oh dear

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fenlander
Lively Laner

oh dear

Post by fenlander »

As you may or may not know i am expecting to get some hens in july and i have shared my excitment with my neighbours who have now contacted the local council to protest because they are frightened that if there is a bird flu outbreak i may bring it into the court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been told me that if i go ahead and have these hens then my neighbours (2) intend to take things further., not sure what the "further" means but i can hazard a guess. Do you want to know the laughable bit in all this they have no objections to my quail?????????????????????????????????

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

:shock: oh my goodness :shock:

thats amazingly rediculous!

i fear that i may have this problem soon enough on my hands so i went to INEBG forum! there are loads of people on there and they have had lenghty discussions about bird flu and its well worth a read to get loads of facts! maybe you could print them off and hand them to your neighbour!

what does the council say?
my council have said that if i get even one complaint, ill have to get rid of my ladies! :(

i cant believe some people are so.....so......so.....(cant think of an appropriate word - or an inappropriate one either) :?

good luck with it fenlander, keep us all posted as im sure im not the only one interested by the outcome!

best wishes
kat xx :)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Exactly one of the reasons I don't let my chickens out to wander down the lane (see Avian Flu page).
The fear being that someone's going to say how totally irresponsible I am and march down to the council offices.

They stand a greater risk of being ill strolling around the local supermarket amongst the germs than they do from this!

I would imagine that no matter how much literature you gave them, they would say you've only picked out the good ones!

I assume they believe in Aliens landing during the night!

Seriously though, I hope it pans out - absolutely ridiculous!

Let us know the outcome.

Richard

THE ONLY OUTBREAK OF THE 'FATAL' BIRD FLU IN BRITAIN - WAS IN A FACTORY FARM.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

oh dear

Post by AnnaB »

fenlander
I was in court last year (don't get excited everyone) on jury service.
The clerk to the court said he had 4 girls and he lived on a council estate. He said that the ruling for estates was up to 12 hens (check this out with your local council) but no cockerels as they would be too noisy.
Why does everyone believe what they are told? The powers that be want to keep everyone frightened. FSA let Sudan Red enter the food chain some time back and the latest payment of £600,000 to the multi-national cruelty farm beggars belief.
I firmly believe that this 'flu' has been around since time began and it is only through up to date research it has been identified.
I hope your council rules in your favour and don't forget to get a padlock for the run.....
Best wishes Anna
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

I have been told that if anyone complains then thats it, so now i dont know what to do, do i risk it then have rehome the things / it doesnt seem fair to put them through that after all they have been through when they could from the start with someone who has neighbours with a brain cell. But they are not moaning about my Quail (babs, ginger and jack). I feel very deflated now.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I thought that hens were perfectly acceptable as 'pets' and you'd only have a problem if you had a cockerel, because of noise.

Just say to them, oh well, looks like the rescued ex-guard dog Rottweiler then! Or have they a dog who fouls all over the place and smells when it rains?

Blimey, I'd be furious!

Richard
Last edited by Richard on 17 Jun 2007, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

so would I Richard.
I understand we can have hens, but again no cockerels...too noisy
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I'd be getting something from your coucil in writing stating what you can and can't have in your own backyard, presuming that keeping a couple of chooks is fine, then present this to the neighbors and request confirmation, preferably in writing, as to what "take things further" means!!!

Some peoples ignorance really gets to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Suggest to the neighbors that they could perhaps find more useful things to concern themselves with!!

Good Luck

Jodi
seahorse
Legendary Laner

nasty neighbours

Post by seahorse »

I take it that these nasty busy bodies have never purchased eggs or chicken products, maybe they havent seen the insides of a battery farm. I'm sure they would shut up then. Good job you dont have the colonel , he crows on the hour and in between for good measure. (f+ . Annie
Looove chucks!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting to note that a certain Turkey Farmer, who will remain nameless, got nearly £600,000 compensation !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6571157.stm

(please don't mention 'names' - Thanks.)
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

After some thought i invited my neighbours round and took them through the images and facts about battery farming and i did get through to them but what they have said is that in china people caught avian flu because they lived close to their birds, and that they would not under any circumstances agree to having chickens so close to them. all they kept saying was why keep them when you can go to the supermarket and buy them. the last straw was "were not digging for victory now you know". I know you will all groan when i tell you this bit, i said "i have bloody quail whats the difference" the answer i recieved was you cant get bird flu from quail its only chicken and other poultry". i rest my case IDIOTS. but i cant have them thats it, but why should i be suprised when most of these people see something move and kill it. we had tawney owls but someone's wife objected to the noise so her husband cut the old trees down. he got into trouble but nothing much happened
wendy

Post by wendy »

You despair sometimes don't you. Some people cannot be educated. Lets work on the children, because it seems a lost cause with your neighbours. Which is such a shame for you.
How about getting a wax image and working voodoo on it, so they leave and you get more ameanable neighbours.
I am so sorry for you.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ive had a really harsh day at work and im due on!

so when i got home and read this i flew off the handle. shouting at the computer! how can some people be so little minded for goodness sake!?!
these poor choooks have been taken from a life of misery and given a new lease of life! and these stupid neighbours are going to take it all away from the poor chooks! have they not had enough disturbance, do they not deserve a comfortable home which you have so kindly provided?

oooooooo im sooooooooo angry! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Last edited by b_cos_1_can on 20 Jun 2007, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.
melons
Legendary Laner

poxy neighbours

Post by melons »

That last one really made me laugh :)
My other 1/2 would tutt at me for broadcasting my cycle, but it still made me laugh.

Sorry about your neighbours... that's why I prefere my pets to people, they may have their spats, but they never go to war & have to win it :mad:

I've just had the most fab day off with mine, as my hen house was due to arrive.....& oh my god has it, I've sent a picture to Richard for everyone to look at & think that maybe, just maybe I've finally lost the plot, well financially I have, but it is for my 40th birthday prezzie next month :)
Girls like it, but then they'd like anything, bless em.
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

oh dear

Post by AnnaB »

Richard that's the £600,000 I was referring to and what happened about their employees base balling the turkeys for fun just before Christmas??