Bills 2015 garden veggy diaries

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2015 garden veggy diaries

Post by billnorfolk »

Thomassio wrote:Going good Bill, I've been busy today too, funnily enough I also have started my toms today! )t'

Great minds )w(
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Bill, I have some rhubarb just peeping through .... I love making rhubarb and custard cake so I can't wait for it ... And lots of other things too! Xx
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Clucky Carol wrote:Hi Bill, I have some rhubarb just peeping through .... I love making rhubarb and custard cake so I can't wait for it ... And lots of other things too! Xx

Afternoon Carol ,certainly a lovely day hear ,yep i love my rhubarb and custard ,my dad always used to put horse manure on his straight off the road ,but i still prefer custard )w( .Get some muck round them and a bucket over the top and you will be pulling your first sticks in a few weeks )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thursday 12th March 2015

Tomatoes all through on windowsill ,Gardeners Delight, ahead of Moneymaker ,in about another week will sort into slightly bigger pots just one to a pot ,don't worry if they seem leggy as when you repot them set just below bottom leaves ,any stem underground will produce roots making stronger plants. )t' ImageImage

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ooh great tip there Bill, thanks for that! )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Are they the ones you planted on the 7th Bill?! Mine aren't even through yet.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

jemberelli wrote:Ooh great tip there Bill, thanks for that! )t'

The more stem in the ground the more roots produced ,wait until second lot of leaves on then bury to just below them will give you stronger plants (just mind how you handle them at this stage quite fragile )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thomassio wrote:Are they the ones you planted on the 7th Bill?! Mine aren't even through yet.

Yes they are ,i keep covered with a clear top until through on warm window sill then leave top off .

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm still undecided whether to grow tomatoes or not this year ... I might sow some soon just in case I change my mind LOL

billnorfolk wrote:
jemberelli wrote:Ooh great tip there Bill, thanks for that! )t'

The more stem in the ground the more roots produced ,wait until second lot of leaves on then bury to just below them will give you stronger plants (just mind how you handle them at this stage quite fragile )t'

You can do the same with chillies and peppers too BTW )t' Out of interest, sweetcorn can also be planted deeper than the original soil level and roots that develop after help to anchor the plant better.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

You can do the same with chillies and peppers too BTW )t' Out of interest, sweetcorn can also be planted deeper than the original soil level and roots that develop after help to anchor the plant better.

Thats interesting LL,though i usually set mine closer than recommended and so far they have held each other up ,but good to know as are tall and soon catch the wind..Not to many plants you can do that to as they would rot off at ground level ,but i know you love your chillies )t'

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Wow they are shooting up! )t'
Mine were planted the same day and are only just peeking through the soil. I wonder if the variety makes a difference or it's just conditions.
I will have mine under lights for a few weeks so hopefully will catch yours up!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thomassio wrote:Wow they are shooting up! )t'
Mine were planted the same day and are only just peeking through the soil. I wonder if the variety makes a difference or it's just conditions.
I will have mine under lights for a few weeks so hopefully will catch yours up!

Thats cheating {rofwl} ,the gardeners delight were a full day ahead of the moneymaker .What variety are you growing ,is your seed fresh ,and are they in a warm light place ,shouldn't really need any extra light .Surprising how fast they do grow once they get going.

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

It is a bit isn't it?! To be honest, I can't persuade my DW that every windowsill should be covered with pots at the moment so my one little light box is my best chance really! Also, I do like a head start!
I'm growing sweet aperitif and Roma and I might start one more variety too, maybe sung old although I haven't decided yet. Since last night they have pushed through and the seed leaves are open. I think they will start moving now!
Clucky Carol
Lively Laner

Post by Clucky Carol »

Hi Bill, thanks ..... I know what I'm going to do this afternoon now .... Lovely - hope a few of those early outdoor seeds come up, early veg is so lovely - have a great Sunday x
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thomassio wrote:It is a bit isn't it?! To be honest, I can't persuade my DW that every windowsill should be covered with pots at the moment so my one little light box is my best chance really! Also, I do like a head start!
I'm growing sweet aperitif and Roma and I might start one more variety too, maybe sung old although I haven't decided yet. Since last night they have pushed through and the seed leaves are open. I think they will start moving now!

What i tell my DW is that when she is eating all that fresh veg it will all be worth it )t' Was only joking about the light box ,this time of year you need to do all you can to get and keep things growing ,outside forces will soon put payed to plants so they need all the help we can give them .If you get lots of Tomatoes will give you Wendys recipe for chutney if you like it >veg5<