busy day gathering injured wildlife

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I've had one of "those" days.
Went ot get hair cut at 7.30 am, on way home found a Moor hen in the road, thats on the dinning room table in a cat carrier, doing ok, it was severly shocked, that winds me up, people who hit stuff in their car & drive off :?
Been for a walk up the woods, on the way back, found a baby hedgehog, only 200 grams, you can't release them under 400 grams, so that's in another cat carrier on the dinning room table stuffing it's little face, that will never get through hibernation at that weight :shock: so it' ll have to go to my pal who saves a few hedge pigs.
I daren't go out again, I haven't got many more cat carriers :shock:
Last edited by melons on 03 Nov 2007, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

you're doing well today.
How are they getting on ?.
Good Luck
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I'm not so convinced about the moor hens chance of surviving, but the hedgehog is fine, though very small, it must have been a late litter.
Cheers
mel x
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Lol! Well done Mel. Do you think they saw you coming?
Hope that both survive the night.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Darran said it's fate, not that he's a hippy, but he said 2 minutes either side of either trip & both would probably not have made it, I'll have to pick off some fly eggs the hedgehog in the morning, but he'll be fine I'm sure, the Mooor hen would have been better killed out right probably, I'll take it to work Monday & see what the boys think .
We always end up with something, is it just us who finds stuff? or does every one else just keep walking? I don't know :? :?
I found another Moor hen a few years back, in exactly the same place as todays in fact, took it home, put it in the bathroom, as it was under renovation at the time, shouted up stairs to Darran, "there's a moor hen in the bathroom, can you deal with it"
he had just finished a 12 hour night shift & had gone to bed, didn't hear me right & was woken up a few minutes later, by a fully recovered moor hen doing the wall of death round the walls, while emptying it's bowels all round the bathroom.
I've never been allowed to forget that somehow :?
Hey ho :-D
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Heeh hee it keeps life interesting doesn't it!!
The moorhen in your bathroom reminded me of a pic posted by one of the wildlife carers i worked with:

melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I've given this little thing a swim in the bath, it just sat there floating about, I tried to release it this morning, but it waddled a bout two steps & sat dowm, I think this one is history :cry:
Hedgehog stinks & is in it's box in the garden, that'll be fine I'm sure.
Cheers
mel x
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

my old nickname was dr doolittle because of all the waifs and strays who ended up in my care.Lambs, hedgepigs, birds mice shrews etc. not all survived but you have to try (f+
Looove chucks!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

can you get help from a vet with the moorhen, or don't they usually deal with wildlife in your neck of the woods?
Over here they will always help, but whether or not they charge you for it is I think variable.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

They both gone off to ST Tiggywinkles wildlife sanctuary in Herts, the RSPCA called about an hour ago to take them there, it's miles from me, we used to have a brilliant wild life sancturay near us, but it recently closed, it's left a lot of us in a pickle with where to take things now.
She said she will ring me later to confirm this is where she was going to take them, she was very sweet, it's the first time they've ever taken anything, probably because I had x2 things, who knows, they are usually quite reluctant. I gave them a little donation, so everyones a winner hopefully.
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi melons

That sounds like a very good outcome, by the way did the RSPCA person say anything about you not going out for a couple of weeks!!!?
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Oh there'll be something in need of a cat carrier, you mark my words, when I'm driving I'm always on the look out for things.
I hope the moor hen makes it, it was very sweet but not quite right.
Cheers
mel x