Raspberries - will they fruit

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Muppet9204
Learner Laner

Raspberries - will they fruit

Post by Muppet9204 »

In the Spring I bought 5 new raspberry canes, all the same type (Glen Gory I think) and planted them in a border.

One did well from the start and the others finally started to show some growth and now look nice and healthy.

Today I looked for fruit and the one which started well is full of fruit but the others have none.

Looking at them properly I notice that these all look to be side shoots/suckers which have grown off the main stem - the main stem looking dead as a dodo. :shock:

Are raspberries like roses? Should these shoots have been removed? Will they ever fruit? Was so looking forward to raspberries on my cereal in the mornings.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am a raspberry novice.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello there,

I really don't know much about fruit plants, but I'm sure someone will come up with something.

Hope so, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Don't remove them! They should fruit next year .
You have to cut out the old wood after fruiting.
Autumn rasps are different (not sure about them)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I was interupted, while posting that.
Try again.
I can' find your variety but http://www.garden-marketplace.co.uk/fru ... cting.html and the BBC website have other 'glen' varieties that are summer rasps

Rasps fruit on ripe wood. This years growth is green, ripe wood is brown. So there should be brown wood with fruit, and green suckers for next year. After fruiting you cut out the old wood and keep the suckers. If you don't cut out the old wood then side branches will grow on it and fruit, but things will get very overgrown and spindly.

Long time since we planted rasps. I cant remember if you are supposed to cut them down when you plant them so that you get strong roots and growth for next year.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I was looking for some instructions on thinning plums for my daughter this morning in my excellent old book "the Fruit Garden Displayed".
It said plant rasps in November, cut them down so that they grow lots of canes the next year, thin the canes in Autumn, then enjoy fruits the year after.
Patience is a virtue!