runnie noses

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
shamrock
Lively Laner

runnie noses

Post by shamrock »

l just brought 3 new hens and l noticed today that 2 have a bit of a runny nose. does anyone have any ideas what it could be?l also am having to catch them with a net do you think l mit be stressing them out and thats whats causing it? )hlp> )hlp> confused> :!:

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
I have no idea about the runny noses. But I haven't had it with my girls. It may be some kind of bronchial problem or infection. I am sure Mel will help you out more than I.
I wouldn't have though catching them in a net would cause it. But I am sure it is frightening the life out of them. Why do you have to catch them? Can you not feed them from your hand, and that way they will follow you when you have food in your hand. Eventually even when you haven't got food.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

8ugger, I just wrote a biggie & I think I forgot to hit the send button, it's an age thing :oops:
Sneezing with wet noses isn't great, it could develop into something more sinister, not wanting to send panic waves, but just a minor warning, respiratory infections aren't nice. I took one of mine recently, she's an ex batt who was sneezing, but no wet, my vet said she has old scar tissue up there from a previous infection, she's not had a nose infection sinse I've had her, so it must have been a previous "farm" infection, it has narrowed her nostrils, she had some baytril for it for a week, he said she may well still sneeze, which she has, but at least we covered all avenues )t'
As for your girlies, Tylosin or Bayril seem to be the weapon of choice with vets for sneezes, but my guess, & it is only a guess, is a quick visit to see an avian vet :cry:
Chasing them about will stress them out a treat, if you make a daft little noise when you call them, or shake a pot of corn, they'll soon associate that noise with good things, as long as they get them )t' then easy peasy lemon squeezy, chickens you can pick up.
Cheers
mel x