Dilemma - down to one hen need advice please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
hen2live
Learner Laner

Dilemma - down to one hen need advice please

Post by hen2live »

Haven't posted for a good while but am in a real dilemma about what to do. Lost my oldest (of 3) hen 3 weeks ago with symptoms of runny , dark smelly poo, loss of weight. Have just had to cull a younger girl with similar condition. came back from a few days away and her rear end was caked in poo and bleeding. So am now left with one apparently OK chicken who is still laying and apparently fine. The other two had stopped laying, Bonnie (oldest) because of old age I presume about a year ago, but Flo (younger) about 6 weeks ago.

Dilemma is at what point do I get more chickens ? Bonnie and Flo were the pair, and Edie, the survivor, was the lowest in the pecking order, but I suspect she will be miserable on her own all the same. Clearly can't look for another home for her as I'm not sure whether, even if she doesn't succumb she could carry whatever it is that they had, and the same applies to getting new birds myself. I'm also reluctant to cull an apparently healthy bird, though I guess that is what the 'professionals' might do? HELP!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Dilemma - down to one hen need advice please

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Sorry you're posting under such sad circumstances {cry} I'm not sure about the dark poo - have you checked the poo chart? It may give you a clue about what they had and whether it's contagious or not.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index. ... ic=17568.0

If there was blood on your last girl, it could have been a few things - a prolapse, one of the others had pecked her (can happen with a prolapse) or coccidiosis. Other possibilities could be an egg related problem (stuck egg or peritonitis) or even a heavy burden of worms. Could you tell whether she'd had a prolapse?

If you're really worried you could send a sample of your remaining chicken's poo off for testing at Retford Poultry Partnership - address is Unit 5 Stirling Road, West Carr Industrial Estate, Retford Notts. DN22 7SN and phone 01777 703011. Not sure how much they cost but it would let you know whether there's something in your flock?

As for introductions, you're right that she will feel lonely. If you want to keep keeping chickens, then I'd recommend getting her a friend or preferably two as soon as you can. And worm her maybe if she hasn't been done for a while?

I suspect it's just coincidence that your two girls have died but have a look at the poo chart and see if anything there matches what your girls were producing. Did they show any other symptoms ie hunched position, crop problems, yellow or very dark green poo? And when you say smelly - far more so than usual?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
hen2live
Learner Laner

Post by hen2live »

Thanks Karen , that's given me some pause for thought, and I may go ahead with the faecal analysis, will give them a ring tomorrow and perhaps also look for something similar locally.

Both of the hens did show other signs, they weren't eating much grain or pellets, though the younger one was stlll cropping grass and greens, also quite lethargic, and tail tucked down. the poo smell was unlike anything that Ive ever experienced with chickens, but smelled more like cow pats (though far looser, like water and literally squirting out)) they were very different to smelly caecal ones.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Nothing on the poo chart looked like them?

I'm no expert, Manda would be able to give you better advice but if they haven't been eating i imagine that would've affected their poo. I wonder if It could be vent gleet? Have a read and see if anything rings a bell

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent- ... icken-butt
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I have a friend at work who has got down to one chicken . is moving hosue in August , so not replacing any till after the move. He has a dog and cats etc . The chicken seems to have survived now for a few months and the dog is compant ( plus his children ) , basically I think they need company if not other fowl .
Bob