Urgent... i'm really worried will she die?????

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I'm really starting to panic a bit now, Betty has been in the nest area all day, I kept checking her, & the last time, there was egg white on the floor, but she also was pushing alot, so I did a quick vent check & there was the start of a soft shelled egg, so in I went & retrieved the rest, now I've read all sorts about this & some say they can die from shock, what on earth do I do with her, I'm going to bring her in & put on on a heat pad & leave her in peace. She has laid one other softie, 3 weeks ago when we first got her, so I put it down to stress. She is quite under the weather & is normally really perky!
Any help would be great, I've tried Marcella's number & she's not in.
Cheers mel
Cheers
mel x

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I hope she's OK.
If you've read all the advice on other forums you probably know more than we do, I seem to remember being confused when I read it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
What a worry.
I think keeping her quiet and warm is all you can do at the moment, that is advice for shock. Hopefully Marcella will be in soon and can give you some advice.
They do have times when they are unwell and frighten the life out of you, and next day they are up and about. Lets hope it is the same for Betty.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oooo ive only just seen this, i hope she is better soon.

mine was ill recently and i was told to keep trying to give her water with sugar in it! she satyed yucky for nearly 24 hours and then perked right up!

fingers crossed for you and betty

kat xx
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

melons
How is she, did you manage to contact Marcella? You are doing the right thing by keeping her quiet and warm.
Best wishes Anna
melons
Legendary Laner

she's still quiet with her eyes shut

Post by melons »

She's on her heat pad, I've got "her" in the dining room, a sick guinea pig in the bathroom, jeez what next :mad:
Darran's gone out on his bike & I don't blame him, there'll be no conversation tonight without a hen or pig in it for a while :cry:
She had been "in" all day which worried me, then I saw all this egg white & thought an egg must have been dropped & trodded on, the maybe eaten, then round the back I went & there's all this stuff hanging out of her vent, I couldn't instantly tell what it was, so I thought prolapse, being an instant doom & gloom merchant :oops:
So I managed to pull it all out, then came straight on the net, as our vet is now closed for the day, if she is still bushed in the morning it'll have to be an emergency vet. She is usually so perky & always runs to great you, so to have her like this is a bit of a shock, I'm not great on chickens vents, but I do hope there's no more in there, there was no shell at all, just membrane
She took two sittings on wednesday to lay an egg, but I put that down to her being nosey, as my hen house was being built in the garden, & she wanted to get involved.
Keep your fingers crossed for her, & my pig, I think the pig is history though, bless,
oh when it rains it pours :cry:

Cheers

mel
Cheers
mel x
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oh mel

i really do hope theyre ok hun

i got ginueas too, its horrid when any of our animals get ill!

best of luck and keep us posted!

fingers crossed for you

kat xx
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

melons
Sometimes one of mine lays and then appears to forget she has done so - goes and makes another 'nest' and sits again. One day she didn't lay and next morning there was an egg and a membrane so I expect its how they are. I hope they are all right tonight and don't forget to get your sleep as if you are poorly you won't be able to look after them.
Best wishes Anna
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hope all's well melons. Nature is not very nice sometimes.

Let's hope she's better in the morning.

Take care now, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
melons
Legendary Laner

good news & bad

Post by melons »

Betty's better :-D pig didn't make it though, hate to say it, but I'd have been worse if it had been the other way round, the guinea pig had a good life, she came from a lab, so she'd had a good time here, bless & was quite old, I've got just the one now.
This hen worries me, her first ever egg was soft but complete, this one, the yolk was down her legs, the white was all over the floor, then the membrane was just showing out of her vent, I had this dreadful though that it was a prolapse & I was pulling it out further, phew it wasn't, but she was exhausted after, so i brought her in, this morning she's back out with her mates, I'll have to have a think on how to tackle this, they free range alot while I'm here, so think she should be getting enough grit, they are all actually sporting platforms at the moment, they are diging under the hedge & are all an inch taller in mud built up on their feet. They are having a wail of a time, unlike me who probably now has a heart condition.

On another quickie, I have lots of small tiny red 1/4 of a mm bead shaped tcreepy crawlies on the hen house, mainly on the outside, they're on the apple tree too, please don't tell me they're the dreaded red mites?????? I've never had them before.
Cheers
mel x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi melons,

Mixed emotions poor girl. I suppose that chickens are like us and have things which are always going to be there, maybe this is the case - good days and bad. Mystery.

Sad about your guinea pig. Lovely to see that he / she was rescued from a worse life, so feel good about the tlc he/she got from yourselves.

You'll soon know if it's the mites, they'll get onto you and if you don't shower after coming in from the chicken shed, you'll spend hours feeling them crawling over you.
Tip; They're always an inch further than where it itches, don't know why! Plus they're hard to see with the human eye (well, my old one's!).

On a brighter note. Before I clean the shed out I have the bath full. I clean, come to the back door, strip every item of clothing off outside, come in and jump in the bath.
One day someone's going to come round the corner just at the wrong time!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig, but it is sort of easier if they are older.
It does sound like the dreaded red mite. I first noticed, like Richard said, when I had them crawling on me YUK. I took all my clothes off in the conservatory and Spencer washed them straight away while I got in the shower. I have very long hair, and as I washed it they all were dropping out. Next day it was all out war. I did get rid of them, and so far no problems. But you win the battle but never the war I am afraid.....they will be back.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

melons
Am delighted about your girl and it is a shame about the pig (you will have to get another one now for its mate)
I am sure you have red spider mite I am using red mite barrier powder not cheap at £8.20 but it is green, organic and effective. Wash the coop out put clean bedding in and dust the bedding and sprinkle onto the sides and roof of the coop not forgetting the perches and then dust the girls - no more red spider mite.
I'm making a mix today with essential oils and will let everyone know how it goes. After that it will be diatomaceous earth.
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

pleased your hen is better what a worry. Like you i am a doom and gloom merchant. so glad she's pulled through
melons
Legendary Laner

Betty's done another

Post by melons »

Betty's done another softie, but produced it quickly herself with no ill effects, so maybe that's her after effect of the thunder storms, but god was she low after pushing all day yesterday, amasing what a bit of heat & TLC can do.

I'm still not convinced the mites are "the" mites, as the hen house is only 5 days old, I sprayed it instantly with poultry sheild, the girls smell sweet & beautiful sporting their red mite powder, which I used on their 2nd night after arrival, so I'm trying the prevention approach. These little critters that I do have are still wandering about on the outside of the house, they are very very small, no visible legs or joints between the abdomen & thorax etc, they look like round beads, I checked out google images & all their pic's of mites have legs, quite long ones, mine just move like they have feet underneath without the legs, trust me to have weirdo's :oops:
Oh well, I'll keep spraying & powdering & see what happens, I'll treat them like they're satan.
Thanks for helping out with suggestions. :-D
Cheers
mel x