A moving end to my Sussex Star

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just over a year ago, because of a separation, someone asked me to take on their Sussex Star and Black Rock, which I did.

You find that when introducing new chickens that even after a while, a 'new pair' will stick together. These two did.

My Sussex Star had eye trouble a few weeks back (I diaried it). It got quite bad, not runny, just couldn't seem to keep her eyes open very well.
At one point I was going to put her down, but gave her a few days just to see.
She got over it and for the last 14 days or so has been OK albeit a bit separated and quiet.

The Black Rock is still having her broody days up in the second shed. I fed them all in the morning and they all looked fine.

I went to get the eggs in at about 4.30pm and found the Star laying still next to her 'friend' the Black Rock.
She obviously knew she was going and it seemed that rather than die somewhere else, she had gone to be beside the mate she arrived with.

I get sad when I lose a chicken, of course I do, but this is usually a little offset by the fact that almost all of them have been ex-batts and had at least some fresh air and sun before moving on.
With the Star, it's just how she went - really touching I thought

and it touched me.

Photo taken two weeks ago for the Fortnightly Diary
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oh richard
im so sorry to hear your sad news
isnt it funny how animals seem to know where their loyalties lie but always try to persuade us mere humans otherwise
my thoughts and biggest hugs are with you
kat xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh poor thing and how sweet to be with her friend.
Bought a lump to my throat, that did.
More big hugs
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Glad she went in her own time.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks for the replies.

You're right Mo, I'm glad she did as well. I detest having to put one of the chickens down, I've done it about 4 times, but only when it was really not nice not to.

I give them as much chance as I possibly can and the Star, although very unwell, was still getting around.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Sorry Richard about your news - sometimes it is better for the emotions to be moved.
I am thinking of Chris when I get the next 5 in July as he was in tears last year when he saw them.
melons
Legendary Laner

your little hen

Post by melons »

Oh bless that's so sad, why oh why do we have them?
Betty cleared off next door today via the smallest of smallest gaps, while I was moving their fencing, I was having a total mental about it, all I saw was a furry bottom clearing off through the undergrowth, neighbours were out, so I bamboozled through their garden looking for my escapee, we were there ages, Darran was on the other side of the hedge in another neighbours garden calling her, she was right behind me all time... if she had two fingers she'd have used them!
They worry me....constantly :?

edited - b_cos_1_can, 17/06/07
Cheers
mel x
Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

I guess we have them (and don't think I don't ask the question all the time) because they give us so much in their short lives... Richard's story has really brought a tear to my eye- our three girls are so very close... I have noticed that all three of our cats have started to look and act rather old lately, and though I know the time will come, and it won't make it any easier, I know we've given them (all rescue pusses) a better life. For every hen we keep safe in our gardens, it's a another away from the batteries.
x
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Sorry for your news Richard, it was really touching that she sought comfort with her companion. All of our animals have amazing bonds, proof that they have an intelligence far greater than many give them credit for.

Jodi