Karen's 2015 garden diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Karen's 2015 garden diary

Post by KarenE »

How do you keep hens & seed trays apart?

I've got staging and shelves I've rigged up in there Mo, so the chickens can't reach. Plus everything has a propagator lid on so they wouldn't be able to get their beaks in anyway

How do you plant your peas Karen?

Kitty, I plant them and my beans in 6 or 8 pot seed trays, with 2 seeds to a pot as they are big enough. I then let the 2 plants grow up together and then when ready I just plant them out as a pair around a support stick or cane if I am using one. I think you are supposed to sow peas and beans straight into the ground but I worry they'd rot with damp or the mice would get them. I think LL experimented with something to keep the mice away - petroleum dips?? I can't remember exactly. I need to sow a load more, the peas I've been sowing don't seem very prolific unlike the beans!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

KarenE wrote:I think you are supposed to sow peas and beans straight into the ground but I worry they'd rot with damp or the mice would get them. I think LL experimented with something to keep the mice away - petroleum dips??

I found that when I sowed peas in pots, the roots were already established and curled into a ball by the time they were ready to be planted out - when we had dry weather, the roots sapped all the water in their planting hole and died sooner than they should have despite trying to rescue them with lots of water. Thereafter I sowed them direct in the soil - using the method recommended by the RHS when I volunteered to grow sugar snaps in one of their trials. We had to sow the seeds by the 3rd week in April so the ground was warmed up and involved digging rows in well fertilised soil made of shallow trenches about 3 inches wide and about an inch or two deep, then sowing the seeds in a zig zag pattern 2 inches apart, then covered with compost and soil on top before watering well. I then immediately put canes along the row and hung pea & bean netting (have big square shape rather than diamond shape netting - I think I bought them from Asda for about a £1 per net and are reusable so good value) I was fortunate not to be plagued by mice (we had a number of cats and even a resident fox for a while so perhaps they kept the mice numbers down - the fox however, was destructive and dug up any plants where I'd put chicken manure down so I was glad when he left) So I have never used seed treatment to stop mice eating them but I think the recommended suggestion is soaking the seeds in paraffin oil.

KarenE wrote:I need to sow a load more, the peas I've been sowing don't seem very prolific unlike the beans!

Peas are not as prolific as beans so yes, sowing hundreds of seeds is ideal (that's why they are normally sold in big packets unlike other seeds) but stagger sowing batches every 2 weeks until about mid-late June (later ones might succumb to mould before they are ready, and of course there is the dreaded pea moth) What I found is that later sowings often caught up with the earlier ones as the sun strength and longer daylight hours increased.

After the RHS trial, I have to admit I much preferred growing sugar snaps- not having to spend endless hours taking peas out of pods, and not having to worry about pea moth grubs in the peas. They were incredibly sweet and crunchy and also easy to freeze batches and whether it's my imagination but yields seemed bigger. Harvest regularly and the plants will quickly throw up a second crop. With the second crop, try to leave some to grow on and harvest for seeds the following year - these have done well in your particularly area and conditions so will pass on the genes.

I also sowed the beans direct too (dwarf & climbing beans) but late April/May (runners need much warmer soil to germinate and are not hardy in a late frost so watch the weather forecast (try to sow when you see good warm weather forecast as they will germinate quickly and less likely to rot in the soil), and be prepared to protect the tender growth) - for runners, I used tall canes on a frame (braced - the broad leaves acted like a sail in strong wind and often knocked the frame over) and sowed about 3-5 seeds round each cane. For both climbing & dwarf French beans I used the pea trench method but only used canes and netting across for the climbers. All direct sown pea and bean seedlings are vulnerable to slug and snails - nothing worse than seeing seedlings cropped down to the ground, so use whatever slug/snail prevention necessary. Once plants are well established, slug / snail damage is rare (except if we have a particularly wet spring / summer)

This week, I've begun sowing in the greenhouse (still the chickens official winter residence) after a good clean out last weekend. So far I've sown:

Sweetcorn; green, yellow and purple beans; garden peas;
Broccoli, kale, cauliflower and spring cabbages
Pumpkins and butternut squashes
Tumbling toms and roma tomatoes; yellow peppers; aubergines
Basil and oregano

May I suggest you take the brassicas out of the greenhouse immediately they have germinated and perhaps put in a cold frame at night - they can grow leggy very quickly in warm conditions and are "cool" weather crops. As for everything else except the beans, peas and tomatoes, a greenhouse is still too cold at night so they would probably be better indoors (in the house) unless you have heating in the greenhouse to keep temperatures up? Basil is particularly sensitive to cold.

Sorry, I seemed to have hogged your diary, but I did just want to wish you all the best for the growing season )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I used to be able to grow peas. Planted into the ground with holly leaves in the trench to deter mice. Now they germinate then something pulls them up and eats the seed, leaving the shoot. So I've given up.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I don't grow peas anymore (too long winded to process!) but when I did I used to put 4 seeds into a 3" pot & plant out when they were established. I also do this with Runners,French & Borlotti beans as we have many voles on the lotty & not enough predators for them!! Sorry for hijacking your diary Karen!!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Went to the allotment for the first time this week. Quite p***d off as my water butt - which is 60L and was full to the brim - had been pushed over and all the water gone. I assume the winds hadn't been strong enough to do that and it was all fine when hubby was there fixing my box lid about an month ago, and we haven't had any big storms really since then. Suspicious. More so, as the box lid, which he'd put big hinges on to stop it blowing off (as it only attached with little plastic nubs that were already breaking off) was wide open and although nothing seemed to be missing, it was soaking wet inside. I do have a padlock on there but only to stop it blowing open, not really to secure it (nothing worth nicking in there tbh) Must ask around to see if there's been any trouble

As I thought, the plot was pretty overgrown with weeds and I did a bit while I was there but the ground was so wet it was hard to do. Should be easier after all this sun we've had, so I'll go up there tomorrow evening & the weekend and see how much I can get cleared.

I did pick some cabbage and kale to bring back with me for us & the chicks, and they can have the rest too - everything looked like it had been nibbled anyway.

Back in the greenhouse, I had a bit of a disaster this week as the hot weather killed off quite a few of my seedlings just as they were coming up - I was away and didn't think it would be quite this hot, and forgot to ask hubby to water them. So I lost all my brassicas which were just coming up, and my dahlias and some sunflowers, a couple of cucumbers , basil and a few other odd seedlings. Hopefully not a disaster as I've just replanted and also sown some lettuce and pak choy so this year I'm doing:

In the garden:
- tumbling tom and roma tomatoes
- little gem and mixed leaf lettuce
- a variety of cucumbers
- aubergines and sweet peppers

The gooseberries and raspberries are starting to spring into life, the rhubarb's well up and the mini pear is sprouting. Apples still pretty dormant so far, and the leeks from last year looking good.

At the lotty:
- sprouts, broccoli, caulis, kale and cabbages (hopefully)
- celery, leeks
- pumpkins and butternut squash
- sweetcorn
- garden peas, french green and yellow beans and purple beans (probably grow a few at home too)

The gooseberries at the lotty are already flowering, and the raspberries and blackcurrent plants are leafing too. There's lots of strawberry plants up there so I hope I get a crop this year.

Nettles everywhere so I'm going to have to sort those out.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

That is so annoying for you Karen, I know exactly how you feel because as I have mentioned on my diary previously we get break-ins with nothing taken, its usually kids. The water butt wouldn't have blown over unless there had been a hurricane & I think you would have noticed!! Do you have mains water (can't remember) to refill it?
It's a big catch up time for us all now. Good luck!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

No that's what's so annoying WM, there's no water on the plot so it was filled ladt year by me carefully carrying water up there. So annoying

Went back at the weekend and the butt was on the floor again. I'm expecting the same again when I go back. Also it's a 200l one, not 60l so that makes it even worse!

Did a bit of weeding up there this week, the soil was just right.

The hot weather last week ruined my seeds though, as I was away with work & forgot to ask hubby to water (he was at work anyway) and I lost the sunflowers, dahlias and all the brassicas, a couple of cucs and some squash {cry}
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I have been hard at work at the lofty the past week or so and a few weekends before, and just have a bit more weeding to do. Should be cleared this week, if it stops raining. Well, the bulk done and the vine thingy will get squirted with weed killer to try & kill it off, as it's impossible to get all the roots up and I won't be able to dig it out once I've planted up.

It's been ever such hard work, I've had to dig out huge clumps of couch grass, but after the rain last week the soil's been easier to work with. The plots looking good now, esp as I've just strimmed the paths.

Gooseberries are fruiting nicely and the strawberries gave loads of fruit on them so I am in a race against time to get the net on, which I'll extend over my brassicas.

I have lots to be planted up - butternut squash & pumpkins, sweet corn, beans and peas, kale, sprouts, broccoli, cabbages and caulks. Also an onion set being sold off cheap, worth a plant even if they stay small. And leeks

At home I've got cherry toms and Roma, and a heritage Italian tomato I bought, and salad crops (loose leaf, lollo rosso, rocket, lambs lettuce), pak choi and spring onions.

I also have quite a lot of flowers too which I'll plant at the lotty & around the garden - dahlia, zinnia, sunflowers, asters and I can't remember what else.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well the lotty is looking good at the moment, although I do have to keep on top of the weeds. This recent dry weather has helped as I squirted the vines with weed killer and that's finished off a lot of it. I'll keep spot treating as it comes up.

I extended my fruit cage and now that has my brocolli, sprouts, cauli and cabbages in it. I still need to plant out my kale - I am very late as it took me ages to clear the weeds and then the clay soil has turned to iron in this heat and I'm really struggling to even get a fork or spade in.

But I managed to plant out my pumpkins, butternut squashes, beans and sweetcorn and even plopped an onion set down - not expecting anyhting to come of those, especially now we're in for this heatwave. We have no water at the lotty so it's all got to be carried up and quite frankly watering onions properly is just a luxury at the moment.

The fruit is doing great - the strawberry patch has been amazing and other allotmenteers have strawbery envy! I've got so much fruit and yet more runners, I'm going to be giivng some to others who've asked for them. The netting hasn't been keeping the baby blackbirds outt hough - little beggars! - and a couple of the other allotment hoilders have been evacuating them, which is very kind of them - I've given them some berries and promiosed them some of the runners in exchange.

Did some experimenting on my water butt last night which you may remember I found rolling around my plot empty a month or so back, which was odd as it had been full with 200l of water. Not something that just falls over. Anyway, no leaks and the tap was turned off, so it does look like it was deliberately upended }hairout{ Got to fix it in place today and then start getting that filled up with water again. 200 litres }hairout{

At home, I've got all my tomatoes planted out - cherry toms in hanging baskets, plus a couple of roma, a moneymaker and an italian heritage variety that I picked up from a local garden centre. Supposed to be an ancient strain with very good fruit so it'll be interesting to see what that is like. Only problem is, I can't remember which one it is!

Loads of cucumber plants this year, so some are planted in the greenhouse and some are in pots. A couple of aubergines, planted in the greenhouse, and a tray of spring onions. Pak choi and lollo rosso planted out, as well as another spare pumpkin. Loads of loose leaf lettuce scattered around pots, including rocket and lambs lettuce.

No luck whatever with the little gem or iceberg seeds, and they are new this year. Very disappointing.

If I can manage to dig up the allotment, I might plant out fresh pea seeds and I'm going to put some flowers up there too - I have sunflowers, zinnias and dahlias that will only get chickened if I plant them at home >ch<
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I didn't have the chance to plant anything else out up at the allotment, due to the ground turning to iron - I can't even get a spade into it. I am just praying for rain (overnight of course, I still want the glorious sunny days!) as everything is stunted. I water regularly but it needs a good drenching.

I bought myself a couple of sturdy 10l water carriers and have been using them to fill the water butt up, much better than the leaky camping water carriers I was using.

At least the weather means that the weeds aren't running rampant, except for the bindweed which is fairly indestructible (even stump killer isn't killing it) - the few that have come up I can't dig up anyway! I just know that when the rain does come, they will explode!

Great gooseberry crop, both green at the lotty and red at home. The raspberries at the lotty were poor - tiny berries - and I had a decent crop of blackcurrants. Strawberries are all finished and in fact are looking worse for wear. I have bought a tayberry and another blueberry for the lotty.

The french beans are also looking poor - I wish I had planted some in the garden too, I usually do but decided not to this year. Celery is struggling and the squashes - which need a lot of water - are doing okay but not growing much. Same goes for the sweetcorn

I was furious the other week when some other allotmenteers told me that a few years back, the owners of the land had approached some of the older (as in age) allotment holders about whether they wanted water on the plot. They had been told no, because they didn't want to spend the extra money. Fine for them, they're up there every soddin day with nothing else to do! Plus can you believe it they pay 1/2 rates as pensioners so that'll be around £2.50-£10 depending on the size of their plot, and the water was around another £5. I went past the Kettering allotments yesterday and they were looking lush, not like our half starved plots.

If the weather carries on like this, next year I shall have to investigate mediterranean and sub-saharan crops!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's been pouring down here yesterday and this morning the ground is still wet so I am hoping the lotty has had a good soaking. Might go up later and see if the ground is diggable.

Had a decent crop of gooseberries (both green and red) and infact still to harvest most of the red ones. Must get to that

The french beans arent doing terribly well although they have given a decent amount of beans, but I planted up some more and they are sprouting! So I might plant them out and see how the plants do at home, where its easier to water.

There's a couploe of butternuts and pumpkins forming on the plants, which is good news and the sweetcorn has cobs on it - I'm not expecting either of these to form big because of the lack of rtain, although if the heatwave has broken we may get back to normal weather which will help.

I have tons of tomatoes forming (roma and moneymaker as well as 3 old heritage varieties I bought in the sale for 50p each) - I'll keep the seeds from the heritage varieties for next year. And the cucumbers have gone mad in the greenhouse! I have quite a few fruits already which is great as I am eating quite a lot in this weather, plus the girls enjoy it too as a cooling treat.

So not a bad year, given the weather. Looking forward to seeing what shape the lotty is in after the storms yesterday
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well it's harvest time and a good time to review the year on the plot and in the garden.

The fruit has been patchy - we had a good crop of green and red gooseberries, the rhubarb did well too and I have a few jars of rhubarb and ginger jam stashed away now which was lovely when I tasted it before botttling it. Our apples are smaller than usual but very prolific, although the cox eating apples were very disappointing (just 2 tiny apples) and the pear nothing. The strawberries were great, and I need to get in and sort out the patch. Plenty of runners again for next year, it's quite taken over my fruit cage! The raspberries have sprung back to life and are fruiting a bit, surprising as they are summer and not autumn but the berries are still small.

As usual, the blueberries were chickened, and I must move them up to the plot next year to stand any chance of getting some berries off them.

In the greenhouse, the tomatoes have done really well and planting the cucumbers in the ground rather than in pots has been really sucessful. I've had loads of massive cucs, got a fridge full still and have picked a few for my brother. I'll know next year to pick them sooner, and definitely will plant in the ground again. Loads of tomatoes outside too, although I fear they may not turn red now although it looks like some are just starting. It's been a bumper crop of toms this year and although the heritage ones have been disappointing I'm going to keep some seed and see how they do next year.

The aubergines were rubbish - the plants were sturdy enough with lots of flowers but no fruit at all.

The sweetcorn wasn't great - most of the cobs half formed and sadly I picked them too late (away on 2 weeks holiday) so they'd already started going mouldy. They're all for the chickens, and hope next year is better.

I have 2 MASSIVE pumpkins, really ginormous. And I have about 7 huge butternut squash, 3 already ripe and picked. I do well with squashes on the lotty.

The brassicas have been less successful, I think the weather really affected them. They're really just springing to life now, I'm hoping it's not too late for the sprouts to get something for Christmas.

The leeks, onions and celery are springing up too, probably too late but I'll see how they do

The lotty is looking pretty good, I gave it a good weeding a couple of weeks ago and it's not too bad. Even the vine seems less, maybe because I've been squirting it with weedkiller all year. Justr got to make sure I get the weed proof fabric down in time this year, try and save me a load of work in the spring!

So all in all, not bad really considering the extremes of weather we had this year )t'
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes and I got a load of victoria plums from our neighbours, and someone has given me a pile of massive courgette marrow things for the chickens (I've been eating them as well!) Made some lvoely vegetable soup with the courgettes and tomatoes.

I forgot to say not a bad crop from the french beans as well, all in all )t'
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The gardens all finished - we had loads of cooking apples and they aren't storing well as we didn't put the nets up and so are bruised. Don't mind though! The autumn raspberries in the garden did very well, but I have to sort out the bed now as it's a mess, and dig out the old spent canes as they have done very little.

I checked the lotty last week, it's full of weeds (didn't get the weed fabric down again) but it looks like surface weeds so hopefully not a massive job to dig out. The brocolli is still going strong as is the celery and leeks, cabbage and kale. But how disappointing! Not a sprout stalk in sight! I'll have to buy them from the Aldi again - one day I WILL have my own sprouts for Christmas dinner!

I saved the seeds for my heritage tomatoes - St Pierre which is an old Italian variety, very unusual (nice) taste, Bloody Butcher an old German one and Christmas Grapes, a cherry variety. They were underwhelming but hopefully will do better next year.

I've also got a mini pumpkin and a mini white pumpkin to save seeds from, plus still got 2 huge butternuts and 1 ginormous pumpkin (we didn't do Halloween carving this year) in the greenhouse to eat over winter. I'll save the pumpkin seeds too, as they were so huge.

The tomatoes did do well in the end, I gave a freezer full of Passata and I made loads of lovely tomato & veg soup too. So all in all, a pretty good year considering the draught. I shall have a few months off to do tidying and weeding, then come march (maybe even Feb) we go again! I love it )like(
Karen
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Nice end of year summary Karen. Looking forward to 2019 now :-)
Michael