lice

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bettysue
Lively Laner

lice

Post by bettysue »

another novice to chicken keeping. can any one recommend some thing to get rid of lice in my hybrid hens. having to keep them seperate because one is pecking out all the others feathers. they got on fine when we got them but one had less feathers and the minute they started growing the other one pecked them all out. have seen what looks lice wondered what was best way to treat her.

wendy

Post by wendy »

On another forum I am on, someone has suggested diatomaceous earth.
Apparently it is used a lot in the States and works on Red Mite and on lice, fleas etc. etc.
I have looked on e bay but it expensive to post, from USA. Omlet sell it, I think it is £4.99 for 100 grams. Bit expensive. But I am waiting to see how well it works before investing my hard earned cash :mrgreen:
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

lice

Post by AnnaB »

I use red mite barrier powder which I think is for all crawlies, around £7.50 for 500gms.
If you read up on it you could use essential oils.
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

just found that where i work sell a range of Johnsons pet products and the rep recommended Rid-mite which can be used on poultry. it comes in small enough amounts only £1.75 so it wont break the bank and is ideal for only two birds. It does come in larger bottle though.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

bettysue dont keep that kind of info to yourslef, share with us all, that sounds like a good deal!! :-D :-D
Last edited by b_cos_1_can on 22 Jun 2007, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

well i hope it was helpful.