LL's Gardening Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's 2013 GYO Diary

Post by lancashire lass »

davina112 wrote:LL, glad you like your PT, ours is just starting to look good, the is our first year really as it was completed late last year.

)t' This year I'll be concentrating on the chilli challenge so there are no beds as I want the plants raised off the ground which is a bit on the cold side but next year I'm already planning on growing melons and lots of tomatoes under cover.

I worked so hard yesterday I woke up stiff as a board - definitely felt my age this morning {cry} I felt obliged to go to the allotment today because (1) it's been over a week since I last called in and (2) I wanted to make the most of the last of the sunshine before the forecast rain arrives. After moving the growbags for the tomatoes into the greenhouse, and re-organising the plants around in the polytunnel so that the hottest chillies got the maximum sunlight and warmth at the far end of the tunnel, a quick water and then it was off to the plot by 8.30am.

I still had half a row of french dwarf beans to sow - Minidor bush beans - and I also took the Oca to be planted. I made up a small bottle of weedkiller to treat the footpaths and got on with that as soon as I arrived. The plot barely looks that much different from last week other than the Dreadnought broad beans have germinated. No sign of the peas and I didn't expect the beans just yet, but there were plenty of tiny weed seedlings emerging everywhere.

After sowing the beans and watering them in, and planting the Oca tubers in the sleeper bed, I spent quite a long time surveying the plot - all the potatoes have now emerged, with 8 empty beds yet to fill (plus the 2 squash beds and pond bed for the outdoor toms) and I want to create the last bed where the last of the manure is sited (so should be very fertile) for the courgettes. As I have booked the rest of the week off work, I'm fairly confident I should get all the beds ready for the big plant out (I have a lot of stuff in pots at home) in the next 2-3 weeks weather permitting. The ongoing cold weather has been a big problem but I'm hopeful that we are in for a proper heatwave by then LOL.

Then I got on with weeding. I particularly wanted to get the dock out that seem to be thriving. I cleared 3 beds and started on the squash beds. The big bed didn't need much doing but the butternut bed was very messy. Worse, it seemed to have loads of potatoes coming up ... I can only think that these were peelings which I had hoped frost would kill off although there seemed to be big chunky pieces which I do not recall putting in the bed. I was tiring quickly so only did a half job before packing up. Despite the sun out, the wind was especially chilly and blustery so I left at 12.00pm. Not a particularly fruitful day.

At home a quick check on the polytunnel - the wind seemed quite gusty but in the garden the polytunnel was well sheltered and was barely a breeze. Still, I closed the zipper door and opened the vents to be on the safe side.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Rain, deliveries, debris netting & repotting brassicas

I was so tired yesterday that gardening jobs were put on hold - but the weekend's exertions have been worth it as it rained all day, non-stop. I popped down to the polytunnel in the afternoon to check on the chillies and to my dismay found water on the plastic sheeting laid over the ground. It seemed to run the entire length of the polytunnel directly under the seam where pieces of the cover have been stitched together. However, I don't think it is a leak but just condensation running down and accumulating at the seam before dropping down. Thankfully no plants directly underneath. A look at the thermometer and it was only 13oC ... with the hot chillies moved from the back bedroom, this is quite a significant drop in daytime temperature for them (cold nights are worrying too) I think I might have to consider getting some heating moved in there.

Yesterday I got a few deliveries in the post. The new media card reader arrived, and .... the compact flash card works )c( Fingers crossed it keeps on working (the cheap one from Asda worked just one day then stopped, a second one didn't work at all, so hopefully this is 3rd time lucky and a slightly more expensive model from Amazon) So I'll be able to take some piccies now and upload them at home. The other parcel was some more gardening supplies - I got another codling moth trap for the apple trees (now I can put one each in the Bramley trees) and some sticky yellow and blue cards for the greenhouses/polytunnel to trap flying insects like whitefly. I'll have to make sure I don't accidentally walk into them once they are hanging up - the thought of having a sticky card stuck in my hair is rather worrying LOL. I also got one more glue band so will finish putting a second one on the trees where I had run out. I definitely saw loads of ants hesitating at one of the bands on the plum tree so obviously works, but :? they were in the top half of the tree ... how did that happen?

I started to think about the brassicas on the plot and although the cheap netting I got last year was adequate, I have been wanting to get some debris/scaffold netting but needed to time the delivery for when I was at home - as I've booked leave for the rest of this week, seemed a good idea to do it for next day delivery (I think - I didn't see a despatch e-mail) Anyway, I ordered a 3M x 50M roll from Scaffolding Supplies Direct for £29.00p. Of course, add £8 delivery (which you only see just before confirming the order) plus VAT, it came to nearly £44 )gr: I still think it will be worth it though.

So this morning I got on with repotting the brassicas. Only the Marathon calabrese has not germinated but seed was over 5 years old. All now in pots to grow on and hopefully plant out in 2-3 weeks time. I can see that I will be filling a lot of those empty beds on the plot that I had been looking at on Monday, and I still need to sow swede (I WILL grow swede this year!!), turnips, beetroot, chard, lettuce, carrots ......
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: More repottings and some diy

The last of the chillies needed to be repotted - most were the African Bird Eye aka Piri Piri ... all 19 plants LOL. They were in fact freebie seeds from a chilli seed purchase and came in a bag of dried chillies. As I thought they were just fruits being palmed off, I presumed the seeds would be duff but surprisingly, nearly all of them germinated. I'm sure I'll be able to pass some of the plants on, and I might grow some outside as well. Now I'm looking at potting on the first repottings that have outgrown their pots into their final big pots. The polytunnel is rapidly filling up already >dowhat<

Last night we had quite a considerable amount of rain and a lot of my pots in trays outside were drowning. Also the gap between the greenhouse and polytunnel was very muddy and slippy where the water had accumulated. When I erected the polytunnel next to the greenhouse, I had the idea of putting a cover over the gap so that the heat from both would hopefully be more stable. As more rain showers came and went, I decided to get on with constructing the cover. I had some 2x1 wood that had been purchased for a job that never happened so time to haul it out and start planning. Four posts in the corners, with a frame covered with a sheet on top. Sounds easy ... )sh

Actually it went better than expected though I totally got the length of the cover wrong but other than that, it does what I want and keeps the gap dry. After making the frame, I stapled some netting across so that the cover wouldn't sag in the middle. Finding a suitable cover was more difficult until I remembered I had an old shower curtain that I could use. When screwing the top in place, I even had the sense to slant it down so water shouldn't accumulate on top. While looking in the shed for any other bits of wood, I found an old plastic fold away door (the previous owner had taken the door off under the stairs and put that up - luckily the original door was still in the shed when I bought the house so I put it back) The plastic door was meant to go to the tip one day but actually came in very handy as a back wall in the gap and reduce some of the wind blowing into the polytunnel. So now all I need to do is make a door (a frame covered with fine netting to keep the bugs out) which I can hang up using hooks. Thereafter I can leave both the greenhouse and polytunnel doors open more or less permanently over summer. I'm rather pleased with the fact that I didn't need to buy anything - okay, not the most professional looking bit of diy and looks more suited for the allotment than the garden, but it does the job )t' I can always replace the cover another day with something more suitable.

The next few days are forecast warmer, so I really must get some sowings done to take advantage of it ....
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Repotting tomatoes, growbags & chillies

I still had a number of tomato plants in trays that desperately needed repotting - a remnant of the tomato project that has gone by the wayside as I concentrated on the chilli challenge. I had hoped the polytunnel would be big enough for the chillies, but alas I've had to spill over into the greenhouse as well :oops: :oops: So now the tomatoes are destined for the allotment and will have to take their chance with the weather. Hence, repotting them to boost the growth and start hardening them off. A perfect day for it too - hot sunshine, no wind and very muggy.

I did however, decide to keep the Delicious variety that I had sowed early and planted these in the greenhouse. So before the sun got too high and made it too uncomfortable to work in there, I got on with planting them in the growbags - 2 plants each in a ring culture, total 6. As I've never tried these tomatoes before, I have to confess that I didn't like having just one variety occupying precious greenhouse space. 3 growbags left, so I decided to plant the sweet peppers in ring cultures, 3 per bag. 3 each of Carmagnola, Peperone Rubens, California Wonder - with 9 plants left over (including a couple of Corne Rosso, and :oops: some with no labels ... these might end up being a chilli ...)

The rest of the day was spent repotting the rest of the chillies into their final pots and moving them into the polytunnel and spill over into the greenhouses. The temperature in both greenhouse and polytunnel was soaring as the sun came round the tree 2 gardens away (a very tall poplar), the humidity really high. Even walking up and down the garden was such an effort in the heat and strong sun. The biggest problem was finding big pots - I even eyed the sage in pots at one point, and debated what to do with them. Luckily I found a box in the shed which tied me over. All I need to do now is plant the Hungarian Hot Wax into the containers that are currently pinning the flap of the polytunnel. But that's for another day - my back is really complaining tonight so I think I'll be having a rest tomorrow ready for Sunday's visit to the allotment.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Busy day you had LL, you sound sooooo organized.
I got up to beautiful sunshine yesterday morning, I wanted to stay home and play in the PT and greenhouse, but I had to go to work }hairout{
When I arrived home at 5pm I went straight out, boy it was hot in there, I only did a bit of watering and was boiling hot. So today the plastic is definitely coming off the doors to allow some breeze in.
[center][/center]Davina
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Piccies of Greenhouse & Polytunnel

davina112 wrote:Busy day you had LL, you sound sooooo organized.

{rofwl} I wish. As I had booked the week off work, I wanted to get the polytunnel and greenhouse "finished" so that I can concentrate on the allotment. Either I'm feeling my age, or this gardening lark is more like a full time job LOL.

Yes, it was incredibly hot in the greenhouse and polytunnel yesterday - just walking in and I was breaking out in a sweat, yet I so wanted to get things sorted. I've put the xxx hot chillies at the warmest end of the polytunnel, and also grouped them into their different varieties. Anyway, the piccies - ignore the messy bits as it is a "work in progress" thing LOL

I still need to make the net door (and over the greenhouse window) but the wood is there ready to measure up. Sadly the cover doesn't allow much light through but as it is nice and warm between the greenhouse & polytunnel, it should be a great place to put sowings:

Sweet peppers and tomatoes in the greenhouse all planted up now. The trays of sweetcorn and squash on the floor - lots more have germinated since my last update :-D

Sticky papers work! This is within 10 minutes of hanging them up )t'

The plants have really responded well to the heat - I'm amazed at how big the leaves have got within a week of being moved into the polytunnel:

And ... I spy with my little eye ... flower buds already

Alright, this is one of the bought plants, but when I was repotting the other chillies, several others were also producing buds. I did notice that most of these seemed to be slightly pot bound, so maybe in response to the restricted root growth. We'll soon find out if the others don't flower now that they are all in big pots.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Your PT and green house look great LL, you really have packed your plants in and they look great. I like he way you have installed your canes for the tomato,s I usually just put one verticle cane per plant but I can see the advantage of your method that you can get them to grow a little bit taller, I may have to "nick" that idea )t' )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Smashing pics LL you really put some hard work in and it shows. :-D
I really enjoy reading these gardening diaries and appreciate the hard graft you all put in but dont always coment :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

HappyBob wrote:Your PT and green house look great LL, you really have packed your plants in and they look great. I like he way you have installed your canes for the tomato,s I usually just put one verticle cane per plant but I can see the advantage of your method that you can get them to grow a little bit taller, I may have to "nick" that idea

Thank you )t' I am pleased with how the chillies are coming along - sowing early is definitely the key to getting them off to a good start.

Canes ... ah, the reason for the structure is because I don't want to pierce the plastic sheet on the floor. Behind the greenhouse is a massive privet hedge (neighbour's), and the first time I pushed canes through, believe it or not, the roots from the hedge actually come up into the greenhouse and were in the growbags. Another reason why growing my own at home is difficult - the first beds were just a mass of roots and it took me a while to realise where they were coming from. On the allotment I have a slightly different set up for tomatoes which works very well - bit like the bean frame where there are a couple of uprights with a cane along the top, then the supporting canes are position behind the uprights so that they rest on the top cane at an angle. Then the plants don't grow vertically up but trained at about a 60o slant .... that way, fully ripened fruit hang down so you can see them better.

Linda S wrote:Smashing pics LL you really put some hard work in and it shows.
I really enjoy reading these gardening diaries and appreciate the hard graft you all put in but dont always coment :-D Lindaxx

Glad you enjoy reading the diaries )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Allotment piccies

Despite it being early June, the plot is still :oops: embarrassingly bare. But there are plants to go in the empty beds when they are big enough. Meanwhile, some piccies. The comfrey has really surged in the last week and burst into flowers. Bumblebees appreciate the flowers but as the comfrey is a wild type, there is a risk of self seeding so I'll be cutting it down soon to use as mulch on the squash beds.

Update on the garlic - the Illico (row next to the communal plot) is starting to throw up flower heads (scapes) I will be cutting these off very soon - they can be used for cooking :-D , but removing them means all the energy goes into the bulbs. Illico are normally ready to lift by late May/mid June but I suppose we are a bit late this year. The taller Music won't be ready until late July:

First early potatoes - look disappointing but with such a long cold spring, they are only just growing, not to mention the seed potatoes were tiny. And then there was frost damage .... I suppose I ought to be thankful they are growing LOL but I think it is going to be a late harvest this year:

2 rows of maincrop, with a row of Vivaldi (2nd early)

All the 2nd earlies are now up (the Estima was the last to be planted):

Another shot of the potatoes with the shallots in the foreground ... they seem to be struggling but hopefully with the warmer weather they'll really get going. I might give them a liquid feed to give them a boost:

The bean bed - broad beans in the foreground with climbing french beans (Cherokee) along the canes. The beans and peas that I sowed a couple of weeks ago are just starting to come through )t'

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Today's tasks at the plot was to plant the Jerusalem artichokes and the herbs in the containers. I took along 2 bags of compost to fill a couple of smaller containers and to add to the planting holes of the JAs. When I got to the plot, I was amazed to find the soil looking so dry after the very wet days earlier in the week, but it was only surface dry. Underneath the crust the soil was very moist, but at least it made it easier to dig the JA bed which is normally heavy clay.

First the herbs. I'm not so sure about the fennel or caraway as they instantly wilted the moment I started to split them apart into clumps. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. There were 3 smaller (concrete) pots that I had acquired some time ago - in the 2 pots nearest the bath tub, I filled with chamomile, the other with the pot marigold so should look pretty when they flower, the 3rd pot/trough with thyme and and winter savoury. I also had an old rusty builders wheelbarrow (with a hole where the front wheel wore through it LOL, and the tyre is deflated) with intentions of planting it up - took me nearly 5 years, but finally it's where I put the caraway. The other containers got the fennel, Korean mint (almost aniseedy flavour - unusual), Lemon Mint and Peppermint.

The JAs were planted at the back of the shed. I had 22 plants that I had rescued a few weeks back to encourage growth that were coming along nicely. They needed to be planted out before they got anywhere near pot bound - the roots develop into tubers so the last thing I want is the root ball in a tight knot! I debated whether to plant all or just a few, then thought what the heck, at least it'll make a nice living screen at the back of the plot so went for it. The reed fence at the back of the plot is falling apart and the community plot weeds are starting to invade, so I must sort that out soon.

After planting up, went round with the watering can to give the new plants a thorough drenching, and later I was a bit heavy handed with the slug pellets as I went round the plot. Then I packed up to come home. Back to work tomorrow {cry} so thought I'd have a lazy afternoon and rest up.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Sowings - lettuce, swede, beet & chard

The recent sunny days have really moved things along nicely )t' An inspection of the repottings currently on the patio (hardening off ready to plant out on the plot) have got going - cabbages, sprouts, calabrese, the Roma tomatoes (even the others I only repotted the other day look much improved too), onions from seed (MUST plant these out next!!!) and with the forecast looking promising for the rest of this week at least, I got inspired to sow some more.

First, swede - leaving it a bit late for me, but I'm confident they'll catch up. 3 different varieties: Marian, Invitation and Willemsburger, all clubroot resistant. I like Marian and Invitation, Willemsburger is a green topped swede which I'm trying out this year. On the shared plot, the soil was riddled with clubroot so I'm not taking any chances on the big plot. All sowed in 3 inch individual pots so they can develop good roots and be easy to plant out. The other reason for sowing in pots is that when I've sowed seed direct on the plot, you can almost guarantee every weed seed seems to find its way in the same sowing trench and almost impossible to see which is weed and which is a sowing until too late and becomes a fiddly finger weeding session ... many a time I've pulled everything up in disgust.

Lettuce - I've got a few varieties but today started off with Little Gem and Iceberg in pots, and some Radicchio for colour.

Beetroot - I'm not fond of pickled stuff, so not bothering with the usual red ones but my favourite is Golden Beet. They are lovely and sweet. This year I'm also trying out Albina Ice, a totally white beet.

And finally, some chard (Bright Lights) I'm giving these another try - to be honest, I wasn't that struck on chard when I first tried it, but I'll give it another go. If nothing else, I love the colour of the stalks and think they look as pretty as some flowers.

Today is garden waste day so I put the brown bin out with the last of the rubbish that I had cleared away for the polytunnel. I had loads more to fill the green bin but the sowings took longer than I planned. After moving the trays of sowings to the racking between greenhouse & polytunnel, it was a case of opening the vents and a quick check of the chillies, toms and peppers. The tomatoes seem to have peculiar new leaf growth - it can't be due to being in the greenhouse as they have been there for several weeks, so perhaps it was the recent hot spell (well, in the greenhouse at least LOL) I'll keep an eye on them. All the peppers look fine, chillies ... well, I feel like a mother hen checking on them all the time so not really seeing any changes :oops:

The trays of squashes are bursting into seedlings )t' I was a bit worried that there were still no sign of the courgettes so I chose a pot at random and dug out the seed only to find a root poking out, so carefully put it back. Hopefully all the other seeds must be the same. The butternut are slowly germinating but there is definitely signs of life so must be like the courgettes. There is a rash of cucumber seedlings sprouting so I'm pleased about that. Sweetcorn on the other hand seems to have stalled. Very late for sowing, but I decided to chit a load more to be on the safe side.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

A milder night - the thermometer in the polytunnel reading 13oC (compared to an average 9oC in a morning - way too cold for the chillies .... the ideal lowest temperature should be 15oC) A quick inspection and all's well but one concern is that there are little brown specks/running up the middle of the leaf - not sure what it is yet. Could be when I gave all the plants a spray with solution to clear any possible aphid/whitefly and the residues have left marks, or it might be the up-down temperatures, or, though unlikely, a shortfall in some micro-nutrient such as magnesium, mangenese etc. I'll be keeping an eye on them. Seems to only affect the Chinense species (hot ones like Habanero and the Nagas) whereas the Frutescens (Piri piri, Tabasco), Annuum (peppers, Cayenne, Jalepenos) and Baccatum (Aji) look fine. Interesting ....

Tomatoes still have the strange spikey/coiled new growth - apparently this is due to the raised temperatures recently in the greenhouse despite the ventilation, and nothing to worry about. They also have flower buds )c( The peppers are taking on a nice dark green leaf colour and have definitely grown since they were planted out. I'm going to have to make a bamboo cane frame for those as I do recall they can get a bit top heavy when the fruit develop.

Today I was about to sow some more lettuce varieties but for the life of me I cannot find my permanent marker pen }hairout{ It's those little things that annoyingly put things on halt. Meanwhile, while I was in the greenhouse and checking on the trays of squashes and cucumbers, I noticed 2 courgettes germinating (I won't starve now LOL), one the faithful Defender F1: if you don't know which variety to choose, Defender is a hardy, reliable and productive courgette (and makes good marrows too) Most of the cucumbers have germinated but I couldn't find the new variety that I'd ordered called Abbruzzese Chiaro (a curved Italian variety like HERE) When I got back to the house to sow them, I found the packet opened .... did I or didn't I sow them? Oh well, sow some more to be sure LOL. I also noticed the Ormskirk savoy cabbage missing so I decided to sow some of those - no labels as I'm hoping my "wonderful" memory (not) will remind me what they are.

I also did a quick visit to the allotment this morning - all my planting out herbs & JAs have survived their traumatic uprooting and seem to be settling in fine. I gave them a dose of water as we've had some non-stop hot sunshine for several days now. My other task was to get the weedkiller on the rest of the footpaths while it is still dry. I really must start at the bits were I run out because once again, I ran out before I'd got to the worst bit. Not much time to check anything on the plot, but I did notice all the Borlotti beans and Cherokee climbing beans are up, even the Minidor bush beans too. Starting to feel like the proper growing season has well and truly started now :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Sowing sweetcorn Lark F1 (batch 2)

Well, I'm now a confirmed "chitter" )t' I only started chitting the sweetcorn the other day and was just checking this morning on the progress and yike* they were all sprouting. Incredible, especially as it wasn't particularly warm yesterday - I'll never be sowing sweetcorn directly in compost ever again after today. As I had tossed in a load of seed, I wasn't expecting 100% of them to be sprouting so it was a bit of a mad panic trying to find suitable pots. I decided to go for bigger ones so that there'll be no need to repot and can go straight into the ground when they are big enough. So in addition to the 13 in the greenhouse, there are now another 40 ... I really don't think I've got bed space for them all to be honest, but my neighbour at the allotment struggles with sweetcorn so I'll pass some on (and then no worries about having different sweetcorn varieties cross-pollinating as this is a super-sweet type)

Now we just need lots and lots of lovely warm sunshine all the way through to September .... )w(
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chillies

This morning was once again chilly with a thermometer reading of 9oC in the polytunnel and quite a nippy wind too despite a clear blue sky and bright sunshine. However, clouds came over for much of the day and wasn't a particularly warm day. The polytunnel is not as warm as I would like it so I decided to move a selection of chilli plants into the glass greenhouse which gets more light and warms up quickly. That gave me some space in the polytunnel to try and space the plants out more and give them room ... but then ended up moving most of them to the far end of the tunnel where it gets warmer when the sun comes out.

I also decided to take some photos as a record of what I've got and hopefully give me a better indication of their progress. Too many photos to post on here but here's a selection:

I noticed most of the larger varieties such as Ancho, Padron, Cayenne, Espelette and Aji plus a few of the smaller more ornamental type are throwing out lots of buds. The 3 plants I bought are doing fine - the Naga Morich has now overtaken the Red Morouga in size - compared to some of the ones I've been growing from seed such as the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and Dorset Naga and the hot habaneros. Hopefully the photos will help me to compare and see any difference.

In the greenhouse, the "unknown" pepper plants are looking more and more like chillies LOL, with dark green slender leaves compared to the blocky peppers. Oh well, should be interesting to see how they turn out - and oh yes, they have got flowers coming on too!

Meanwhile, the overwintered unknown/possibly Fresno now has loads of fruit set )t'