overhanging the shed. Stopping water getting to the roof and then to the water butts. I will have to do something about that as even with the June rain then are starting to run low
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Okay June is nearly done. Just had time to hack down some more weeds and get some more plastic down.

So what's planned for July?
Scrouge a load of scaffold boards
Dismantle the old compost heap clear the area and rebuild with solid scaffold planks
Try and get some more raised beds in
Hopefully start harvesting something besides salad. Those raspberries are going to be particularly nice
Start looking at how to chop down the tree

Just leave you with a shot of the cheeky workers.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Well done Stewart you have bin working hard ,looking neat and tidy and enjoying some of the fruits of your labour,nice to see the kids enjoying it.My raised beds are 3mx2m that way if need be you can kneel and plant or weed accross from both sides so i dont walk on them unless i realy need to .Keep an eye at B&Q and such places through the winter for cheap compost ideal for filling them raised beds and any stabels for a free load of horse muck.
You should find things a little easyer next year and planning on where things are going should soon be getting under way ,good luck and looking forward to Julys entry )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014