LL's Gardening Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's Gardening Diary

Post by lancashire lass »

Cheshire Chick wrote:. I can't believe some of your seeds have germinated already. You really put me to shame.

Oh do be careful CC - this is not the annual big "spring" sow but just a few that I want to get an early start - the tomatoes, chillies and aubergines will be grown on in the greenhouse when it is warmer outdoors but they are also temperature sensitive so will need to be kept indoors until then especially when the temperatures drop (or even snow! Winter isn't over yet!) Chillies and aubergines can mature late - too often there are lots of green fruit at the end of the growing season so it's always best to start them off early so when spring arrives, they are already germinated with good roots and ready to take off and flower earlier. As for germinating quickly .... the seeds have been sandwiched between damp paper towel and put somewhere warm (like on top of the computer or in an airing cupboard kind of place) and as soon as they have sprouted, they are then planted in (warm) compost to germinate proper. That way I can see at a glance which seeds are growing instead of looking at a seed tray wondering which ones will germinate or not, and also not waste compost on duff seeds )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:That essential oils link gives several methods. Which are you planning to use? Are you going to set up a still in your kitchen?

The steam distillation method - it won't be exactly like the link but the concept will be similar and I may need to tweak it. I would like to see if I can set it up at home but I'm still working on how to do that (my kitchen isn't big enough for the appliances I have, never mind a still LOL)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There, and I was imagining an illicit distillery.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:There, and I was imagining an illicit distillery.

{warn} there is no fermentation involved so no alcohol is produced.

The best description for steam distillation for essential oil is like using a steamer (for food) where water boils in the bottom, steam rises through the food on the upper trays, water condenses on the lid and falls back down. Instead of letting the water drip back, the steam is allowed to pass along a tube where it drips into another container instead. This distillate contains both water and the volatile oils - as oil floats, you need a container (or flask) with a tap on the bottom - water is emptied out leaving the oil behind.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That's a very good tip about the seed germination LL. I know what you mean about using up compost on duff seeds as I have done this many times myself. Think I'll have a go at your method - thank you.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Progress + mild February 2019

Cheshire Chick wrote:That's a very good tip about the seed germination LL. I know what you mean about using up compost on duff seeds as I have done this many times myself. Think I'll have a go at your method - thank you.

)t' it has almost become my standard method of starting off most seeds now (known as "chitting" just like seed potatoes - getting seed ready to start growing) but it is particularly useful to start off parsnip seeds - they are notorious for losing viability very quickly (first year you might get say 90% germination rate, but the year after maybe only 40-60% and considerably less if any by the 3rd year) And they take so long to germinate too - if you sow direct in soil (they are a crop you really can't transplant seedlings otherwise it disturbs the main tap root and you end up with parsnips that are not long and slender), the soil temperature will hold them back as well, and it's a long wait until they appear along with all the weeds (and hungry slugs and snails) so you are never really sure by which time it is too late to sow another batch .... this way you only plant the germinated seed BUT it is critical to plant them right away (again, if the tiny root grows too big before planting, they can get knotted and don't grow properly thereafter) I suppose you could do the same with carrot seed but to be fair, I've never had a problem growing carrot. Do put the seeds in a warm place like an airing cupboard (or as I have done, on top of computer which doesn't get too hot) to speed up germination.

Most of the tomato and cabbage seedlings have now pushed up through the compost and growing nicely. The "mild" weather we've had so far seems set for another week - I think I will be moving things around in the garden to take advantage of it this weekend, putting all the garlic (and shallots though there's no sign of life yet) into the polycarbonate greenhouse and setting up the glass greenhouse so that I can move the seed trays in there. Nights are still cold especially for seedlings so I will have to bring them back indoors for protection.

Garlic - 4 out of 5 Russian Red have now sprouted so I'm feeling a bit of relief there. A quick peek this morning and all the different garlic do seem to look quite healthy and green. I gave them all a diluted seaweed feed last weekend when I watered them so it may just have been what they needed. I have been leaving the greenhouse doors wide open 24 hours now so that they (i) don't get too hot (ii) better ventilation - it doesn't matter if it gets cold at night though if the frosts start again and chance of snow, I'll reconsider. Although they have been grown in the greenhouse all winter, they will be moved outside when spring arrives proper - not only will it get too warm for them, but by then I'll be needing all the greenhouse space I can get for other things!

The new aubergine and chilli pepper seeds have just started to germinate so in a couple of days they will be sowed in compost. The old aubergine seed have still not germinated so I can conclude they are duff and will get rid of them. As for some of the other seeds I tested, amazingly some Brussel sprouts and other cabbage varieties are germinating but as suspected, not all the seed are viable. I think I will salvage those seedlings and grow on - a little earlier than normal which is about mid March but believe it or not is only about 3-4 weeks off! Quite scary to think of spring as being just round the corner and the new growing season begins - I'm still in the process of the garden rescue and getting the beds ready in time so I will have to get a move on! The sugar snaps have all germinated and started to grow a bit rampant under the damp paper towel - again, I think I'll plant them and grow them on in the polytunnel and hope for an early crop - but alas, the broad beans have not. No sign of the lavender but early days yet - still, just a hint of seed viability would be appreciated. The lavender I grew at the allotment were grown from seed that was 10 years past its expiry date (the foil was not opened until then just like this last lot) so I'm hopeful I won't be disappointed.

All being well the last of the hedge will be finished this weekend ....
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Sunday 24th February 2019

The weather continues to be extraordinarily warm for February though it started off very foggy on Saturday morning - it's been a long time since I have ever driven in dense fog and found it quite unnerving. By 10 am, the fog had cleared and by the time I'd got the shopping loaded into the car, temperatures inside were soaring. I felt overdressed in my winter coat and noticed so many people wandering around in t-shirts and shorts ... quite a bizarre scene for February. I noticed Asda had compost and tomato growbags for sale but these were in the outside store with no price tag - I didn't fancy lugging bags of compost into the main store to pay without knowing how much they cost first so I left them.

I finally sowed the aubergine and chilli sprouted seeds and checked on the tomatoes and cabbage seedlings which have all germinated. I was convinced the broad beans were not going to germinate so it was quite a nice surprise to find the seeds starting to sprout. Even the asparagus seed is looking promising but I'll wait until I see some definite signs of life before planting. I think the lesson here is to be a little patient ....

Early Sunday morning after I had fed the fish and chicken, and cleaned out the coop, I decided to do a little bit of gardening before breakfast. First I trimmed the bay tree from the other neighbour's side that grows against the Bramley apple tree - when I planted my trees back in 2003 it was only a small bush on the other side of the fence which has been allowed to grow tall and spread out which is annoying as both the bay tree and apple tree then compete for light. I could only trim as far as the loppers could reach but in an ideal world I would have liked to have cut the height but think that would be a step too far LOL.

Then down to the bottom of the garden to assess what was left to do - the bit of the hedge still to do was barred by last week's trimming so I made a start on clearing a path. It was cold so I was glad to go indoors after I had moved the trimmings to one side. I got caught up with some housework so it was not until 1.00pm by the time I got back outside - by now the sun was out and it felt more like May than February. I was soon stripping off the layers in the heat. Priority was to finish the hedge rather than deal with all the trimmings so I got stuck in - like last week, most of the trimming involved using the pruning saw on tree trunks than lopping branches and once again I was surrounded by very long lengths and heavy wood. I also trimmed an elder especially dead wood so it looks much neater. After a good couple of hours, the hedge trim was officially finished )c( )c( )c( All that is left are the elders - one right at the bottom of the garden needs some dead wood trimming off, the other which grows over the polycarbonate greenhouse but will not be too big a problem if I don't get them done in time. For now I'm just really pleased the hedge is now done and can tick it off my "garden rescue" list :-D

On the pond I had taken one of the panels off the top to have a proper look inside - with the warm sunshine, algae was starting to make an appearance. I should really tackle it now before it got out of hand but it was too late to set up the big pump, UV and filter box. Instead decided to transfer water from last week's bin fill into the pond. Then with secateurs, off to the front of the house to trim the fuschias and petunias in the pots - amazingly 2 petunias are still alive (I always thought they were "annuals" and died but perhaps the mild winter has kept them going) As for the fuschias, up until the freezing fog earlier in the month they had been lovely and bushy but now appeared dead. I'm just hoping the wood is still green and have trimmed off all the foliage. I started to trim the lavender and realized that a cluster of flower buds were forming and stopped.

Ever mindful of the weather, the forecast suggests another mild week especially early on but by weekend the temperatures will be falling with wind and rain by the weekend.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

And again, excellent descriptive, informative and so easy to read threads again recently LL )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

sandy wrote:And again, excellent descriptive, informative and so easy to read threads again recently LL )like(

Thanks sandy )t'

Not a lot to report really - since my last post, the weather has gone rapidly downhill and last weekend I went down with a cold that hit my chest but I'm alright now. Today - it is snowing this morning yike* and forecasts of strong winds and more rain/snow to come. The weather has certainly done a 180o turn back into winter after such a mild spell - annoying as many of the fruit trees are waking up especially the pear trees which are about to burst into blossom. If they flower now, not only will the cold and rain make the pollen useless, there are no bees around to pollinate so that will mean a lean harvest. Not to mention the birds and other wildlife have been fooled into thinking spring is around the corner and have either come out of hibernation or started to nest ....

On the seed sowing front, the cabbages and tomatoes are well up and starting their second leaves. Aubergines moved into compost are now germinating but something has gone wrong with the chillies - after chitting, they were moved into compost and then nothing. The lovely warm sunshine that warmed up the compost has been sadly lacking probably at a time they needed it so I have brought the seed tray down into the living room and left it warming on top of the fish tank light so fingers crossed they will be rescued otherwise I might have to sow more which is leaving it late. But there are signs of life coming up in the lavender tray - I was beginning to wonder if the seed was too old and wouldn't germinate but they are just starting to make an appearance now, phew.

With the return of winter, seed sowing has come to a halt - I see little point starting the warmth loving plants off too soon. As for the seed testing, only the sugar snap peas are worth sowing (I like to sow them direct rather than in pots and transplanting so will wait until the beds are ready first) so time to empty the old seed store. I thought the Pot Marigold & asparagus were germinating but they never amounted to anything so they have since been binned. All the potatoes are chitted and waiting to be planted now.

Update on the garlic and shallots - all 5 Russian Red garlic have now sprouted so apart from one Albigensian Wight, I should have a total of 34 garlic growing this year. As for the shallots, they have been a lot slower at growing than expected despite being in the greenhouse. There was one bulb that looked knocked over but as I was about to push it back, noticed some roots so I gently pushed some compost under the other side to straighten it up. Yesterday when I did a quick walkabout in the garden, I noticed some green pushing up on one of them so signs of life!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My pear buds suddenly look about to burst too. The conference pears were very skinny last year - I think they are partially self-fertile but fatten better if cross-pollinated. Was hoping for better this year.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think we've got to prepare ourselves for some disappointing gardening, with the weather being so variable these days and with the insect population apparently crashing. Global warming is definitely at play

You work so hard LL, it's always a pleasure to read your very informative diary )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Sweet Peas

Mo wrote:My pear buds suddenly look about to burst too. The conference pears were very skinny last year - I think they are partially self-fertile but fatten better if cross-pollinated. Was hoping for better this year.

I also seem to have a lean harvest last year and put it down to the erratic spring weather after the Beast from the East (it was cold for a long time, then when it did warm up, temperatures soared and then went cold again)

KarenE wrote:I think we've got to prepare ourselves for some disappointing gardening, with the weather being so variable these days and with the insect population apparently crashing. Global warming is definitely at play

You work so hard LL, it's always a pleasure to read your very informative diary )t'

thank you )t'

Insect population crash is not due to just global warming although it's not helping - the biggest problem is human activity (insecticide, loss of habitat, new farming methods and use of gardens (as in fewer flowers and more architectural/designer with more ground covered in decking/paving), introduction of competing species whether deliberately or accidentally among a whole list of other reasons) It's why I'm trying to make my garden a little more wildlife friendly although it probably was before I decided to "rescue" it .... with abandoning the garden for so long, it probably had its own ecosystem going on until I came along but I'm hoping time will remedy that so we can both share it. This year I'm trying to encourage the bees with some bee friendly flowers, and hopefully have the wildlife pond done (too late for spring but some time this year)

Talking of which, yesterday was Sweet Pea sowing day - I am so annoyed with myself about the sweet pea seeds. I bought them but left it too late to sow, then I lost them, then found them (wrong time of the year to sow), and after putting them where I knew I'd find them again, blow me - lost them again. Well, one more time and )c( found them. The big question is whether they will germinate - some seeds had an expiry date of 2016, the rest 2017. All seeds however were in sealed pouches so the ageing process is slowed (exposure to air, especially oxygen, will cause oxidation and ageing and seeds fail to grow. Vacuum sealed seeds last a lot longer than the expected expiry date)

There were 9 different varieties and 2 that were mixed (unfortunately I'm posting this from memory so can't remember all the names :oops: ) I know fragrance was high on my list when I bought the seeds but with so much to choose from I also got different colours:

Alan Titchmarsh
Beaujolais
Daily Mail
Heaven Scent
Matucana
Mrs Collier
Spence - Wiltshire Ripple
Janet Scott
Anniversary (I think ...)

Mixed pastel
Mixed scented

There weren't many seeds in the packets purchased from a Sweet Pea society so they were all sown, but the others were in packs of about 40 or 50. I ended up sowing 2 seeds per pot in trays with 15 modules for the larger packs (so 30 seeds per variety), and the others in single pots ... a total of 11 trays. At a rough guess, a total of over 300 seeds were sown. Hopefully some out of that lot will germinate .....
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely reading your gardening diary LL - as usual. I love sweet peas and may look out for some of the varieties that you mention. Last year I bought some from Morrisons yike* How lazy is that??!! Can't remember exactly what varieties they were, but they were really lovely plants and gave a wonderful display.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I've been shopping ...

.... for some flower seeds.

I was reading a random online garden blog and was wondering what a Cleome flower looked like, so after a google search came across a few images. Also known as "Cleome Spider Flower", it is apparently easy to grow (also readily self seeds once established ...), bee friendly and can be grown in partial shade. I thought it looked pretty.

I was also thinking about sowing some flower seeds for the hanging baskets and planters - I enjoyed having a splash of colour last year but had no intentions of paying for plants I could grow myself. I found myself shopping at Premier Seeds Direct - although I'll post links to the main site, if anyone was interested in purchasing seed from them, may I suggest you use their ebay shop as you benefit from the current 5 for the price of 4 and the p&p is cheaper too! My basket:

- Cleome
- Dahlia Dwarf Dandy
- Cosmos Dwarf mix
- Busy Lizzie Baby Series mix

and finally Flower Mix Shade (a mix of seeds including Larkspur, Corn Poppy, Shasta Daisy, Sweet William, Chinese Forget me Not, Candytuft, Coneflower Purple, Gypsophila, Snapdragon, Viola Helens Mount, Clarkia, Aquilegia Mckanas mix, Aquilegia dwarf, Myositis Forget me Not and Mimulus Monkey Flower) I have got the perfect spot to sow them - the old rose bed behind the Winter Jasmine. I'm not expecting all of these flower seeds in the small seed pack I had selected but I'm sure whatever grows will all look pretty and be inviting to the bees and other insects )t'
Last edited by lancashire lass on 15 Mar 2019, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Cheshire Chick wrote:Lovely reading your gardening diary LL - as usual. I love sweet peas and may look out for some of the varieties that you mention. Last year I bought some from Morrisons yike* How lazy is that??!! Can't remember exactly what varieties they were, but they were really lovely plants and gave a wonderful display.

The petunias, fuschias and lavender I had in the front planters were from ... Asda ... :oops: (the Busy Lizzies from B&Q) but I'm glad I got them especially the petunias - whenever I pulled my car into the drive after finishing work (especially during the heatwave when it was very busy moving the lab back after the refurbishment), just seeing the splash of colour by the front porch was so uplifting and welcoming.