Small coop

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Small coop

Post by AL37 »

Here is my latest project :-D
My sister in law has wanted some chooks for a while now but her hubby has always refused point blank to have any.
Mrs Al hatched a plan )t'
We are going to get her some chooks for her birthday that way her hubby has no say in the matter. We have told her that we are going to get them and deliver them and everything they need on her birthday.
So this is going to be the coop for three hens, I am also going to make a secure run.
The whole lot will be sectional so that I can deliver it and rebuild it on the day.
So far all I have spent money on is screws, glue and filler. All the wood that is not from pallets was given to me for fire wood )t'

Frame work.

Framework for nest box's.

Pallet wood floor.

Nest box dividers.

Nest box lid.

I will be filling all the gaps with flexible filler (nowhere for bugs to live) and the giving the inside a few coats of white paint. The outside will be painted with a similar shade of fence paint as the rest of the garden.
I will update this post as and when I get more done then finally toward the end of october with it in situ and three new chooks living in it. )c(
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
manda

Re: Small coop

Post by manda »

Looking good Al
I think for a house warming a pint of brown and a Stottie cake would be in order )lck(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Funny you should say that Manda I was just thinking the other day, its been a while since I had a bottle of broon )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

That certainly looks great and very clever of you.
But giving an animal as a surprise, sometimes, doesn't always work out well for the pets involved.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

AL you are very good with the hammer and nails, but be careful your chickens dont start divorce proceedings. :shock: Put yourself in hubbys shoes.

Ilona
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I agree Wendy, but it won't be a suprise as such for my sister in law we have told her the plan. The idea of giving them as a birthday gift is mainly to get round her husband.
This has been planned for around two months now and my s.i.l has been doing plenty of reading in preperation for the day.
Also I will always be on hand to help out with anything that should arrise.
(not that I am an expert, but I do know where to find a few) )t'

Ilona,
He has refused and protested about any animal they have had until they arrived. I honestly think he will actualy enjoy having them once they are there. And I know he will love the eggs as he can't get enough of mine.
manda

Post by manda »

I still think a pint (or three) aw broon and a stottie will swing it {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Blimey Al !!!!

Seriously, you could start a website on your projects. Buy a domain like 'pallets-for-diy' or something, it could take off I'm sure.

Google 'making stuff from pallets', there's only 44,000 pages - good niche market ????

Best be quick though, I might do it )de:

Richard

(wouldn't really!)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Thanks Richard I may well do that one day )t'
Got a bit more done today.
Strip of rubber inner tube to water proof the hinge area of the nest box lid.

I lined the roof and nest box lid with thick plastic sheeting then cut the wooden roof tiles. (sure there is a propper name for this kind of roof but I can't think of it)

A bit more paint.

I was planning to make a dorma style window but I might just make it the chooks door way.

bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

AL, that's really excellent, thank you for sharing it with us and providing us with such a well documented photo-journal. Also great that you have done this without spending a fortune, obviously you have spent a great deal of time on this, but I think someone is going to be very happy on her birthday. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

That is going to look fantastic when its finished Al. Very professional! I love the shingles on the roof. What posh chooks your SIL will have in their des res )t'
GrahamNR17
Lively Laner

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Looking superb already! I love the dorma window doorway, looks fabulous!

Can't wait to see the finished result 8)
They said "Smile, things could be worse."
So I smiled.................and things got worse.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I assume this will be in a permanent position. The first picture looked as if it would be light enough to move round the garden, but it got heavier with each post.
Well done. It looks really sturdy (that's the trade-off, mine is light but falling to bits).

How will she clean it out? My arc has none of the sticky-out bits and one of the sloping sides/roof hinges down. I find it awkward to reach over it (OH kneels on it, which is half the reason it 's falling to bits).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Mo,
I am going to make both the end pannels removable that way she can stand at one end with the brush and put a wheel barrow at the other end.
Then its just a case of sweeping the bedding out into the barrow.
Although the roof does have a few angles and differnt shapes to it, the floor area is still square. The nest box lid is hinged so they shouldn't be to awkward to clean out.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone )t'
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Nicely done- I think her hubby will be very impressed too! )t'
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html