Chinese lanterns

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Chinese lanterns

Post by Babycakes »

PS - I knew about the balloons. And the poor turles eat plastic bags too - again they mistake them for jellyfish.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

saint-spoon wrote:
Babycakes wrote:I dont like extremists. I have found (and this is only in my personal experiance) that while they expect everyone else to alter their lives in accordance with their own views, they refuse to take any responsibility for how their actions effect others and similarly refuse to accept even the possibility that someone else not agreeing with them does not make the other person the spawn of satan.
Personally I dont "get" fishing for sport. I do a little sea fishing when I can, and I make a point of eating what I catch - otherwise I dont see the point. But if other people enjoy it, fine. They probably dont understand how much pleasure I get from making cards or doing jigsaws while watching wildlife documentaries. Each to their own - so long as it's legal )t'

Two points here, firstly fishing for fun is quality, it encourages wildlife friendly area far more than pastimes such as golf (cross country hockey). Undoubtedly there will be suffering to the fish that get’s caught, be it physical or stressful, but I do believe that the environment created by a well managed course fishery is vital to many of our invertebrate species as well as our small mammals and bird life.
Second point
I do find it offensive when one group forces their own opinions on another through means of ethics. Recently we have had two shops closed down because they were on the path of church goers who found them offensive, one was along the lines of Mrs Summers selling lacy stuff (probably other items as well but not on show in the front window) and another which was off the beaten track but probably more illicit. Although I have never used ever shops it does offend me that they were closed because it offended a religious group yet the same religious groups can actively knock on my door in the morning to try and convert me to their way of thinking even though I have a sign asking cold callers mot to bother me. There are also no regulations on high fat food shops selling kebabs to obese children on their way to school which seems like a big problem to me, and should be to the church goers, after all isn’t gluttony a sin?
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Dave wrote:
Babycakes wrote:I have a portapuzzle delux jigsaw board. I keep it under my bed (away from small people, dogs

but these are the sort pf places that all of the above
CAN fit under :shock:
so apart from jigsaw puzzles
what else do you have under your bed?

i have
old dvd/video players
our wedding album
an old curtain pole
some games (clue do ect)
and a set of old bamboo blinds that we used to have in the kitchen
thats whats under my bed

Under my bed I have another bed (in case of emergencies :shock: ) and lots of bricks and books (which are actually holding my main bed up as it collapsed twice) (don't ask yike* )
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wot no guzunder?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ahh...memories of childhood.... (f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Having read this thread I can see that it evokes VERY strong opinions, many of which I agree with.
On a secular level, I dont see how its possible to ban absolutely everything that offends but I do appreciate that there are many people who are thoughtless and dont think of anyone but themselves.

I originally was going to give an extensive reply on this thread but I can see that it has touched on some `raw nerves`, so I changed my mind.

On a `lighter ` note I would like proper light bulbs not to be banned by `europe`, and not have those awful b***** low energy things forced on us, that no-body can see by.

Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i just fitted a dimmer switch(wifes orders)
you cant dim energy efficient bulbs
so i have had go back to the old ones
:shock:
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

The trouble is that its getting more difficult to find proper light bulbs. We bought a job lot while we were away, for the table lamps in the caravan. Hopefully they should last for many years.
)c( )c( )c(
That`l learn em. Ha Ha
Lorna
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I hate them with a passion! OH put them in the kitchen, we have ceiling light thingies. It took minutes for the kitchen to have any light then it was all sort of dull and yellowy. He had to take them all out and put proper ones back.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Why didn't that underline 'proper'? Is that better? you clicked url instead of u - Mo
Oh and you can't read by the bl**dy things either they are so dull. It will now cost the nation a large fortune because people will ruin their eyesight and need operations and glasses and more pollution will be caused by the maufacture of the glasses.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Dave wrote:i just fitted a dimmer switch(wifes orders)
you cant dim energy efficient bulbs
so i have had go back to the old ones
:shock:

You can buy special dimmable low energy bulbs but I don't know if the normal dimmer switch works on them. :?

What about my chandeliers?????? Low energy bulbs don't come in clear.
Helen xx

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Dimmer switch compatible ones work differently to normal low energy bulbs, I think that they are based around halogen technology or something although I’m going on a half heard conversation between TV AM and an expert whilst cleaning the fish. What annoys me is that I was unaware of the ban until it was nearly upon us, I would have been a lot happier if I’d have know a couple of years in advance. The switch to digital telly has been advertised for years but I only found out recently about conventional light bulbs, it does reek of last-minute-dot-com legislation based on the fact that we are behind the curve for cutting emissions. Does anyone know when this was first decided?
I do however agree whole heartedly with reducing emissions so it is probably a good thing, I just wish I’d known earlier. On a plus it does also mean that low energy bulb companies will invest in making the bulbs less rubbish and cold. Fish tank lights come in a variety of spectrums from very warm and red to ultra white with a blue tint. The next move could well be to go to LED lights when the technology makes it affordable.

S-Squirrel please do post your extensive post, it’ll be interesting to hear your opinion.
Bah Humbug
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Weve know about the light bulb thing for some time. My husband picks up various nuggets of information from all over the place.

On the other element of your thread, I can see that there are many issues on which you are passionate and I say from the bottom of my heart , that I do not have the least problem on that score. BUT and I say this with caution because I really really really do not wish to offend anyone........
You have been very upset by `church goers` who it must appear to you are goody goody killjoys who have apparently forced two shops in your area to close by imposing their opinions on others in order to achieve this.
Yes there are some fundamentalist groups who will behave in this way
and I have met a good many of them in my time.
However as a church goer my self I can assure you that I am very ordinary and just like every other person who walks the earth, with all my faults and imperfections and I have NEVER EVER!!! forced my views down ANYONES throat in the 45 years I have been a christian. There are more church going folk who DONT force their opinions than DO.

It doesnt matter what your politics, gender, or religion are there is still a danger that you can be `lured` into exhibiting the same methods of getting your point across if you do not allow others to hold different stances.

In the same way that not all ecologists and environmentalists are outwardly millitant, they still hold the same passion about what really matters to them and that doesnt make them any less effective.In the same way so are church goes and other religious groups. "Environmentalists bang on about carbon footprints and load guilt trips on people to be better. Christians are all dour and prudish and want to spoil everyones fun".
Clearly neither of these statements can possibly be true. Its a mistake to make assumptions and lump everyone into catagories. Life is never black and white but made up largely of the grey bits which the two combined, create. ( not being a scientist I couldnt possibly argue that one out :-D )

As I have already said, I hope I do not offend but there are things about which I feel as strongly as you do. (f+
If its any consolation there is nothing worse than being shouted at from the pulpit or from some silly person in the street who thinks they have the definitive answer. It drives me up the wall too. (f+
Lorna
livvylang
Lively Laner

Post by livvylang »

saint-spoon wrote:[.
I’m glad that you are considerate about your dog’s feeling regarding fireworks but dismayed that you show scant regard for those animals that you can’t see; out of sight out of mind. I hope that you enjoyed your festival and hope that you will look into the issue more deeply and see the damage that a balloon or lantern can cause after we’ve had our moment of oooooooing and aaahing

A bit harsh and rather judgmental. I was merely stating an opinion...to assume I have no regard for animals I can not see seems a little obsurd considering I am on this site as I keep hens because of the appalling way battery/other hens are kept. I don't profess to be an expert on the welfare of all creatures..perhaps you are? what you talk about is terrible that I would not dispute..isn't it about people being responsible as opposed to banning all things...Oh and as for the "quaffing beers"..that too is a judgement..something else you may well have expertise in?
educating people to behave responsibly is what I wish for.in all matters, be it regarding animal welfare or other very important global issues. I for as much as I can possibly do behave rsponsibly.but I imagine there isn't a person amongst us that hasn't done something to endanger our environment..from using chemical shampoo to fumes spewing out of our exhausts..we are all guilty..being responsible..thats the best we can do.
you know who I mean..the crazy lady next door..laughs to herself and keeps chickens!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Firstly please allow me to apologise to both LL and SS; truly I did not wish to insult yourselves or your beliefs, I merely wished for an open debate and to hear a fresh perspective. I thank you both for that. Everyone is entitled to their own religious and ethical beliefs and I would argue that it’s healthy to have differences and to discuss openly differing perspectives. The original post was about the damage that Chinese lanterns cause (or could potentially cause), I put it on because I think that the post would enlighten anyone reading it and could therefore prevent animal suffering in the future.
Bah Humbug