How do you stop their water freezing?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

How do you stop their water freezing?

Post by 4pigs »

I have been going in and out with hot water to keep the chickens water from freezing (and also the garden birds water) but read here previously something about putting an oil in the water (olive?). Does this stop it freezing?
What do you all do to keep the water freezing?
Sorry if this is repeating a thread but i've not been on for a while and am having a problem trying to catch up.
Good to be back on.

Jo x

4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Re: How do you stop their water freezing?

Post by 4pigs »

Sorry - meant to read - "to keep the water from freezing"

x
perchy

Post by perchy »

I had success with putting olive oil in the girls water yesterday, today I did the same but it has formed a thin ice crust (easy to break) so have been out to the girls a couple of times, it has been much better than previously when I had ice sculptures from the water feeders, I just took a jug of lukewarm water out with me and the girls were drinking from the jug! I definitely think the olive oil makes a difference but today has been exceptinally cold, as said in a previous post I have big red nose and frostbite fingers!! They seem to be pecking at the snow so maybe they get some water from that??
wendy

Post by wendy »

Apple cider vinegar in the water.
A couple of balls to stop the water freezing completely. I have to say I take mine in of a night and it is under the tarpulin in the day.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

If you have access to one, an electric dog bowl is a nice thing, I put a rubber stock bowl under mine to act as a perch for the hens and to minimize splashing. It also radiates more heat up to the water. Also use apple cider vinegar and it makes the dish much nicer to wipe down. Some will put a red light over the bowl for heat...not sure how much you need in the UK, though I heard you have had some cold and snow...( I did not send that!) {hug}

There are also ways to make an insulated base for a bowl, requires things like an old wooden crate and some foam insulation you can cut to put underneath- remember the foam should not be in contact with the birds.

I think in your climate bringing some warm water along will probably be the easiest thing... )x2(
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thank you all for your replies - I do use apple cider vinegar... but it still seems to freeze over on the top. Just wanted to know what everybody else does to manage. You know "best practice" and always happy to try new things.

Jo x
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Hot or warm water freezes a lot quicker than cold water once it has cooled down.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

It has been very cold here too! The chickens water seems to be ok. I checked several times today. There was a thin ice layer on the water, but the chickens just peck it and get to the water that way. Mine also seem to eat snow.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
rainbowman
Learner Laner

Post by rainbowman »

Hi There, I found that a large terracotta flower pot turned up side down with a hurricane parrafin lanturn underneath it ( got in 99p shop) on a low light lasts about 3 days and uses about 1/3 cup of parrifin and a gulvanize water feeder on top of the pot, Ive kept it out side under a lean too in all the snow and frosts and it has not froze at all as it keeps the water above freezing. .
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I stopped worrying when I realised they are pecking the snow!

I have two containers and we change them over during the day. But if it is still like this when I go back to work I know they will be getting some from the snow.

I also put some big green leaves out for them. They don't eat them but they did delicately strip the ice off the leaves and eat that! Very odd to watch!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/