Varifocals

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Varifocals

Post by Julia »

I've just got my first pair of varifocals and was dreading it because I have had so many horror stories.

But they are fine and I can see too, which is always a plus with glasses
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

definate plus being able to see!!

Glad you are happy with them (f+
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm going to pick up my third pair of varifocals tomorrow. When I first had them the optician said dont drive in them untill you are used to walking about in them, I drove home in them, no problems. Yes, they are great.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I used to have them when on the Railway (didn't have to pay for them!!). But we were only allowed a small choice and they weren't all that good to be honest.
But I know a few people who use them and are very happy. Just got to watch the car driving a bit for a while.

Good luck with them !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Varifocals

Post by kate egg »

I paid about £200 over a year ago for varifocals, and have barely worn them! I just cannot get used to them at all. I have very unusual vision- short sighted in my left eye and long sighted in my right eye :shock: (my eyes compensate for each other without me even knowing) I can see close up better and long distance better without glasses and now its so long since I have worn them I am pretty good at middle distance too. I put them on the other day and couldn't see out of them clearly at all. An exepnsive ornament but at least now I am used to not wearing glasses I won't make that mistake again )t'
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Invented by a chap called Proffessor Sasiene who for NASA, for use by the astronauts.

We've never met or contacted him, but he is my wifes much removed cousin.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

My Hubby wears varifocals and loves them. His first pair were perfect and he took to them straight away-he was tested by the owner and most experienced optician-who does a great job, is really carefull and takes his time to get the measurements just right. My Hubby also has great variations in his eyes and the short, middle, distant views.
His most recent pair were a different story! So be aware!
He was measured by someone else and she got the measurements slightly wrong, he tried them on in the shop and just could not see clearly enough. They said it was just the adjustment to his prescription and to take them away and he's soon get used to them!!! But he refused (very nicely) and asked them to check the lenses. They did-they were fine. So he said he was not happy to take them. The owner called him in for a full test and found the error. So in short- they should be perfect and if they are not its probably not you! It only takes a slight mis-measurement and they wont be right!
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Had mine three weeks now. Sometimes they are great but if moving about they can be confusing. Can now cope riding the bike but stepladders are a no-no yike* .
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had varifocal type contact lenses a couple of years ago and once I got used to them they were absolutely fantastic.

Sadly I had a few eye problems so stopped wearing them. Actually would have had to have stopped anyway by now because of the cost. So am now back, glasses on head which were £2.99.

I miss them most when I am shopping as I can't see the stuff on the shelves with them on, and can't see any detail if I pick the items up without them! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

I have worn varifocals for a few years now. It is essential to have an expert doing the test and even more essential having an expert doing the measuring and fitting. There are several grades/qualities of lens and it is worth paying for the best, particularly for driving. Looking through the edge of the lens when looking to the side or rear is particularly bad with the cheaper lenses. Insist on getting them right while you are in the shop. Errors are obvious and you will know. Always ask to see the manager if you are not satisfied. They do make you tired at first particularly in environments where you are constantly refocusing like supermarkets. A word of warning! When going down unfamiliar stairs or steps you must bend your hed well to look down at your feet or everything will be out of focus which is dangerous. This is one of the few situations where I think they are not good. Don't ask me how I know! It takes me a couple of weeks to get used to a new prescription. I certainly prefer a rimless style since using varifocals. I am quite short sighted and do a lot of close work making models. No glasses and a strong desk light are best for very fine work. Overall I think they are good and worth the extra money and effort. One tip always use a proper cleaning spray and cleaning cloth... the lenses will be more comfortable and last longer.
The first egg is the best and the most expensive!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It also is important to get frames that fit your nose. I couldn't wear one pair for long as they rubbed, so when, (after adding to my collection of different glasses for different distances at each eye test), the fitter suggested varifocals I was against it as I take them off most of the time. But she found a pair of frames that fitted (why didn't they do that the first time???) and after I got used to them I'm happy with them. But still don't wear them all the time, which has led to problems with the frame breaking from all the taking on and off.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have a pair.
I need glasses for distance, so wear them to drive.
I sew a lot and I felt I would strain my eyes, so got a pair for close work. But then when I took them off I couldn't see the TV, I suppose because I was used to the close glasses. So go a pair of varifocals, I now can just glance up from my sewing. Took a day or so, but now they are great
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I'm still managing to read stuff at arms length, but soon my arm wont be long enough. I just cant get used to taking a pair of reading glasses out with me, though if I do wear them it's amazing how clear the writing is :shock:
I'm just lazy I suppose (f+
Looove chucks!
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Etiquette seems to vary between fora so I hope it's OK to post on a really old thread... or should I have started a new one?

I've reached that point where I have to take off my glasses for close work/reading and my optician has suggested I might like to try varifocals. It seems like a good idea in theory but after chatting to a nice assistant about how they worked he showed me some images illustrating how you can't see though the sides of the lenses because they're all fuzzy. My first reaction was that that would feel really claustrophobic and it's putting me off trying them. I had the test last week and am still dithering.

I wondered if anyone had experienced that problem at first and how long it took to get used to it - or indeed if anyone didn't manage to get used to it and had to swap back to single lenses.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello Annie. I have been wearing varifocals for years, as I stated above. I'm a bit confused about why you should want to look out of the sides of your glasses for any length of time. Yes, you could keep your head still and swivel your eyes sideways and up and down, but that would make your eyeballs ache. To rectify that you can move your head in the direction of what you are looking at.

I have just tried looking out of the side, yes it's maybe not quite as sharp as looking through the middle, but it's a natural instinct to move your head into a comfortable position so you can see clearly. I have never heard of varifocals causing anyone to feel claustrophobic, unless perhaps they were already that way inclined.

Bye the way, I take off my glasses for close work, sewing and reading, even with varifocals, because I like to get up very close to what I am doing. But for everyday activities around the home, out and about, varifocals are fine.

How qualified is the 'very nice assistant', is he just quoting what he learnt in his training, or does he genuinely understand all the for's and against's. Perhaps get a second opinion from a different optician. You aren't tied to just one, you can go anywhere. Good luck.
Ilona