Green Tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
OldForum
Lively Laner

Green Tomatoes

Post by OldForum »

Mo
We did well from 3 outdoor tomato plants but I had to buy some this week. There are still some green ones on the plant.
Do you think they will ripen? Should I bring them indoors? I'm in Cheshire, not the sunny south.

Don't say chutney, cos we don't like it.

[b]AnnaB

Mo
Went surfing for green tomato receipes last night - (am like you 1 jar of chutney lasts all year) pulled loads. I'm making 'Fried green tomatoes' for lunch tomorrow www.homecooking.about.com/library/archieve. Also there is a green tomato cake which I shall make when the chocolate cake is finished. I am adventurous! www.southernfood.about.com/od/greentomatoe1/
(spelling is US)!! Another one to try is www.food.cookinglight.com/cooking/receipefinder.
Best wishes

AnnaB
Mo
Made the green tomato cake today - its lovely, once you get over the thought thats its tomatoes! It tastes a lot like apple as did the slices dipped in semolina and fried. Hope you found a use for your tomatoes.

Mo
Well, I picked them, lots were already rotting, The rest are in a tub, to see if they ripen.
If they taste like apple I don't think I'll bother as I've move windfalls than I can use or give away.

Richard
I reckon they could be OK still, depends on the sunshine, but looks like that's nearly said goodbye to us.

I'm still picking ours but some are a little 'manky'.

Aren't the taste of the supermarket ones awlful after you've been eating your own for weeks - unless you pay through the nose that is.

AnnaB
Mo
They taste like apple (I've put nearly all my apples in the green bin - breaks my heart but I have nowhere to store them) but the nutrition content is different to apples so they are worth using. [/b]