eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
shamrock
Lively Laner

eggs

Post by shamrock »

As some of you know lm quite new to the chicken world and have had a few eggs but she as stop laying with this cold snap so hope she will start again soon along with the rest. but is it usual for them to stop laying in cold weather? would they be better in a shed or will they still lay out side in there laying boxs?l also got my 3 new girls to eat out of my hand today now l just need the other 3 hens and 1 cockerals to do it and also will 1 cockeral be ok with 12 hens or would there be enough hens to have 2 cockerals?

Yorkie
Lively Laner

Post by Yorkie »

One cockerel will be enough for 12 hens - I think my grandad had 1 for around 40 hens.
I believe hens lay through a season and then take a break - about the same time the moult - but I'm no expert and therefore suggest you wait for more informed advice appearing.

)ro(
6 Birds, 5 Pussies and a Wife!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

eggs

Post by AnnaB »

shamrock

You haven't got ex battery girls have you?...they should not have a cockerel near them until they are strong as he could break their backs.
I would have thought that 1 is quite enough for 12 hens otherwise they will lose all their back feathers.

I wouldn't have a cockerel for three reasons:

Girls have a bad time with their feathers scratched/pecked out.
They are extremely noisy.
There is 'babies' involved and I have enough worry with the girls.....
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Shamrock,

Welcome, first of all.

When you say your girls are laying outside what do you mean?

Our girls spend each night in a double walled coop with double walled nest boxes attached, they are only outside the coop during daylight hours. Then they free range round our garden. (ok, it used to be called a garden, the bigger plants are still intact)

We leave the shed door open when it is raining so they can go in and out at will for their food and water.
Everything comes to those who wait...
shamrock
Lively Laner

Post by shamrock »

What l mean is as lve only just taken some on and brought some lv not got a shed they have only got 6 laying boxs which 3 of them are home made by my own hands which to say are quit good even if l say so myself.but they arent free range just yet lm havin trouble with the cockeral and the 3 hens l had taken on my over 3 are fine.some times 2 some times 3 of them feed out of my hand. so any help would be great thanks?
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Are you saying they are outside all the time?

They do need to be covered and enclosed at night, for warmth and safety. A coop, shed, old kennel, all shut up properly with a small vent at the top to release their amonia and give them air.

Chickens often moult this time of year and then they are concentrating their energy on getting new feathers, that's when they lay fewr or no eggs for a little while, it is normal. Sometimes the shock of being moved to a new home can affect their egg laying as well.

Click on this link for more info on suitable chicken housing and feeding. http://www.downthelane.net/Page_7.html
Everything comes to those who wait...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I assume your pheasant pens would be fox-proof. I suppose in the wild hens would roost in trees. But most of us have some sort of shed or arc (quite simple to make). However, if I go out in the afternoon, and give the hens their supper early Bonnie sometimes jumps out of the pen (she's the one that gets bullied, so I haven't clipped her wings to keep her in), then I come back and shut then in, only to have her running out of the shrubbery in the morning.

I have 6 hens and only got 8 eggs last week, about 12 for a few weeks before that. All my customers keep asking, but only enough for us. Good job I froze some or there'd be no Christmas cake. Bonnie may be laying 'out' of course.
jandy40
Learner Laner

talking about eggs

Post by jandy40 »

Hi All another newbie here but what i want to know once i get my chucks how long can eggs last for out of the fridge as i was told it's better to keep them out! Do they go off? Is it better in the fridge? If a chuck dies, on one site says eat it! I suppose it depends what it died of? I have got a few tips of here so far but lots more to learn. I will keep ^b: on & add a few bits as i go along! I read the garlic tip but i have always told everyone it's good for keeping flu & colds at bay. Is also good for fleas as infuse in olive oil & rub into hand & wipe into cat/dog fur the wrong way to get in deep.

Thanks!
Andy
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Don't know how many days, but if you don't wash them, they'll last a lot longer.
An egg, when it comes out the 'bottom', has a very thin skin. Wash it off and the 'protection' goes, hence fairly short shelf life in shops etc.

Cheers, hope you got back on again !!!

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I keep mine in the fridge. I suppose the snag might be if you take them out cold and plunge them into boiling water they might crack.
When I bought shop eggs I used to keep them for 2 or 3 weeks or more depending how much baking I did, now I try to use them up or give them away quickly as there'll be more on the way - usually.
But I also keep a few whipped up in the freezer for cakes when they're not laying so well.
If I'm eating them I use the newest, for cakes the oldest in the fridge to use them up. And the in betweens are sold or given away, but they stay in the fridge less than a week.
If you want hard boiled eggs they peel easier if they are a few days old before boiling. Once you've boiled them they only keep a couple of days.The white of a very fresh egg hard boiled is less firm than an older one.

As to eating them it depends if you look on them as pets, and how well you cook them. They might be tough if you don't hang them too. Some hens are sold as 'dual purpose' breeds, with the idea that when they stop laying well you can dispatch and cook.
A lot of people on here are vegetarians, or sentemental about their pets. I have eaten one of mine but I cooked and hid it in the freezer till I'd forgotten who it was. I thought it was saving the life of another hen by eating that one. And it had been happy while I had it, I think.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A friend of mine had a smallholding with hens and goats, and was told to clean the eggs with a rough, dry cloth. Then Egwina Curry let the salmonella story out and small producers couldn't sell eggs without expensive testing. That's been changed again, we can sell to friends but not to 'the public' or put a notice up (officially).
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I keep my eggs in the fridge and mine last for quite some time.
I do not eat chicken full stop. But I would be very wary if your chicken died of natural causes. I just don't like the idea of anyone n eating something that wasn't healthy.
As I say I don't eat meat. But don't have a problem with people eating meat that has been humanely reared and slaughtered.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning