How long could you survive with out............

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
melons
Legendary Laner

I'm utterly useless

Post by melons »

Well you all put me to shame, I can't cook, even if i could...I hate it. We've been together for 12 years & only had one evening where we had to cook for other people, & that was for my dad to say thank you for renovating the house. I begrudge every minute spent in the kitchen, OH is the same. We do cook coz we like eating, but that's where it ends, so going self sufficient is a none start. My parents were great at it, my dad grew everything, my mum knitted everything & did fab chutneys, my dad was an expert at not paying for a thing. I've got a bit of that in me, but not the cooking, I can beg, borrow or dare I say it...steal for England, not actual theft, but you know I mean, if it needs a home, in the car it goes.
Hence being veggie, as they used to try & feed me my pets too, that included the rabbit :cry:
Well done you lot. Maybe that's just how things used to be & we were far better off for it, we were certainly happy, even in knitted school uniforms, I looked a treat...not!
Cheers
mel x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

No need to be ashamed, Mel. You do what you do. I cook more than my daughters, but less than I used to.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh yes you can cook, as long as you can read....you can cook. Whether you want to is a different thing. LOL I love it.
But a condition that we married was he took me out to eat at least once a week. After 35 years he still does.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

My Hubby and I are sitting here trying to work out how long we could survive...
We have a big veggie garden, unfortuantely our free ranging chickens have trashed that at the moment...we have some puny rhubarb, spring onions that have survived through winter so far so not so much spring.So the veggies would be a bit of a problem but other stuff...reckon about 6 months
Lots of meat...some (3 cows) of it still walking around the paddocks (the fourth one is residing in the freezer!!) takes about a year a cow.....
Make my own bread so have lots of flour and other baking bits.

Got LOTS of eggs (I'm nearly through filling my third tray!!) I am going to have to freeze some!!

Yep we reckon 6 months
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

We're skint this month so we're trying to live off the allotment and the freezer & storecupboard. I think we have...

enough potatoes for about 4 months
seemingly endless leaf beet
about a dozen cabbages so 3 months at one a week if they will keep in the ground OK
enough onions for the month if I'm not too greedy - rubbish crop!
a few caulis - maybe 6 and they need cropping this month - they look like they're thinking of getting blown.
loads of cooking apples, a few a day falling off the tree
a slow trickle of courgettes
loads of lettuce
enough in the freezer to have meat/fish 3 times a week for a month
enough tinned tomatoes, rice, pasta and dried beans to get by and a tin of sweetcorn that came with us when we moved here over 4 years ago and I've never used (it hasn't got a sell-by date - should I chuck it out?)

So we'll have plenty to eat. But we will run out of flour unless I start making smaller loaves and I'll never be able to grow my own coffee beans!
There's no cure for stupidity.
manda

Post by manda »

Oh grief..I forgot about coffee!!!! My husband drinks so much of that we'd probably last a couple of weeks!!! :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't think I would want to do without butter and cheese.