Re:Compost bin - fly eggs!!!!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
OldForum
Lively Laner

Re:Compost bin - fly eggs!!!!

Post by OldForum »

muppet9204
Help! 6 weeks ago we started to keep ex battery hens and have been putting the droppings into the compost bin.
Have just noticed that something previously unknown has happened. The outside and inside of the bin are totally covered in what looks like fine sawdust but is in fact light brown eggs. The top of the compost itself is covered in a thick layer too.
We have new neighbours moving in next week - probably just in time for a massive number of hatching flies. I have noticed an increase in bitting type flys in the last few weeks but put it down to the harvesting going on around us.
Any idea how to deal with this? Could we spray it all with something? If so, what?
How could we best avoid this in the future or is it an accepted thing if you add chicken droppings?

Richard
I reckon dig some out, spray, put some back in and go from there - or an insecticide you can dilute in a can, pour it in and let it soak down.

Sounds like pretty rich stuff. Are you mixing other things with the droppings?

I tend to empty the grass cuttings on top and cover all the droppings. But I can't say if this deters fly reproduction or not.

I've had rats living under the compost and a wasps nest, but not this.

muppet
Thanks Richard. It is a general mix of veg matter (peelings and waste veg etc.) and the droppings which are mixed with newspaper as I put a layer under the roost bars to catch the droppings.
What would you suggest we spray with? I am not too well up on pesticides. We did try dousing it with water last night to wash them away but they were all back with a vengeance tonight.

Richard
I phoned a friend about this and he suggest NOT using a fly killer.

He reckons to cover the top with a layer of earth and/or leave the lid off (if you've got one) for natural predators to eat them.
By covering the compost you're not letting the flies hatch.

With my wasps nest, I lit a fire next to it, put loads of dry cloths on which would burn and smoke, then ran for it - it did work.

They're probably fruit flies attracted by the kitchen waste.

Mo
It is the season for horrible horse flies too, don't know if they go for chicken poo

Richard
The other thing of course is to let the chickens at it.

When mine are out, they spend ages going through the compost heap. I know it's their poo that's in there but they're not eating that, just scraping away to get at whatever.

muppet
Thanks for all your helpful advice Richard.
We did as you suggested and left the lid off. The eggs seemed to disappear. We put the lid back on and hey presto - they were back in their masses and I mean masses.
Can't let the chickens in it as it is one of the tall plastic ones which narrow at the top. I don't think they would like it. We have decide to just leave the top off now and hope it will be OK. It does not seem to smell.
Our potential new neighbours actually backed out this morning - hope it was not down to our compost bin!!!!!

Richard

Probably :mrgreen: