Looking younger

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Looking younger

Post by Richard »

I wrote an article in the Blog back in February and two weeks off having my teeth done and having a haircut today, I remembered it. It's tongue in cheek, but serious undertones.

CLICK HERE

Maybe a good subject for discussion I thought.

How much do we think about, care about it etc. Is it vanity, do we want to grow old gracefully.

Personally, I like a person who looks an attractive 60 year old, but looks 60 etc.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, I don't care much, I think people who know me can take me as I am.
But when it came to a choice about spending on a root filling of a back tooth, or having it out I thought, 'maybe I won't get so many Calling bookings if I look like a sunken cheeked old woman who's forgotten to put her teeth in'. So I had it done.

When OH retired he stopped shaving, and when the facial hair needs cutting it ages him, especially now it's grey. So much so that when he was caring for his mother and I hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks I wondered who the old man was, sitting by the window.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh Dear
I am on the side of a bit of healthy vanity LOL
I don't care who knows how old I am, I am proud to have reached this age and still be healthy. But I do like to look as good as I can.
I would never go down the road of plastic surgery, but I do try to eat healthy, shove creams on my face etc, and keep fit.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

I like to think that people who know me, look past the old face, fat bod and hair scrapped back. However, I have lost weight recently and with that I have had a haircut and have had so many reports on how good I am looking, it made me think how bad I must have been looking before. So now even though I think it is better to be good on the inside than out, I think the outside also needs some looking after.

Lo
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

As long as I'm alive & healthy that's all I ask, I've lost two brother inlaws at 45, leaving young kids behind, that makes you shift your priorities a tad.
I used to drink an outrageous amount of alcohol in my teens / early 20's, I still enjoy wine, but not like I used to. I've been on way too many sunny hol's, & skiing in the winter doesn't help, but every nook a cranny has tale to tell. I do try & do what I can with what I have, my BIGGEST paranoia is getting fat, that is one thing I really don't think I would find so funny :? so I run a bit, do a keep fit class & generally stay active.
I look at my face & wonder whats happened to it sometimes, I'm looking more & more like my dad, does that mean I'm turning into a man? )j; )j;
Cheers
mel x
Richard

Post by Richard »

My gosh, there's some interesting replies!

No harm in vanity atall and I strongly feel that what people do with their money is up to them
Also, what a strong value general smartness, tidiness and looking clean are. It doesn't matter what age the face says if you are a decent nice person who looks after themselves.

I left the colour of my new teeth to the Dentist and his Assistant, just saying I want to look a reasonable 'almost 60' and NOT "Look at that 60 year old trying to look 35".

But a bit of vanity crept in for having a hair cut today. I know if I have my head shaven Number 3, it only looks decent after about two weeks - and it's two weeks and two days to 'The Day'.

Really like the views. Richard

Melons - that's a terriblt thing to bare - take care
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Looking younger

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy

I too feel great that I have reached 63 - I expected to go years ago.
I am not overweight and eat very well, haven't reverted to colouring my hair as it goes with my skin colour. I use make-up when I am going anywhere but not daily.

Melons

I didn't drink in my teens and twenties (used to send me to sleep!) - I had my teenage years from the age of thirty - drinking and going out until very early hours. Life began at forty and that was really something.

Richard - not too long now for the beautiful smile!!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Anna, I hope it begins at 40, I could do with a bit of living it up.
Having said all that, me & my sister are having a full on girlie night out on saturday night in Cambridge, so I doubt I'll see sunday, so that will be full hair & face & dreadful behaviour )t'
Cheers
mel x
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Hmm I read the article Richard wrote and two things strike me:

1. Can't believe we don't have that tv show or a rip-off of it (i thought we either screened or copied every reality type tv show here!)
2. How scary it is that most people on it are 30-45! It seems a bit young to be needing surgery etc to look younger :shock:

Personally I can't imagine ever voluntarily doing something that involves reasonable amounts of pain or is as scary as surgery unless I HAD to! (ie life saving opertion) So I can't really imagine getting a face lift or whatever - but check back in 20 years :oops:

I certainly have nothing against people doing whatever they like to look younger, but I do get pretty cynical about the amount of money being made off making us feel bad about getting older!!! There's always a product to fix you )de:

I reckon there's still a lot to be said for the healthy lifestyle option - there's SUCH a difference in people who are older and very active physically and those who basically say ok I'll retire and sit in the chair all day and relax.....
I think you not only look better (muscle tone, blood circulation etc) but you move more like a young person if you are fitter and healther.
Says me who doesn't do enough excercise :oops:
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Blog article was written before the last series and to be fair, the average age was probably higher - more like 40 - 50.

It is an interesting concept, although obvious 'made for TV' etc.

But the Plastic Surgeons don't mess around and the cost of some of the work would be enormous I'd imagine.

I guess (being a bloke) that the main things about looking younger are.........

Good healthy diet
Sensible cosmetics (creams etc)
Sensible outdoor living in the sun
Hair maintenance
Wearing the right clothes
Dental care

but most important,

The right state of mind.

Would you agree?
wendy

Post by wendy »

absolutely..... 100%
Wendy

TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I'd agree with your list but I'd definitely add being physically active/fit :)

I think you had a thread somewhere else disagreeing with that one though ((w
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Looking younger

Post by AnnaB »

Tassie
I agree with the fitness thing, I don't exercise (I don't believe in gyms). The amount of exercise I do get is running round after this, that and the girls.
Chris being at home has made me a bit lazy as he feels he has to help - cooking and housework (Not all of it).
I get my walking going round the shops - not always buying unless it is needed and is a bargain (therefore mental energy is used!)

Richard
I go along with what you wrote the order I would put them in is:

Cleanliness - Body and clothes, there are still people out there that are alien to having a wash.
Clean teeth and hair.
Bright eyes - as windows of the soul.
Mental attitude is very important.
Keep learning something new.

The 90 year old lady in the village comes through to everyone as her eyes 'smile' - who has got time to look at her wrinkles?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Don't do the mad fitness thingy. Just Pilates and I walk for England. If I have some time, out Josie and I go. She will have 3 or 4 walks a day.
Don't think you can beat walking.
Wendy

seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

My work keeps me reasonably fit , along with the belly dancing. We eat healthily, make our own bread etc, and act like kids. I have been known to play in the kids park on the bars and swings and can do just as many silly things as they can. (f+ . My finger joints hurt a bit now, but that runs in the family and isnt life threatening so I ignore it. Inside I am still a teenager, I never grew up and still dont see any reason to. Got married at 40 so life began , next Feb I am 46 going on 16!!!!and mostly away with the fairies...and chicken )t( .hey ho! (f+
Looove chucks!