LL's Gardening Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's Gardening Diary

Post by Mo »

Looking back it was a strange year. Too cold & wet to get started then straight into too hot & dry.
Hope your plans for 2019 come to fruition.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

6th January 2019

Post by lancashire lass »

It's been a chilly week but very little wind and dry. On New Year's eve I tackled the bottom end of the garden.

First I erected the "fence" panel (the back of the old compost bin which was still in good condition) I dug a foot deep hole for the fence post but was surprised how easy it was to dig - considering the garden is mainly heavy clay, this seemed sandy and was full of rubble (bits of broken tile / bricks / pieces of coal) so I wonder if the bottom of the garden was once a dump by previous owners. I do recall when I first tackled the bottom of the garden soon after moving in there was half a toilet bowl among other things (they ended up as "hard core" under the paving for the glass greenhouse) so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised by what I'll find when I start digging the wildlife pond. The fence was butted up to the bottom fence and screwed in so the panel should be reasonably secure.

Next, loppers and rip saw at hand, I cut down a buddleia tree - it was massive. I'd forgotten all about the buddleia my friend had given to me about 16 years ago and it had obviously grown with the branches and flowers above the privet hedge / elders so I never saw it in flower and had just assumed it had "died". I became aware of its identity when clearing round the pergola in September when I noticed some leaf buds appearing round the trunk. Trying to get the sawn off bit out was quite a struggle as branches had intertwined over the years. I did a bit more lopping and sawing of the privet hedge from the bottom end of the garden - unlike the rest of the garden which had been trimmed back over the years, this part had not. It did not take long before I had more trimmings than I could handle - the trimmings pile by the polycarbonate greenhouse was already a mountain.

On New Year's day I had a light bulb idea - to use the long lengths, trimmed of the leaves and twiggy bits and to put them on top of the pergola like a roof. I made a start but by late morning I gave up. Today I made another attempt to clear the trimmings and although not finished, I now have quite a number of long lengths on top of the pergola ... they won't keep the rain out but will provide some shade in summer.

My other tasks today was to cut back the autumn raspberries and to sweep the patio of the last of the leaves from the ash tree. I decided to pile the leaves on top of the planters with the daffodils - with the relatively mild winter so far, it was no surprise to find the daffodils had already started to emerge and are about an inch high. While I had the sweeping brush and the ground was dry, I swept the steps down to the garden and cleared all the leaves from the weed suppressant membrane so it looks tidy again.

The weather forecast still says dry for the next few days but we might get gusty winds from the west and then north west. Fingers crossed it stays dry until next weekend as I'd really like to finish clearing the trimmings and carry on cutting the hedge and elders back. I was looking at the hazel and there are a couple of branches which need to be cut so that it will let more light into the garden particularly the polycarbonate greenhouse.

Meanwhile the garlic are growing very well - perhaps too well, they look a bit sappy growing in the greenhouses. I did wonder if the pots should be moved outside but maybe too late at this time of year now with the colder and windier weather about to start. All of the Early Purple Wight have sprouted now so I'm just waiting for the 5x Russian Red and 1x Albigensian Wight to appear (I suspect the last Albigensian won't as the others have been growing for several weeks now)

As for the pond, early this afternoon I noticed when the sun was shining it was reaching one end - this is the first time the sun has been high enough to reach the pond. And the fish are still eating - they are definitely waiting for their feed in a morning which surprises me. Last winter I never saw the fish for months on end so is probably an indication of the mild weather we've had despite the temperature drop last week, and fitting the PVC sheets and insulating the biofilter unit has been keeping the water temperature from falling too quickly.

Finally I have been looking at my collection of seeds - there are so many, it's difficult to choose what I'll be growing and also quantities (with the allotment, surplus were frozen but I won't have the space in the garden). Of course, some seeds probably won't germinate as they are getting a bit too old but there are still some that are either within or just past their use by date. It won't be long before the big sow starts so I should start looking at getting the veg beds prepared soon!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Sunday 20th January 2019

Some piccies of work done round the pergola over the Christmas / New Year break:

The gap where the buddleia tree was chopped down - the main branch now wedged against the fence panel I erected (I still need to lop some more of the hedge but I need to focus on some other tasks for the moment before spring arrives):

and using the hedge trimmings on top of the pergola:

Today's task was to get a roof on top of the polytunnel - I didn't want to cover the entire frame as I wanted to keep the sides open for good ventilation so I had bought a sheet of polythene 3m x 4m and used scaffold netting to anchor it down ... unfortunately the last of the green netting wasn't long enough so I had to finish off with blue scaffold netting. I wasn't happy about that but it doesn't look too bad:

Inside I cleared the leaf litter and moved into place the old cold frames and pieces of wood from the pergola that are too rotten to go back. The sides on the cold frames will need strengthening to cope with the weight of soil / compost so that is next on my list of things to do before spring:

Meanwhile in the garden, the daffodils and the bluebells are emerging (as are the weeds ......):

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Seed potatoes on the way ...

)c( last night I received an email to say the seed potatoes I ordered last year are finally on their way. Now I really have to get the "container/raised beds" in the recently covered polytunnel ready - I'm hoping to plant the potatoes a little earlier than I would if they were going on the allotment because (i) they will be under cover and (ii) my garden is more sheltered than the open allotment site.

If I have some growing space left over after planting the potatoes, I am planning on adding a few extra. Normally I would recommend certified seed potato but as these will be grown in container beds rather than open soil, I thought I might chance growing a few supermarket ones. I have saved 2 small "Rooster" potatoes which are a maincrop variety (when I've grown Rooster from a trial pack of 5 in the past, the yield has usually been excellent with very little slug damage. The last lot I grew did succumb to late blight but I saved the crop by cutting the haulms and leaving them in the ground) I'll keep an eye out for any other useful varieties when next doing my grocery shop.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Loved your photo's LL. The poly tunnel looks great. All that lovely room you have for planting, I am very envious. You really are a green fingered lady and so very knowledgeable on the gardening front. I love gardening, but it's really just trial and error for me and I tend to stick to the same things each year, i.e. runner beans and peas. I don't have enough room for potatoes but I suppose I could have a go in pots. I have got a question for you on the potato subject and I am sure you will think me really thick .... earlies, main crop and lates I am presuming are called that because of the time of year they are planted??? I have never been certain about this.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think Earlies mature quicker than the others, so time you crop them (though I usually put the Earlies in first as it takes a while to dig those trenches.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Cheshire Chick wrote:I have got a question for you on the potato subject .... earlies, main crop and lates I am presuming are called that because of the time of year they are planted???

Mo wrote:I think Earlies mature quicker than the others

Mo is correct:

First early means they are lifted up first (so if you had the time you could plant all your different types on the same day and just leave the later maturing ones to grow on until ready) - a classic first early found in the supermarkets are the Jersey Royals usually in April/May (they will have been planted earlier due to the mild growing conditions in Jersey - on the UK mainland you can expect to start lifting first earlies from a late March/early April planting from about mid-June to early July). Most first early potatoes have that "new potato" texture (waxy like a salad potato) and the skin is easily rubbed off. Although you could probably do it with other potato types, it is customary for gardeners too impatient to wait to gently feel the size of the tubers underground of first earlies and if satisfied, then start to harvest them (sometimes leaving the plant and remaining smaller tubers to grow bigger). Otherwise you can just let the plant start to die off naturally and harvest the potatoes then.

Second early or Early Maincrop usually follow the first early potatoes in July/August. Typical potatoes are the salad types like Charlotte but also general cooking potatoes (in the supermarket these tend to be lumped together as "white potatoes" but they will be different varieties if you look closely at the label. Kestrel are a baking potato type) My all time fave is Vivaldi which makes excellent baked potatoes but I love them boiled (such as in hash or stew) or mashed (they are supposed to taste so buttery you don't need butter and I think they have less carbohydrates than other similar varieties so are called "Slimmers Potatoes" .... but they taste even nicer with er, butter). Another favourite of mine for roasts or chips is Estima because they crisp up and have soft centres. I do like Charlotte as a salad potato but I have tried various ones and never really been disappointed with any (I liked Juliette for flavour, texture and good cooking qualities but most of all, very little pest damage (like slug) and the yield was amazing)

I normally leave my second early potato crop in the ground until the top growth has completely died back - then I end up with bigger sized potatoes and the skins harden so they can be stored and used over winter. However, they really need to be kept somewhere cool and dark otherwise they will start to sprout in late winter.

Maincrop are usually lifted from mid-late September and into October - these are good for storing and keeping over the winter like Rooster, Desiree, Maris Piper, King Edwards. The plants are allowed to naturally die back which is probably why they store well. When lifting any potato for storing (including the salad and early maincrop), they should be allowed to air dry above ground for a few hours so they won't go mouldy during storage.

There's also a "Late Maincrop" but basically they are just a maincrop type that may need need to be left in the ground a bit longer to mature. A typical late maincrop is Pink Fir Apple (a knobbly heritage type - supposedly one of the best for flavour, but peeling it is a real pain) I tried to grow it once but was disappointed with the results (the longer it is in the ground, the higher the risk of pest damage and I found them fiddly to clean as the dirt was trapped in creases)

And to add to the list, there's another section called "Blight Resistant" ... for the most part, they are usually a maincrop type as that is when late blight tends to strike so is a standby crop in case the worst should happen. There are a number of potato varieties but the more famous are the Sarpo type. Blue Danube is another. Once I grew 3 different well known blight resistant ones after a run of wet summers (Sarpo Mira, Sarpo Axona and Blue Danube) ... and that year turned out bordering on being a drought one. The yield across all 3 however, were amazing BUT, the cooking qualities (they turned to mush when boiled) and flavour (totally lacking even with salt added) was so appalling, it put me off ever growing them again. Some of the other so called "blight resistant" varieties aren't anywhere near as resistant as the Sarpos - they will succumb just as quickly as other varieties in a really bad year.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lancashire lass wrote:
The yield across all 3 however, were amazing BUT, the cooking qualities (they turned to mush when boiled) and flavour (totally lacking even with salt added) was so appalling, ….

I like Sharp's Express for flavour, they are sold as a First Early, but are not as early as Arran Pilot. If the Sharp's are left to grow bigger they also turn to soup if boiled but someone on here suggested steaming and I do that for most spuds now. Edwards (late) are similar, good flavour but fall to bits if boiled.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:I like Sharp's Express for flavour, they are sold as a First Early, but are not as early as Arran Pilot. If the Sharp's are left to grow bigger they also turn to soup if boiled but someone on here suggested steaming and I do that for most spuds now. Edwards (late) are similar, good flavour but fall to bits if boiled.

I've read that about steaming too - in the case of the blight resistant ones, their lack of flavour was the biggest downside for me.

I dropped growing first early potatoes because of a number of reasons but mainly for disappointing yields - some years they were good but more often the changeable spring weather had the biggest impact. Too cold (late frosts slowed growth) or too wet (encouraged slug damage) and I wasn't overwhelmed with the flavour - Lady Christl is supposedly the best but I've had better. Arran Pilot however, remains my favourite if I did grow them again (I've not grown Sharpes Express so cannot comment)

When it comes down to growing potatoes, I think soil type has the biggest impact - some people rave about varieties which I have not really been that impressed with. A classic is Jersey Royal sold in the supermarket which taste wonderful but when I've grown them (International Kidney - they can only be called Jersey Royal when grown in Jersey), I found them very bland.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks very much LL for that lovely detailed answer to my question - and thank you Mo. I have never had a clear understanding, but you have explained beautifully.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Sunday 27th January 2019

The weather this weekend has been a mixed bag - on Saturday it started off bright but cold and quickly turned to rain by mid morning (I went to do a big shop at 8.30 am and it was dry when I arrived home at 9.30 am but then I remembered I still needed chicken feed and after unpacking the groceries, I left a half hour later to find it was raining which didn't stop all day) On Sunday morning it was cold but dry and barely a breeze - after watching the weather forecast of high winds for the day, I decided it was probably a good idea to clean out the chicken coop sooner rather than later as I didn't fancy the loose bedding blowing about! I particularly wanted to check the nesting box because I was surprised to find an egg on Saturday and wondered if it was a one off - and there was another when I looked )t' The soiled bedding was scattered on to the fruit tree bed to build up the mulch.

I wanted to make a start on preparing the raised beds in the polytunnel and had even plugged in the charger for the battery for the cordless drill (variable speed which is handy for tightening the screws) so that I could fasten the wood together to make the long bed and strengthen the sides of the old cold frames using the lengths of metal from the (never built) greenhouse frame. It was while I was looking for the cordless jigsaw (uses the same 18V battery) to trim the ends of the old pergola timber that I found the pruning saw I had bought last year when I had decided to start the garden rescue (I hadn't really lost it as instead I had decided to use a rip saw to tackle the thick branches on the willow tree pushing the pergola over because they seemed too big for a pruning saw) Because the branches in the hedge made it difficult to use the bulky rip saw, I wondered ... well, I was truly impressed when it effortlessly cut through the 3-4 inch trunks of the elders.

Suffice to say I ended up tackling the bottom half of the hedge where the elders are instead of building the raised beds ... it made a lot of sense to keep trimming the hedge back while the weather was dry because come spring when the birds started to nest I would have to stop, whereas the raised bed job would be done under cover regardless of weather so could be done anytime. I only managed a short length of the privet hedge and to cut back 2 elders because I quickly found myself surrounded by trimmings too big to deal with (much like what happened over the Christmas/New Year when I cut the buddleia and privets down at the bottom end of the garden) The wind was also picking up though to be fair the garden was fairly protected from the worst of the gusts but it was biting cold all the same. At least the sun was shining brightly in a virtually cloudless sky and would have been a pleasant day but for the wind and cold.

After a couple of hours of cutting and moving the trimmings out of the way (they were heavy and awkward to lift, some easily over 12 feet in length and branched out) I made my way back to the house to warm up when I spied the 2 branches from one of the Bramley apple trees which hang low over the path - I had cut back one branch last year as it was damaging the greenhouse but it never produced new growth, and the other which I left ended up resting on top of the polytunnel frame when it was heavy with fruit. You have no idea how many times I have hit my head on the branches when ducking below them so with the pruning saw in hand I decided to cut them off. The shorter length was fine but the bigger branch was surprisingly heavier than it looked when it finally came down. I just laid it down on the ground to deal with later as my shoulders were now aching from all the sawing and lifting. I couldn't manage to do anymore after that and called it a day but I am pleased with the efforts to trim the hedge back albeit only a short length - after years of neglect, I can't expect to finish the job quickly. Meanwhile the wind had really picked up and was relentless for the rest of the day - unusually gale force strength for a north wind.

My seed potatoes arrived on Friday (I had them delivered to my work address) and I quickly opened the box to have a peek - at least there were some decent sized potatoes as I was worried after last year's drought that they would be small (meaning lots of potatoes for the weight sold and nowhere to plant them all) Plus I also want to plant a few other varieties from supermarket potatoes - I had already saved a couple of Rooster potatoes and on Saturday I bought some Charlotte and Jazzy (both well known salad potatoes) and also Marabel (these are only available in supermarkets and are not sold as seed potatoes for amateur growers. They are lovely as baked potatoes or as mash) so will save some of each to plant as well. So I now have a little collection of potatoes on the windowsills that are chitting away ready for the spring planting (WHEN I finally get the raised beds sorted lol)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done. You make me realise my age.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Sunday 3rd February 2019

Well my weekend plans to start sowing some seeds went out of the window - some were for just testing the viability as some of the seed are a few years old, but I was keen to start the sweetpeas, broad beans, summer cabbage (the cone shaped ones) and some calabrese off. The idea was to let them germinate indoors and move them to the (unheated) greenhouse. I remember many years ago when I shared the small allotment plot, my friend gave me some calabrese and summer cabbage plants he sowed in January to plant out in late spring and they were ready for harvesting by late June - usually I wait until mid March before sowing most seeds but they tend to be ready much later in the year along with other produce so I was curious.

What I ended up doing is carrying on trimming the hedge. Despite the sub zero temperatures, I had multiple layers on and thick gloves - I actually got very hot and sweaty and when I went indoors for a break (the house unheated at the time) it was like walking into a sauna LOL. Most of the work involved using the pruning saw to cut back one of the elders, a couple of branches off the hazel (so that more light would get into the garden especially the polycarbonate greenhouse) and some more privet, including the stumps above the trim line where the loppers couldn't cope. I would say that 90% of the hedge is now trimmed back (but there's always a little more I'd like to do as the tall branches on my neighbour's side curl over on my side }hairout{ - considering I have cut 3/4 the width of the hedge, the neighbour's hedge trimmings would be much less than mine if they could just cut the height on their side even if they decide to have it say 6 foot high (mine is about 4 and 1/2 feet high) rather than the current 20 feet!) Out of interest, the entire hedge belongs to my neighbour so is even more annoying when they don't deal with it.

As a result, I have ended up with a lot of long lengths easily 12-15 feet. Like last weekend, I felt the need to keeping cutting the hedge took priority of other jobs while it was dry and more importantly before the birds started to nest, so the bottom end of the garden is now just covered in a huge trimmings pile and access to the pergola is impossible. I had to clear some of it because I couldn't reach the elder that I abandoned last week when I found myself boxed in with trimmings so it is still manageable to sort out though the idea of hiring a skip to get rid of it would be so much easier. But no, I'm keeping to my promise to try and actively reduce my carbon footprint this year and use my garden more intelligently. The other reason is that financially I have more important things to pay for!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Hedge trim in piccies

I finally got round to uploading some piccies of the continued battle to rescue the garden, so here's how it looks now.

90% of the hedge length trimmed - the remaining tall part of the hedge is in my neighbour's garden:

Elders also trimmed right back (I think I should have moved my wheelbarrow out of the first LOL):

The uber privet and elder lengths piling up and totally blocking access to the pergola:

Some lengths of wood ready trimmed to put on top of the pergola roof:

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I cannot believe how much you have achieved this year already, LL. Well done you.

By the way not sure if you will remember but I planted peas in the greenhouse some time ago (do not ask why) and they are still going strong and starting to flower now, so have been helping them pollinate as you suggested. Not sure if they will survive for much longer but it will be interesting to find out.