A couple of newbie questions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
rob.jarvis
Learner Laner

Post by rob.jarvis »

What can we use as bedding in the nest boxes?

On the chicken feeding page on this ws, it talks briefly about grit. Do they eat this and is it necessary?

Thanks

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hi rob, welcome to the site!
im fairly new to chickens too!
i use straw from local farmer in the nest box, some use wood shavings and some use newspaper, everyone has their own way of doing it! i spose so long as it doesnt poke their eye out or get tangled around them they are quite happy!

i feed mine grit too, they take it as and when they need it, most people do feed theirs grit as it is beneficial to their ladies!

good luck! hopefully see u on here agiain!
kat
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Rob,
Welcome to the forum, I use straw as nest box material. Don't use hay though as it is bad for their air sac's...too dusty.
They will eat the hen grit, but usually not loads and loads. It helps grind up the seeds etc in their crop, so it is fairly important. Oyster shell is to help with the egg shells. I just mix the two up together and it is put is a seperate bowl and they take what they want.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I give them oyster shell for the calcium they need to make strong shells, I also put all my eggshells on a plate in the bottom of the oven, then crush then up when they go brown inside (and the germs are killed). They do get some from the feed but I get better shelled eggs if I give it. It must really take it out of them to lay so regularlly (wild birds lay a few clutches a year, but ours have been bred to please us).
There is also 'insoluble grit' which is the little stones they grind their food with. If they are digging the garden they may find this, but it doesn't hurt to give then some.
I think I read a handful of grit /bird/week, can't really remember.

I use straw in the nest box and feed sacks opened out on the floor, under the perch.
Mine haven't read the books, so sleep in the nest boxes. So I need to remove the mess before they lay eggs in it! I also scrape the paper, so that they come to the nest with clean feet.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

For the nest box I use wood shavings.

For grit, crushed up roasted eggshells.

Welcome, nice to have you here )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

rob - what kind of chickens do you have or are you thinking of getting?

have you ever kept them before?

again - welcome!!

kat
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi rob.jarvis
As everyone has said they do need grit to grind their corn in their crops. Think of it as teeth! I use wood chippings in the coop and nest boxes I think its called 'Easibed' I find this is easy to clean out daily either with a plastic bag or glove on your hand! If they have runny feaces the wood is very absorbent and therefore you do not have to wash out the coop every time.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

As it's a little arc I use a paint scraper and tablespoon for my cleaning out.
rob.jarvis
Learner Laner

Got them yesterday

Post by rob.jarvis »

Milly & Tilly arrived yesterday and seem quite at home.

They're Gingernut Rangers about 16 weeks old.

I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn't go to the trouble of making a house for them (especially as I'm handy with DIY) but I just don't have time. So we bought an Eglu from Omlet.

Our twin boys (almost 3) absolutely love them.
Everytime we go down to see them at the bottom of the garden they come out of their house to have a chat (although I suspect they're seeing if we have any nice titbits for them).

We'll leave them in the run for a few days letting them roam in the garden.

Can't wait to see the first egg!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

rob ur not actually too far from me! odd! where do u get ur food and chicken bit from?
glad the girls are settled already thats great!
i know id have an eglu if i could, but instead i made mine all by me lonesome!
kids are amazing how they take on n e kind of challenge!
let us know when the first egg arrives and keep us posted on their progrss too!
tis eggciting when someone gets more chooks!

best of luck with them

kat x